The QUICK question thread.....

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Depends what are supplied/specified by the rims. If washers aren't specified, it's a heap easier to build without them.
Yep, buying one rim which comes with the proprietary nipples and washers.

Might be getting another rim without the proprietary nipples and washers.

Just wondering if anyone has built up dt swiss rims (xm481 specifically) using different brand washers and nipples with success.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If the supplied nipples are aluminium, turf 'em & use brass, but still use the supplied washers, they're shaped to match the rim. Washer thickness is also factored into the ERD measurement.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
If the supplied nipples are aluminium, turf 'em & use brass, but still use the supplied washers, they're shaped to match the rim. Washer thickness is also factored into the ERD measurement.
Yes, I believe the supplied ones are alloy. Have heard the dt swiss alloy ones are alright.

But have always thought brass was a better option.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
But totally worth it (3C) on the front?
3c is softer so more grip but wears faster. More grip on the front and longevity on the back. Saying that I think I have dual compound on the front of the hardtail and that thing grips like hell in corners (DHR2).

TLDR - don't put soft compound on the rear unless your racing as they wear out super fast in my experience.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Good to know! Looks like I'll be cheaping out on rear end rubber from now on. Cue all the weirdos with their gay jokes..

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Good to know! Looks like I'll be cheaping out on rear end rubber from now on. Cue all the weirdos with their gay jokes..
2C side knobs are super soft, and can squirm around under heavy cornering on hard surfaces, 3C have soft caps on hard bases for the side knobs, which hold their shape better when cornering, but they used to shear off at the interface. Not sure if they still do....it's been a long time.

#freebritney

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
2C side knobs are super soft, and can squirm around under heavy cornering on hard surfaces, 3C have soft caps on hard bases for the side knobs, which hold their shape better when cornering, but they used to shear off at the interface. Not sure if they still do....it's been a long time.

#freebritney
I sheared off a side knob from a 3C DHR II (on the back). Although that was a freak vertical load incident rather than any kind of cornering event.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I sheared off a side knob from a 3C DHR II (on the back). Although that was a freak vertical load incident rather than any kind of cornering event.
Just get 70a and save a ton of money and increase your speed.

Disclaimer: any and all monies saved will be required towards near future medical invoices.

#freebritney

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Give Trek in Hoppers a call - or the Port Melb store .

Both carry a lot of spares stock ( as in if i have borked something they usually have it )