The Single Speed Thread

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Slightly... more aero!

Just how ma pelvis rolls I suppose
Or maybe it's the only way to get that rock saddle out of your gooch ....

How do you find the thunder burt on the front ? I even baulk at it for the rear in Brissie with all the loose over hard trails.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Or maybe it's the only way to get that rock saddle out of your gooch ....

How do you find the thunder burt on the front ? I even baulk at it for the rear in Brissie with all the loose over hard trails.
The padding on a speed needle is amazing! No saddle sores after the Melrose 18hr in Sept....
Had this discussion with Joe @ The Spin Doctor Bardon (shameless plug) yesterday.... (FWIW he built up the pictured wheels...)

The tread blocks on a Burt wouldn't be tall enough for Brisvegas but for hardpack with dust and/or pine forest trail here in Adelaide, it's amazing

disappearin

Likes Dirt
picked up my new ride today!

Trek superfly SS. Weighs in at 9.2kg with pedals in stock form (19.5in frame). Can see a few spots to drop some easy weight if I decide to.
The sliding 142x12mm dropout system works well.

Attachments

uglybob

Likes Bikes
you guys have got some crazy-light bikes! not sure i could go rigid - i've gone up to 120mm forks for a bit more fun on my s/s. one gear is punishment enough :mmph:

disappearin

Likes Dirt
It's an alloy frame. Its a new model for 2015 from trek to replace the trek rig of the past. It's got treks 51mm offset carbon rigid fork on it which looks a lot like a niner fork.
I brought it to replace my alloy stumpjumper SS that I previously rode. The stock build kit is alittle average for the $$ with deore brakes, raceface ride crank and alloy bontrager bar/stem/seatpost. I think I'll be swapping some of those bits out for some light weight bling real soon

Ackland

chats d'élevage
It's an alloy frame. Its a new model for 2015 from trek to replace the trek rig of the past. It's got treks 51mm offset carbon rigid fork on it which looks a lot like a niner fork.
I brought it to replace my alloy stumpjumper SS that I previously rode. The stock build kit is alittle average for the $$ with deore brakes, raceface ride crank and alloy bontrager bar/stem/seatpost. I think I'll be swapping some of those bits out for some light weight bling real soon
Purple Hopes on Lightbike rims?

disappearin

Likes Dirt
Purple Hopes on Lightbike rims?
I thought about! It would look so nice. I actually have a set of black hope hubs on crests I was planning on putting on it. They lack the bling factor but are reliable, light enough and wont cost me $$... still a hard decision ;-)

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I thought about! It would look so nice. I actually have a set of black hope hubs on crests I was planning on putting on it. They lack the bling factor but are reliable, light enough and wont cost me $$... still a hard decision ;-)
They'll do (and weigh about the same). All black hub/rim (destickered) would look good on that frame.
A nice compliant carbon post would probably be the better place to spend your $

RDH

Likes Dirt

disappearin

Likes Dirt

Attachments

cpgill

Squid
Dinglespeed

Anyone running with a dinglespeed?

I have a 32/16 setup for dirt and want to put on another ring and cog for around town/riding to trails. I was thinking 35/13 to maintain same chain length.

Any ideas?

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Anyone running with a dinglespeed?

I have a 32/16 setup for dirt and want to put on another ring and cog for around town/riding to trails. I was thinking 35/13 to maintain same chain length.

Any ideas?
Park Tool have a 'Tech Tuesday' segment on facebook. Since I'm at work currently, I can't lookup the facebook link...

but look it up. They did a little video explaining the 'dinglespeed'.

You won't maintain the SAME chainlength, but very similar. The closer the teeth are, the better. You'd be better going for 34/14.

danncam

Likes Dirt
thoughts on gearing for a friend

Some of you participated in my thread asking about R.SSing the stonefly loop at buller.

I rode with Q on the weekend, me on my 120 travel dually, he on his super light niner rigid single speed. Any experiences about what ratio to run for the afore mentioned stonefly loop. He is a little worried about getting stuck behind people on the ups if he is maintaining the momentum needed. I can't remember what he is running at the mo.

I'll also throw in a pic of his bike (I think its the original frame before a small stick broke the rear stay and the frame was replaced, but the replacement was identical)
q's.jpg

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Dunno mate, only done Stonefly on a geared bike but it is a long climb for the first half and a long descent for the 2nd half.
I would run 32:20 I reckon but everyone is different. Surely you mate will have a feel for whether his current ratio will be too hard for a long climb.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
What's the average climb gradient vs descent?
How fit is he?
How much climbing does he usually do?
If he's worried about being held up on climbs he should just ride solo....

danncam

Likes Dirt
...ratio will be too hard for a long climb.
Q's not worried about it being too hard; its more that if he has a higher gear running and needs to keep a comfortable cadence will he be hamstrung by needing to slow down for lard arses on duallys (like me). He pretty much scoots up hills wrenching away at his (I think) 780mm bars