The QUICK question thread.....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How long do people headsets last for? I seem to be going through a headset phase. Done 4 of my 5 bikes in the past month. If i had known I should have bought the actual tool.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
How long do people headsets last for? I seem to be going through a headset phase. Done 4 of my 5 bikes in the past month. If i had known I should have bought the actual tool.
I've got CKs that are probably a decade old with no sign of wear.

Cane Creeks have easily replaceable bearings although I've never had one go.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Very subjective but in my experience:

CK, forever.
Cane Creek cheaper ones, 1 to 24 months. Probably goes for FSA also.
Cane Creek 110 seem better, 1 to 3 years maybe. They do have that new hellbender bearing now that they offer with lifetime warranty.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Very subjective but in my experience:

CK, forever.
Cane Creek cheaper ones, 1 to 24 months. Probably goes for FSA also.
Cane Creek 110 seem better, 1 to 3 years maybe. They do have that new hellbender bearing now that they offer with lifetime warranty.

Far out man, are you rampaging dh courses with roadie headsets? They all last forever! Even cheap and shitty ones last...I've tossed a few over the years, but not many. Keep them clean lubed and tight for a happy life of fat ploughman riding and jump casing.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Far out man, are you rampaging dh courses with roadie headsets? They all last forever! Even cheap and shitty ones last...I've tossed a few over the years, but not many. Keep them clean lubed and tight for a happy life of fat ploughman riding and jump casing.
#doyouevenride

Flow-Rider

Burner
Same here, I've had one cheap set fail from water damage and most likely from washing the bike with high pressure water.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not sure. I run the fork mud guard and don't even wash the bike (I think my 2013 bike has been washed 5 times in total). The symptoms are a bit of play under brakes. Rotation wise, they are fine and not gritty at all.
You can usually adjust the play out of them if they haven't been left too long. Some headsets need shimming washers or they bottom out when you re-tighten them. It's not impossible to have headset bearings wear out but to have so many at once is a bit out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Ok - rider fit question - ETT vs Reach & seat tube angle: if the first bike (Cotic) here fits me well, should the second (Smuggler) fit well too? even with a shorter ETT (due to steeper seat tube?) These are only geo numbers I can quickly scrounge for both...

Cotic Solaris (2013)Transition Smuggler (2016)
MM
ETT604.5590
HA7067.5
Chainstay440436
Reach429.3432
ST angle72.575.4

Additional info: I run the Cotic with a 60mm stem (shortest recommended for that version, tried 45 and it gets me too cramped). Also ride a L Process with an ETT of 629 and reach of 460, but that bike is more for plowing over everything (and is probably too big for trail riding - which is 95% of what I do now)

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Not sure. I run the fork mud guard and don't even wash the bike (I think my 2013 bike has been washed 5 times in total). The symptoms are a bit of play under brakes. Rotation wise, they are fine and not gritty at all.
loosen stem bolts... tighten centre cap bolt into star nut, symptom resolved.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok - rider fit question - ETT vs Reach & seat tube angle: if the first bike (Cotic) here fits me well, should the second (Smuggler) fit well too? even with a shorter ETT (due to steeper seat tube?) These are only geo numbers I can quickly scrounge for both...

MM
ETT604.5590
HA7067.5
Chainstay440436
Reach429.3432
ST angle72.575.4

Additional info: I run the Cotic with a 60mm stem (shortest recommended for that version, tried 45 and it gets me too cramped). Also ride a L Process with an ETT of 629 and reach of 460, but that bike is more for plowing over everything (and is probably too big for trail riding - which is 95% of what I do now)
~15mm is a lot of ett. But you'd have more reach. Smuggler was probably designed to run a stem shorter than 60mm as well, so maybe it's going to balance out.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Isn't your motto "Ride for life" you don't even own a car ? :)
I ride fairly often. Not a lot of braking around the city though. On trail I'm a cross between plough and nervous nanna. Way too much braking straight into trouble.

loosen stem bolts... tighten centre cap bolt into star nut, symptom resolved.
Nah sounds like he needs to throw it in the bin. Should probably bin the whole bike actually. Just to be safe.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

MM
ETT604.5590
HA7067.5
Chainstay440436
Reach429.3432
ST angle72.575.4

Check the stack too as that effects reach a bit.

But assuming stack is comparable - If you were too cramped with a 15mm shorter stem, you'll feel exactly the same amount cramped when seated on the Smuggler, just with your weight 15mm further forward. Standing/attack position probably wouldn't feel any different to your current bike though (aside from the slacker front end).