The QUICK question thread.....

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
More info please >>> wet the colorbond first? Or hose the crap out of it after?
more info ->

don't go overboard on acid concentration.. but any contact is not great, mask if at all possible.. (ongoing, the residual chlorine is just as bad as the acid)

"BlueScope recommends that, wherever possible, acid cleaning should not be conducted following the installation of metallic coated
items. However, when this is not possible, it is recommended that the areas be appropriately masked during the acid cleaning
operation. Where the possibility of inundating the metallic item exists, the item should be thoroughly wetted prior to the application of
the acid to the adjacent brickwork. Immediately after acid application, the item should be thoroughly washed with water a number of
times, working from the top of the brickwork to allow complete removal of the spent acid products.
It is essential to recognise that no matter how unusual or difficult the building design, or how good the quality of the workmanship, poor
practice during brick cleaning will result in complete degradation of the metallic components associated with the project"

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
How compatible is a 400 x 2.75 imperial RS spring on a 205x62.5 metric shock?

Both the imperial and metric are 151mm long and look identical to me but I need a sanity check.

tl:dr bought a super deluxe coil off marketplace and came with imperial spring

Thanks!

imperial2.jpg

metric.png

Litenbror

Eats Squid
New banshee frame was creaking up a storm as I rode out this morning so swung round and took it back to the garage. Worked out it was the linkage creaking so cracked all the bolts and found the bearing for the left hand trunnion mount was fused to the bolt. Attempts to get the bearing off have failed and ended up busting the bearing, now the inner race is stuck to the mounting bolt. Any and all ideas welcome.

PXL_20230903_025712838~2.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
New banshee frame was creaking up a storm as I rode out this morning so swung round and took it back to the garage. Worked out it was the linkage creaking so cracked all the bolts and found the bearing for the left hand trunnion mount was fused to the bolt. Attempts to get the bearing off have failed and ended up busting the bearing, now the inner race is stuck to the mounting bolt. Any and all ideas welcome.

View attachment 402224
Dremel and a needle-point abrasive bit through the inner race a little at a time until the race can be "popped" open with a screwdriver? Little bit by little bit though, bearing race is going to be a lot harder then the aluminium bolt!

ausdb

Being who he is
Dremel and a needle-point abrasive bit through the inner race a little at a time until the race can be "popped" open with a screwdriver? Little bit by little bit though, bearing race is going to be a lot harder then the aluminium bolt!
What he says but maybe try some thermal cycling first with some reducteur or similar to see if you can take advantage of the different thermal expansion coefficients.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Yer, freeze first, see if alloy shrinks enough.
If you know anyone with liquid nitrogen, the aluminium won't get brittle. (The race might, but whacking it to fracture might dent the bolt).
For dremel, i'd try and grind a flat on both sides of race with cutting disc.. the heat might expand it enough then can use allen key+flats to turn and dislodge.
At worst, grinding just through on each side, will fall off

Litenbror

Eats Squid
What he says but maybe try some thermal cycling first with some reducteur or similar to see if you can take advantage of the different thermal expansion coefficients.
Yer, freeze first, see if alloy shrinks enough.
If you know anyone with liquid nitrogen, the aluminium won't get brittle. (The race might, but whacking it to fracture might dent the bolt).
For dremel, i'd try and grind a flat on both sides of race with cutting disc.. the heat might expand it enough then can use allen key+flats to turn and dislodge.
At worst, grinding just through on each side, will fall off
Yep it's in the freezer at the moment to see if I can wiggle it off.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yep it's in the freezer at the moment to see if I can wiggle it off.
It is royal PITA when it happens and I feel your pain. Freezing might work.

If you have one of those electric multitools and a steady gunslingers hand then try to cut a notch in the race. Put a flat head in said notch and twist.

Or call Banshee and ask for a spare bolt :)

Litenbror

Eats Squid
It is royal PITA when it happens and I feel your pain. Freezing might work.

If you have one of those electric multitools and a steady gunslingers hand then try to cut a notch in the race. Put a flat head in said notch and twist.

Or call Banshee and ask for a spare bolt :)
Came out of the freezer and started turning in the vice. Crack crack crack and the Inner race fell off. There is a bit of damage to the bolt, few chunks out of it, but looks alright. Will give it a rub with wet and dry, will there be any issues with the new bearing anyone think?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That is a win. Well done sir.

As above, if the bearing just seems to seat right on the bolt without play and all good. Glad you saved it.

I will have to try the freezer path next time instead of belting things and grabbing power tools.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sounds like you should take Banshee to court. This case is going to be worth millions of dollars due to the anguish.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
So it seems the smashed bearing is a little uncommon...

Qty. (6) - 6001 LLU MAX Enduro Bearing

Qty. (2) - 6900 LLU MAX Enduro bearing

Qty. (2) - F6900 LLU MAX Enduro bearing

Can't find a banshee V3 bearing kit anywhere in Australia and the problem seems to be the two flanged bearing for the trunnion mount. Looks average but would the bearing below do the job?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Cura4 question
Anyone else get a lot of pad rattle over rough ground? I’m looking for ideas on silencing them.