The Photo Snob Thread

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Just a floating question... Anyone in Sydney had any experience processing 120 film? Any recommendations if so?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
10 photo panorama of Kanangra Walls stitched together with Hugin (great open source software!)

Ek155

Likes Dirt
A little pic from this morning
Craig, absolutely nailed it.

Just something I was thinking though, when it came to this photo in the new flickr 'feed' thing, I kinda scrolled over it. I mean, you nailed the exposure and composition for what you wanted and it is a stunning picture, but I just feel like I've seen this photo from you a few times before. I think I'm trying to say why don't you try looking at it in different ways? (Or from different locations - you live south of Sydney right? Surely the mountains/cliffs around Royal NP and Thirroul?) Might get a few shitty results but you definitely have the skill to make it work if you find a more unique way of shooting these sunrises.

Andrew, I'm not a portrait expert, but she is too small. Overtaken by the rest of the photo for the style you're trying to get. Have a good look at Callan's photos, if the subject is small in the frame they play more a part in the landscape than what she is. Also, try tell a story or evoke a feeling... these are not that interesting to look at.

And thanks for the reccomendation heavyp. I might give them a shot.

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Craig, absolutely nailed it.

Just something I was thinking though, when it came to this photo in the new flickr 'feed' thing, I kinda scrolled over it. I mean, you nailed the exposure and composition for what you wanted and it is a stunning picture, but I just feel like I've seen this photo from you a few times before. I think I'm trying to say why don't you try looking at it in different ways? (Or from different locations - you live south of Sydney right? Surely the mountains/cliffs around Royal NP and Thirroul?) Might get a few shitty results but you definitely have the skill to make it work if you find a more unique way of shooting these sunrises.

Andrew, I'm not a portrait expert, but she is too small. Overtaken by the rest of the photo for the style you're trying to get. Have a good look at Callan's photos, if the subject is small in the frame they play more a part in the landscape than what she is. Also, try tell a story or evoke a feeling... these are not that interesting to look at.

And thanks for the reccomendation heavyp. I might give them a shot.
Cheers. I was actually not planning to shoot there that morning but after I had left home the cloud shelf had moved from where I was planning to go so I had to make a decision on the fly whilst driving in the dark with minimal time to get to many other locations.
I have lots of plans for new shoots in the near future and some will be alot more remote than what I normally do.

Now to show off my new acquisition I received last night. A big upgrade in camera storage and portability :biggrin1:

1000473_10151725117086329_411393962_n.jpg

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Full review please Craig!
What size icu did you go with?
I've only taken it out of the bag so far (the bags come in their own cloth bag so you know you've bought quality).
First impression is, there is so many pockets for storage.
Easy access to everything and straps galore for attaching items to the outside.
I'm also ordering some gatekeeper straps to attach hiking gear (sleeping bag, etc), the wet weather cover which I still think should be included, and a hydration sleeve so I can use my 3Lt Camelbak bladder.

I got the large pro ICU for the simple fact that the shooting I'm planning to due with require a fair bit of gear. I'll be carrying gripped body, 3-4 lenses, filters, triggers, laptop, lights and another toy I'm saving for that I'll keep quiet for now

I'm hoping to give it it's first outing this weekend so I'll let you know how it fairs.
Here's a pic of the size difference from my Lowepro Flipside 400AW which is not a small bag either.

602466_10151728004651329_1468747146_n.jpg

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That strap idea is genius, the amount of times I've forgotten my bag is open and picked it up and everything fell out is few too many.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
my manfrotto veloce iii has the velcros strap, and fits roughly between the size of those 2 bags.
perfect for my 15.6" laptop, ipad mini, 5Dii, 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 50 1.4, EX580ii, chargers and a few other odds and ends.
and best of all, opens from the back so no-one can steal your shit/things cant fall out.