The Single Speed Thread

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I seem to recall that the inbred brake frame location was designed to not put forward or adware force on the hub so in theory brake movement shouldn't be an issue for that frame.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
location of the brake won't stop the rest of the bike from wanting to move forward while the wheel wants to slow down.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
A google image search has turned up quite a number of horizontal dropout inbreds running chain tugs with QR skewers.....

tried a bolt through skewer?

Just ditch those rubbish horizontal drops and get an EBB!

Bring on the flames! :target:

jp80

Likes Bikes
And any of the other trails up there?
Rode some buller at 34:19 29"last week. There are some sustained climbs, but I don't think any of the trails themselves require a gear lower than whatever you'd normally use. That gear is about what I always ride (in canberra) and fits wherever. The epic is (apparently) long when done all at once, so if you're not used to working for 5 hours or so, maybe go easy on yourself and chuck something slightly smaller than usual on. We just went out to Stonefly, did the full loop (the return descent isnt part of the epic) and came back on singletrack. The return is definitely steep and hard, especially medusa, but all the bits we did are ok. Walking is ok too.

cpgill

Squid
Rode some buller at 34:19 29"last week. There are some sustained climbs, but I don't think any of the trails themselves require a gear lower than whatever you'd normally use. That gear is about what I always ride (in canberra) and fits wherever. The epic is (apparently) long when done all at once, so if you're not used to working for 5 hours or so, maybe go easy on yourself and chuck something slightly smaller than usual on. We just went out to Stonefly, did the full loop (the return descent isnt part of the epic) and came back on singletrack. The return is definitely steep and hard, especially medusa, but all the bits we did are ok. Walking is ok too.
Thanks jp80, A bit of walking will be fine.

Benny Storer

Likes Bikes
12772050_10153777721796311_4720281338082632636_o.jpg

12698236_10153752724266311_6188707914482660380_o.jpg

Scored myself a 'Holy Grail' bike, one I've been lusting after for YEARS! Rowdy little Cotic Simple. Rides like a big BMX. Fun as!

vergard

Squid
Derby gearing

Contemplating doing the marathon nationals in Derby next month and wondered if anyone who has ridden there had some gearing suggestions for the place.
I did Wombat 50k last weekend and felt under geared for 90% of it, I had 32x19 on a 29er, appreciate any advice.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Wombat is flaaaaat..... I'd be running 34:17 there for 50k if not taller...

Try find the derby course profile from someone who rode last year.

32:18 should get you to 18-20kmh average speed

jp80

Likes Bikes
Contemplating doing the marathon nationals in Derby next month and wondered if anyone who has ridden there had some gearing suggestions for the place.
I did Wombat 50k last weekend and felt under geared for 90% of it, I had 32x19 on a 29er, appreciate any advice.
I'd stick to the 32:19. The climbing there (other than black dragon) is smooth, and even if it's steep at times, there aren't heaps of techy climbing obstacles to require pouring on of grunt. If it's going to be over 100k of single track, that might entice an extra tooth up back?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I met two lovely gents out along the Yarra. They where both riding custom Throsby Deadfish bikes. Scooter and Brad (?).
I like those two- and the bikes