The riding thread.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
If you're a fan of totally screwing your local scene.
I guess when the kiddies order everything online the local shops will at least get some work putting all the parts on.
You make it sound like no one would even think about riding a bmx if it wasn't for the local bmx store.

robertv

Squid
Well considering that I'm from an island in the Caribbean with no BMX stores, one old BMX track from the 70s and until 2 years ago no real skatepark(and the current skatepark barely counts) and I first started riding a bmx bike there you are definitely getting the wrong impression. This was before the internet so we had to make do with the random bits of BMX that ended up in the island's shops.
Yeah people will still ride. Sure.
Doesn't mean you're screwing over your local scene any less by buying from overseas. You should buy local. Or you could buy from danscomp and support some fat bald men(teehee) in suits who don't ride bikes. Or you could shop at empire and support the scene in Austin.

To put things in perspective, I'm not Australian and I would sooner spit on my grandfathers grave than support a mail-order over a local shop.

At least when I throw my legs over my ride I don't have to feel dirty about it. :cool:

Last edited:

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Well considering that I'm from an island in the Caribbean with no BMX stores, one old BMX track from the 70s and until 2 years ago no real skatepark(and the current skatepark barely counts) and I first started riding a bmx bike there you are definitely getting the wrong impression. This was before the internet so we had to make do with the random bits of BMX that ended up in the island's shops.
Yeah people will still ride. Sure.
Doesn't mean you're screwing over your local scene any less by buying from overseas. You should buy local. Or you could buy from danscomp and support some fat bald men(teehee) in suits who don't ride bikes. Or you could shop at empire and support the scene in Austin.

To put things in perspective, I'm not Australian and I would sooner spit on my grandfathers grave than support a mail-order over a local shop.

At least when I throw my legs over my ride I don't have to feel dirty about it. :cool:
If you're buying parts from a local store you're potentially supporting a distro which may have exactly the same attitude as you described danscomp as having.. BMX International for example. Don't get me wrong I still buy all my bmx stuff from my LBS, just sayin =3

mtb_mark

Likes Dirt
what people are saying is that you are a better person if you buy from LBS? i buy from whatever helps me the most. if that is backbone, instead of my local, then so be it. in the end the LBS isn't supporting you, they are making money, just like the rest of us.

robertv

Squid
I was joking a bit there at the end. Besides, I'm not a better person for buying local. Other people are just bad people for not buying local.
And again, I'm kidding. A little bit.
Well hey, backbone is maybe not local to you but you're at least buying from someone within the Australian industry, so they're competing at the same level as other shops in Australia. Nothing too terrible about that. And backbone supports the Australian scene don't they? Well then, hardly anything wrong with that.

robertv

Squid
If you're buying parts from a local store you're potentially supporting a distro which may have exactly the same attitude as you described danscomp as having.. BMX International for example. Don't get me wrong I still buy all my bmx stuff from my LBS, just sayin =3
Danscomp is pretty messed up though. They're about as corporate as it gets. The same people who own danscomp own the sisterhood of the travelling pants, seriously.
If you're gonna mailorder you really should order from any one but dans. They are and always have been the worst. Fake T1 shirts, fake parts, fraud, you name it and they've been associated with it at some point.

robertv

Squid
Probably!
Anyway, riding thread! Check out the hellonwheels blog for some rad shots of tom and dave riding this past sunday.

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
Finally learnt how to crooked and crank slide the other weekend. I'm a beard.

I am now close to landing tooth hangs which is something I have wanted to learn for quite a while.

GUMP

Likes Dirt
just a quick question.

if i was to run a Mds on a set of power bites i have to run the Mds backwards? yes?

Leeday.

Likes Bikes
Thanks harry, ya fuck!

just a quick question.

if i was to run a Mds on a set of power bites i have to run the Mds backwards? yes?
If you're running 30t you should be fine but anything lower (ie. 28, 27, etc.) you will have to run it backwards or file the arm down a little bit so that it fits

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey everybody! Long time no post, thought I might post up this edit my mate made up of me trying to flip Umina spine, I didn't end up getting it but it was fun anyway.
[video=youtube;EmUl0297N7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmUl0297N7w[/video]

robertv

Squid
Last ride at fivedock before I go back to europe yesterday. Half an hour in I get a flat. I usually have a spare tube and a pump but not this time. After chucking my bike throwing a fairly childish hissy-fit for a moment and then cooling down I fixed it with some electric tape and proceeded to ride a fairly kink/flatspotted tyre. Fuck I'm gonna miss fivedock.

Leeday.

Likes Bikes
^WHAAAAAT? You're leaving?! Gonna miss riding with you at dully for sure

Also, to anyone after a 25t sprocket, my friend is wishing to get rid of his odyssey burlington that he has ran for about two weeks... 40 posted