The Single Speed Thread

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Update:

Still enjoying the SS, although I'm not getting faster anymore :( SWorks FastTraks are prone to punctures, otherwise all good

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Niner EBB? Piece of plastic?

I really don't know. It sure feels like it, very strong plastic. Then again, I don't know a lot about plastics / metals / carbons etc.

It is a lot of money - but it works well. I'm becoming a huge fan of things that work!

Eg. Shimano brakes
My old old Lexus
Steel frames
Kingcrome tools

Things that don't work... Well, that's another thread. :)

mr626

Likes Bikes
Woohoo, On-One Inbred frame arrived today. Looking fantastic in Fire Engine red. Also got the On-One cromo fork.

Suspension? 2.4 Rubber Queens should see to that

Will take it down to my LBS tomorrow to have the headset installed (I'm not quite confident enough to do that myself yet) and then its on to the build :)

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
Woohoo, On-One Inbred frame arrived today. Looking fantastic in Fire Engine red. Also got the On-One cromo fork.

Suspension? 2.4 Rubber Queens should see to that

Will take it down to my LBS tomorrow to have the headset installed (I'm not quite confident enough to do that myself yet) and then its on to the build :)
I picked up my Inbred Frame from raceworx a few of weeks ago (I like green) and currently acquiring parts for / selling stuff to fund the build. Are you going to prep (face and chase) the frame at all, I know this is a split camp topic but I guess it can't hurt.

I am so close to beginning the build, all the parts are either here or on their way, just gotta get my Bro's wedding out of the way this weekend and then woohoo! It has been agonising having such a sweet frame in the shed and not been able even to tinker with it!

Post pics of yours when you are done!

mr626

Likes Bikes
I picked up my Inbred Frame from raceworx a few of weeks ago (I like green) and currently acquiring parts for / selling stuff to fund the build. Are you going to prep (face and chase) the frame at all, I know this is a split camp topic but I guess it can't hurt.

I am so close to beginning the build, all the parts are either here or on their way, just gotta get my Bro's wedding out of the way this weekend and then woohoo! It has been agonising having such a sweet frame in the shed and not been able even to tinker with it!

Post pics of yours when you are done!
Nice, I think the green would have been my second choice (have already owned two green bikes so time for a change).

I'm going to look very ignorant here, but I have no idea what you are taking about when you say 'face and chase'. I guess that means the answer is no? lol
The only prep I'll do for the frame is check for any defects before I start bolting things to it.

Will post a dedicated thread soon. Currently chatting to my LBS about wheelset options. Funny how things work out- originally the plan was to get just the frame, and use all the parts on my existing Sanderson. Now, only about 20% of the parts are coming across- everything else will be new for this build.

Igofastdh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
image.jpg
Been years since i've been on the forum, whats with the rotorburn url? Anyway, I went for a ride on my Surly 1x1 for the first time in months and had the cranks seize up on me, and now no matter how tight i do up the crank arm bolt it still has slop, could my bottom bracket be flogged out? Do i just need the proper tool? Should there be a spacer between the crank arm and the BB? Theres grind marks on the bb where the crank arm seized up against it. And whats this little washer sticking up? Any help appreciated, I just wanna ride!

velolove

Likes Dirt
whats this little washer sticking up? Any help appreciated, I just wanna ride!
That is your bottom bracket spacer. Since this is broken you will not have the correct width needed to tighten your cranks properly. Time to head to the LBS for a new spacer & BB tool if you do not have one.

Igofastdh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is your bottom bracket spacer. Since this is broken you will not have the correct width needed to tighten your cranks properly. Time to head to the LBS for a new spacer & BB tool if you do not have one.
Thanks heaps mate, coming from a background of BMX I dont know much about the setup i've got. Is there a alloy replacement for the crank bolt that I've got? I reckon the plastic might be flogged out on this one hence why it has come loose.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The 'crank bolt' you are referring too (plastic one) is just a preload adjuster, it is not done up tight. You loosen the two bolts through the crank arm (visible in your photo) and snug up that plastic nut to remove side to side play then tighten the crank bolts - check the torque rating, but they don't need to be crazy tight.

Igofastdh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just removed LHS crank arm and found half the splines to be stripped in the arm itself, replace just this arm or the crankset too?

image (2).jpg

Also found excessive play in what I think to be the bottom bracket bearings, not sure what BB it is though?

image (1).jpg

Thanks, Adam.

Last edited:

velolove

Likes Dirt
replace just this arm or the crankset too?.
That's normal it is just the machined section there to help remove/install the crank arm. If you wipe the grease off you should be able to see it is nice and neat the whole way around.

Your BB may need replacing if you have been riding with the broken spacer for a while. There should be no up and down movement in the bearings but obviously it can slide side to side with no left hand crank arm attached.

Last edited:

Igofastdh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's normal it is just the machined section there to help remove/install the crank arm. If you wipe the grease off you should be able to see it is nice and neat the whole way around.

Your BB may need replacing if you have been riding with the broken spacer for a while. There should be no up and down movement in the bearings but obviously it can slide side to side with no left hand crank arm attached.
Thanks heaps for your help velolove, one last question is what does the IK denote on the BB? Its an SM-BB51.

RDH

Likes Dirt
Dropped chain on SS

Howdy. Earlier this morning, I managed to drop the chain on my Highball SS. I have no idea how it happened nor even where to begin looking for reasons so thought I would ask youse guys for advice.

• It was on an innocuous piece of trail: flat, steady, lacking in rocks and roots
  • Was pedalling at the time, under a fair bit of load
  • There was no external contact or sudden and violent change in pace or direction (i.e. not a crash)
  • The dropouts appear not to have moved - When I put the chain back on and the wheel in, there was as much tension in the chain as I remember and the tension bolts seem fine. Also, the dropouts and wheel still appear straight
  • The general amount of tension = 15mm-20mm of total vertical movement in the chain if I push it up and down in the middle (if that makes sense). My chain is fairly taut, hopefully not too taut.
  • My chain ring is 36t Shimano Zee, sprocket is 19t surly
  • Chain itself is SRAM PC1 SS chain (I think)

So if any of you have dropped the chain on your SS or if any of the above looks to be the likely culprit, let me know.

Thanks
RDH

RDH

Likes Dirt
Is your chainline straight from the chainring back to the cog ?

Chainring bolts loose ?

Yes to the first, no to both of second - chainline is as straight as it can be (at least to my eye) and the bolts are very tight. Not sure they are to the required torque as I don't have a torque wrench but there is no movement or play and they seem pretty solid.

Last edited: