The Single Speed Thread

Handekk

Likes Dirt
Bb

If it is a 68mm english thread BB you need 2 x 2.5mm spacers on the drive side and one 2.5mm on the non drive side.

Igofastdh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it is a 68mm english thread BB you need 2 x 2.5mm spacers on the drive side and one 2.5mm on the non drive side.
It's a Surly 1x1, so according to the website it's a 73mm English thread. I run a hollowtech II bb, same as in the photo.

Handekk

Likes Dirt
in that case the I think shimano recommend that you run a 2.5 on the drive side and none on the non drive side.
hope that helps.

mr626

Likes Bikes
Finally done! (see post your ride thread for more pics/specs)

Great to ride. Loving these 2.4 Rubber Queens- can blast through sand where previously I'd get stuck.

Last edited:

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Have blown through 2 spokes on the rear drive side of my GT Peace 9r this week. :(

Too much torque ;)

Looking for a 29" single speed rear wheel and not too sure what to get. I use the bike for commuting, so kerb hopping and ability to run a 50 x 622 Schwalbe Marathon Dureme is essential.

Suggestions?

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi! I usually hang out in the dirt jumping/freeride areas, but I dot mind the odd pedal around, but I don't have a pedally bike, so I'm planning to get a cube reaction gtc and SS it (for riding bottle lake/mcleans island in christchurch) now I have a question... Has anyone used SRAMs two speed automatic hub? (Not technically single speed I know) I can't find a whole lot of information on it, I hate derailiurs/cables/shifters, so having two gears without a cable sounds good to me!

Also does 36-16 sound right? (I'm sure this question has been answered many times before so ignore if you wish)

Cheers, rohan

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've ridden one rohan. It's a cool system, but not something you'd want off road as the shifting is a bit random and I don't think the hub is super durable. Especially if you were driving.

The only suitable igh drive train for mtb use is either an alfine 8 (not 11, they're a heap of crap) or rohloff hub. But then you're adding a lot of weight to the back of the bike. Which kills the ride..

I've wondered about a hammerschmidt single speed.. Or just do what I used to do on my commuter with two cogs on the back and swap depending where you're riding. Or just don't be soft.

And 2:1 is a good start if you want to get up hills..

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

SS29er

Squid
Have blown through 2 spokes on the rear drive side of my GT Peace 9r this week. :(

Too much torque ;)

Looking for a 29" single speed rear wheel and not too sure what to get. I use the bike for commuting, so kerb hopping and ability to run a 50 x 622 Schwalbe Marathon Dureme is essential.

Suggestions?
I'd recommend choosing a rim and hub independently and have it built up at a good LBS. I'm a big fan of Hope SS hubs (very quick engagement) and Stan's rims (arch). Not sure if Stan's would work for ur tyres? I run this combo and have been bullet proof for 5 years and counting.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just picked up what looks like an old rigid Litespeed its a 26er with horizontal dropouts and Vbrake only,

I'm tossing up between building it up with a nice V brake SS bits, Paul hubs, Velocity rims, XTR V brakes(or 2014 XT Vbrakes) etc and keeping it rigid and super light or getting a disc brake tabs welded on and going a modern wheel, disc brakes and suspension forks.

I just want someone one to slap me over the head and tell me to drop the coin on building it light rigid and V braked, or an honest opinion will suffice.
Im just struggling to justify it a little because it seems so antiquated

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
I'd recommend choosing a rim and hub independently and have it built up at a good LBS. I'm a big fan of Hope SS hubs (very quick engagement) and Stan's rims (arch). Not sure if Stan's would work for ur tyres? I run this combo and have been bullet proof for 5 years and counting.
Thanks, went with a rebuild of the standard hub and the standard WTB Speed Disc rim. Went with 2mm DT Swiss spokes and brass nipples. Just over $100 to get rebuilt. Happy with that.

SS29er

Squid
I just picked up what looks like an old rigid Litespeed its a 26er with horizontal dropouts and Vbrake only,

I'm tossing up between building it up with a nice V brake SS bits, Paul hubs, Velocity rims, XTR V brakes(or 2014 XT Vbrakes) etc and keeping it rigid and super light or getting a disc brake tabs welded on and going a modern wheel, disc brakes and suspension forks.

I just want someone one to slap me over the head and tell me to drop the coin on building it light rigid and V braked, or an honest opinion will suffice.
Im just struggling to justify it a little because it seems so antiquated
Cool build. Stick with the v-brakes. A bit different since most run hydros these days. Enjoy it and ride the hell out of it!

WitchSnatch

Cannon Fodder
+1 on this, Either that or take your new factory wheelset straight the you LBS to have them trued/rebuilt. I bought a stock pair of chukkers a while ago that kept coming loose. Now they're going strong after a bike shop visit. But if you've got the money, build from scratch IMHO.

moorey

call me Mia
Quick Q, peeps. I run a regular hub with home made spacers. Running a 13/32 gearing, which is a bit high on long, hilly trail rides, but I use the 13 because it's wider, having the built in spacer from a 9sp cassette.
Id like to bang a 14t on, but all mine are narrow (no built in spacer), and will destroy the hope alu free hub body.
I don't want to change to a steel free hub, and I don't want to build up an SS hub.

Can an anyone point me to a wider based 14t, or even a 15t

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Quick Q, peeps. I run a regular hub with home made spacers. Running a 13/32 gearing, which is a bit high on long, hilly trail rides, but I use the 13 because it's wider, having the built in spacer from a 9sp cassette.
Id like to bang a 14t on, but all mine are narrow (no built in spacer), and will destroy the hope alu free hub body.
I don't want to change to a steel free hub, and I don't want to build up an SS hub.

Can an anyone point me to a wider based 14t, or even a 15t
I always found surly ones to be the best value as they last but still around $30... Looks like they make a 15T ...

http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/contents/en-uk/p5718_surly-single-speed-sprocket-15T.html