The Photo Snob Thread

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went today, was so sick watching the pros get pitted in the barrels. Was defiantly action packed. Wish Parko won but o'well...
The crowed was massive as well. Quite a few good lookers around :lol:

Didn't really get any good surfing pics to far out for my 100-400mm to get shots I'm happy with.
Im in envy of the guys using the massive 800mm lens
Man, I couldn't get over the size of the crowd haha. I didn't even bother taking any shots today! Barrels are poop from the angle of the beach anyway, good for watching/filming. As were the lookers on that note :heh:

How insane was Kelly's super Barrel though, half the crowd went silent other half went "oohhh" in dissapointment... 2 seconds later he just appears. Guys a freak.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Don't be in evny there most likely 600mm f/4's not 800mm's, I bought mine in 2004 second hand for 11000 :loco: paid for its self quite quick thou something you can't do in the surf industry these day since in went digital and kids with 7d's are giving shots away for free and worst than that the companies ask for free shots and they know they can get free imaging by giving away product to the frothers.
Dude. Punctuate your sentences. And spell words correctly. Between the shit spelling and lack of punctuation none of what you say makes any sense.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Dude. Punctuate your sentences. And spell words correctly. Between the shit spelling and lack of punctuation none of what you say makes any sense.
It basically said the lenses he saw were 600mm's not 800mm's.

The surf industry is fucked since everything went digital.

Kids or douche bags give images away for free as they think seeing there name in a mag is a cool.

Companies are as bad as the kids/douche bags as they ask for images in return fora tiny amounts of product.

And I paid $11000 secondhand for my 600mm but paid it off as there was money to be had back in the early to mid 00's.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
It basically said the lenses he saw were 600mm's not 800mm's.

The surf industry is fucked since everything went digital.

Kids or douche bags give images away for free as they think seeing there name in a mag is a cool.

Companies are as bad as the kids/douche bags as they ask for images in return fora tiny amounts of product.

And I paid $11000 secondhand for my 600mm but paid it off as there was money to be had back in the early to mid 00's.
So kids with a talent for photography should just hide their images from the world so the established 'professionals' can make a bit of coin on near identical images? Should all the local surf companies who -if the business pages are anything to go by- are in the shit financially continue to pay top dollar for pics when they can get good quality images for next to nothing?

I'm not sure you realise just how marketplaces work.

heavyp

You heard it here first
So kids with a talent for photography should just hide their images from the world so the established 'professionals' can make a bit of coin on near identical images? Should all the local surf companies who -if the business pages are anything to go by- are in the shit financially continue to pay top dollar for pics when they can get good quality images for next to nothing?

I'm not sure you realise just how marketplaces work.
Talent your kidding me right ? (there are some exceptions and even those kids know that its all about good quality and trying to get a few bucks for the gear they or there parents have bought).

The amount of out of focus shit I have seen get run over shots taken by some of the best in the world is just ridiculous, and don't think that its just local companies I have seen the biggest companies in the world doing exactly the same thing.

Photographers have rates they have even tried teaching the next in line all about it like contracts etc and never to back down but it goes straight about the window once the companies get in contact with them and sugar coat everything.

The overall line is "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys"

wombat

Lives in a hole
If you can't justify to the client why your stuff is x times more expensive then of course you're not going to sell it.

Professionals can't just bitch about someone doing it cheaper, they need to show why clients should spend more. If the clients don't care enough about the quality then look for different clients.

You hear the same thing from wedding togs. Personally, I think the idea of spending 10 grand on wedding photos is ludicrous. I'm not saying some pros don't offer value for the money, I think some can deliver truly astonishing images; but personally I wouldn't put that high a value on the photos of my wedding. I'm sure others would though, so they'd be better clients for a high end wedding tog.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chalkie, I've got the 35L. It's a beautiful lens. However if I was in the current market for a 35 prime I would be getting the sigma. From what I've read it's actually built better than the Canon, plus sharper at f1.4. It's also significantly cheaper.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
L serise lenses what do we think? worth the coin? go the sigma eqivelant? just go a cheaper canon setup? what are your thoughts

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
L serise lenses what do we think? worth the coin? go the sigma eqivelant? just go a cheaper canon setup? what are your thoughts
I have the 35L and love it. Can't compare it to the Sigma as I haven't tried the Sigma, but I couldn't ask for much more from the Canon...it's a fantastic piece of equipment.

I also have the Canon 85mm f/1.8 and while I love it, I know i'm losing out not owning the 85L. The 1.8 is cool, usable and sharp enough, but it's flat, not that sharp and doesn't have those amazing L-series colours. From everything i've heard the 85L is the 85mm equivalent of the 35L, and knowing that, it's high on my list of lenses to upgrade to.

I also own the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and I don't believe it was worth my girlfriend spending the money on over the f/1.8 that I had. Planning on selling and putting the money towards other things. Like a 50L.

In my opinion, certain L-lenses are worth spending the money on...if you have the money to spend. The 35L is one of those lenses. The 50L or 85L are also those lenses, albeit slightly more expensive/hard to justify. The 35 just seems to work in every situation.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I love my 70-200. It's versatile (much more so on FF I reckon), sharp enough wide open and reliable. Only downside is I wish I'd had the cash to grab the IS version.
The 135L is something else thoujgh. I'd never really shot much with primes, but that thing is fantastic. Even better it's reasonably light, and was pretty cheap by L standards too.

On the other hand I can see why there's not always a lot of love for the 24-70. It's good, but I don't think it's great. I know it's never going to be prime sharp, but mine won't even hold a candle to the 70-200. It is definately quieter and more reliable than the Tammy 17-50 I was using before though.

Edit: Pictures:

europe_023 by shayne r, on Flickr

aguille-mid-station by shayne r, on Flickr

aguille-midi-pano by shayne r, on Flickr

europe_027 by shayne r, on Flickr

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
On the other hand I can see why there's not always a lot of love for the 24-70. It's good, but I don't think it's great.
Yeah, that's one lens I don't think will make one a better photographer. I owned it for two years and while it took some great photos, I always felt so uncreative while using it. Awesome for events or happy snaps and works as a staple bit of kit, but the only time it ever excited me using it was the first week after I bought it. Trading that for my 35L was, without doubt, one of the best equipment choices I ever made.

Oh, and buying a 5D3. :)

CraigS

Likes Dirt
All this talk of primes has got me re thinking my next lens choice. It was a toss up between an 85 1.2 and 24-70II.
I'm also very keen on the 24L for timelapse.
Can anyone loan me 5k?

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Having had the luxury of using a lot of lenses (my dad's a camera whore) I've recently started to build my own kit and have dived into the prime pool with a 35L, 85L and 135L. While still having access to many other lenses include the older 28-70L, 17-35L, 24-105L, 80-200L (old school), 35-350L ... nothing compares.

The dark horse of the prime kit would certainly be the 135L. So incredibly crystal clear.

The 85L is still a favourite:

and the 35L for the complete picture:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
All this talk about primes, and then seeing the stunningly sharp images as proof, I want to sell a kidney! :)
All seriousness, is there much benefit over a 24-70L on a 7D? If I can only buy 1 lens for my 7D, what would it be?

On another note, I have on loan a 30mm 1.4 Siggy, I think it rocks for the $$$$$.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone got any suggestions for places to fix lenses around melbourne? I've managed to break my 50mm 1.4, so now it won't adjust focus at all but the focus ring will turn... pretty pissed off.

Anyway, here's a snap from whilst i was filming a little while back, and because i can't be bothered posting in the video makers thread there's a link to the video below the photo:

Raymond Cole - Summer Playground Edit

Haven't filmed anything new recently, but really keen to do something new just not sure what just yet.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, that's one lens I don't think will make one a better photographer. I owned it for two years and while it took some great photos, I always felt so uncreative while using it. Awesome for events or happy snaps and works as a staple bit of kit, but the only time it ever excited me using it was the first week after I bought it. Trading that for my 35L was, without doubt, one of the best equipment choices I ever made.

Oh, and buying a 5D3. :)
Stop with all the 5d3 talk, I'm meant to be saving for a car damnit!

As for the 24-70, it's a workhorse I guess. Although it's not my favourite, I can't see myself getting rid of it either, it's too useful. For stuff like events, I just can't see myself getting away with primes alone.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Has anyone got any suggestions for places to fix lenses around melbourne? I've managed to break my 50mm 1.4, so now it won't adjust focus at all but the focus ring will turn... pretty pissed off..
There's a place in Collingwood that fixes camera sh!t. Not sure on lenses but.....now, I have no idea of the name but if you go into any decent camera store, they'll tell you what it's called.