The QUICK question thread.....

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Cussing SRAM...even LBS didn’t have the specific Bleeding Edge adapter in their kit.
No worries, I’ll fit my spare button remote for now. Nope, it’s a completely different connection.
Cuss you SRAM, you bastards.
What size does he need? I have a couple of external routed (100 & 125mm) and an internal routed 125mm we could do for a good price.

moorey

call me Mia
What size does he need? I have a couple of external routed (100 & 125mm) and an internal routed 125mm we could do for a good price.
Cheers. It’s a 150mm. He wanted more but can’t anyway due to not being able to insert the post in a frame any further already.

It’s a cussing stupid proprietary tool that threw spanner in the work. LBS had a variety of avid/rock shox bleed adapters, none fitted or reached.

I went rogue and applied a ton of Teflon tape to the standard reverb bleed adapter, and got it done.
Stupid reverb.

Brow

Big Block
Anyone had any issues running 15x100 front wheel in 15x110 forks with adapters?
Any adapters better than others?

I have read plenty about the tech etc, my riding won't push any combo too hard. Possibly going on a 160mm hardtail.
Having non boost frame means either buy wheels separately or go for non boost set (possibly cheaper) and run adapters on the front.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Anyone had any issues running 15x100 front wheel in 15x110 forks with adapters?
Any adapters better than others?

I have read plenty about the tech etc, my riding won't push any combo too hard. Possibly going on a 160mm hardtail.
Having non boost frame means either buy wheels separately or go for non boost set (possibly cheaper) and run adapters on the front.
I'm running adaptors on a 170mm fork on a hardtail at the moment, zero issues!

If your hub manufacturer does specific adaptors they'll be the best bet, otherwise I don't see why the eBay ones wouldn't work, just a little more messing about for install.

Minlak

custom titis
I am being especially challenged mentally tonight - I wrecked a tyre today and have to order a new one - I decided whilst ordering a tyre I should get some XT brake pads too since I have 3 sets now and no spare pads. Why cant I find the right pads?
I want XT brake pads to suit BR - 8120 XT brakes - which model are they ?

I found ones labeled as XTR but then say for 9120 and no others.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You want finned or non-finned? 9120 XTR, 8120 XT, 7120 SLX & 6120 Deore use N-series finned pads, or D-series non-finned. N-series can't be subbed with (or for) the H-series of previous-model 4-pots 'cos the fin & caliper shapings are different, but the non-finned will fit all Shimano 4-pots from M800 Saint onward. XTR versions have a titanium backing plate option, but that's the only difference.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah , like @Duckmeister better description - but cheeeeese they are pricey
ps e-bikes eat brakes . Buy two sets when on special .

Minlak

custom titis
You want finned or non-finned? 9120 XTR, 8120 XT, 7120 SLX & 6120 Deore use N-series finned pads, or D-series non-finned. N-series can't be subbed with (or for) the H-series of previous-model 4-pots 'cos the fin & caliper shapings are different, but the non-finned will fit all Shimano 4-pots from M800 Saint onward. XTR versions have a titanium backing plate option, but that's the only difference.
That helps heaps - thanks - I want finned of course - I need all the kool aids

Shredden

Knows his goats
Unless you're really heavy or doing very long steep descents the pads that suit M810 Saint brakes also fit fine. I prefer them for two reasons:

• They are a lot cheaper.
  • They are quieter (I find the finned ones rattle a bit, they seem to hit the rotor and make a "ting" noise when you're not on the brakes). I think this is because the weight of the fins causes the pad to cantilever a bit around the retaining pin and bounce off the rotor.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I am being especially challenged mentally tonight - I wrecked a tyre today and have to order a new one - I decided whilst ordering a tyre I should get some XT brake pads too since I have 3 sets now and no spare pads. Why cant I find the right pads?
I want XT brake pads to suit BR - 8120 XT brakes - which model are they ?

I found ones labeled as XTR but then say for 9120 and no others.
Do you even Google, e-bike fanboy? :D
Go to the bottom of the page on the link and click on the brake pad you want and it gives you compatible model numbers.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-xt-m8100/BR-M8120.html

ausdb

Being who he is
Just a quick Q, I'm fitting some used XT M780 cranks and the Shimano techdocs show two rings item 5 (Y1F316000 Ring) on the innner face of each crank arms. How crucial are they if they are missing?
Same as item 4 (Y1FU98120 Plate) the tab with the little pin in it, as it's munted beyond repair.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Item 5 is handy if you need to budge the crank arm out off the non-splined part of your axle, just a tiny little bit. Otherwise I don't think you need it and I can't recall using one with my xt cranks a few years ago.

The other thing is just there to make sure you align the crank properly isn't it? I can't be 100% sure on that, but I'm fairly certain it's unnecessary.