The Single Speed Thread

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
i want one of them beani's so bad right now.........

anyway, finally took the plunge on some gear, bought myself an on-one inbred (pre-disk brake mount, made from DM6 cromo :)), post, seat, truvatice cranks (dunno what type), mavic rims laced to some hubs that just got fully rebuilt (win). All up it cost me $250. Everything is in absolutely frickin amazing condition.

Needless to say I just cannot wait to build this puppy, will get pic's as soon as its finished, in all its glory

Build up or buy a SS.

G'day all

Need some advice to either build up or buy a SS 29er MTB.

Have been looking at using SS 29er stumpjumper frame (new).

Not sure what way to go?????

Please help,

Silver

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
ss build

question of budget really.....you will always get a great deal on last years , of the shelf new bike (read cheap).....BUT....if you really know what you want in the way of things like, frame (carbon , steel ,aluminium, titanium, bamboo) bar width and rise (if any), wheels (stans no tubes for me), stem length (80mm for me), seat (wtb silverado for me!) , seat post offset, brakes (vee brakes, canti, mechanical disk, hydraulic disk, what size`rotor?), tyres (1.9, 1.95, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.25, 2.3, 2.35, 2.4), fork (rigid, steel, carbon, 80mm travel ,100 mm travel, lefty, rigid lefty?) headset , bb, grips,15mm front axle, 20mm front axle, quick release, cranks (arm length 165mm ,170mm 175mm,180mm) pedals.....and we haven't even touched on gearing....ohh gearing!!!, some of us find it fun to build, some just like to ride. which one are you? (me ? im both!!!):cool:

SS bike

question of budget really.....you will always get a great deal on last years , of the shelf new bike (read cheap).....BUT....if you really know what you want in the way of things like, frame (carbon , steel ,aluminium, titanium, bamboo) bar width and rise (if any), wheels (stans no tubes for me), stem length (80mm for me), seat (wtb silverado for me!) , seat post offset, brakes (vee brakes, canti, mechanical disk, hydraulic disk, what size`rotor?), tyres (1.9, 1.95, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.25, 2.3, 2.35, 2.4), fork (rigid, steel, carbon, 80mm travel ,100 mm travel, lefty, rigid lefty?) headset , bb, grips,15mm front axle, 20mm front axle, quick release, cranks (arm length 165mm ,170mm 175mm,180mm) pedals.....and we haven't even touched on gearing....ohh gearing!!!, some of us find it fun to build, some just like to ride. which one are you? (me ? im both!!!):cool:
Thanks fatarseracing for the reply,

This has made me think more about the bike I want.

I'm a 3 ride, MTB only, a week bloke (total 80 -90km)on fire trail and single track. To answer your question; just like riding, don't know a whole lot about building.

The bike I'm after will be ridden on same trails as above, which are iron stone, granite rocks with some tight flowing track in grey box/ stringy bark forest.

Looking in a bike for;
Frame 29er- aluminium (love carbon)
Rims/wheels - tube less
Brakes - hydraulic disk
Fork - 80 / 100mm travel
Around $2500 to spend, maybe dreaming, not sure.

Cheers
Silver

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes

I'm a 3 ride, MTB only, a week bloke (total 80 -90km)on fire trail and single track. To answer your question; just like riding, don't know a whole lot about building.

The bike I'm after will be ridden on same trails as above, which are iron stone, granite rocks with some tight flowing track in grey box/ stringy bark forest.

Looking in a bike for;
Rims/wheels - tube less
Brakes - hydraulic disk
Fork - 80 / 100mm travel

Cheers
Silver
there's only one way to learn to build...i think you know the answer!...or with that budget i would look @ something like this sexy sexy beast

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52837&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

Lorday

Eats Squid

Looking in a bike for;
Rims/wheels - tube less
Brakes - hydraulic disk
Fork - 80 / 100mm travel

Cheers
Silver
On-One Scandal 29er w/ Reba 100mm Forks (you can get this in a bundle for ~$950 maybe less), Stans rims on whatever hubs (hope pro 2's has an SS option) ~$600, elixer r's ~$350, slx/xt cranks ~$180, SS rings/short chainring bolts/SS rear cog ~$90.
That still gives you ~$400 to spend on seat/bar/grips, seat/seatpole, tyres and pedals BUT its a very solid base, which will still probably give you a bike around the 10kg mark.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up another older single speed specific frame recently with horizontal dropouts which will need a set of wheels built up and I’m after a few suggestions/opinions on what hubs to use.

I have a Chris King SS hub on another build which works nicely but am toying with the idea of running a White Industries standard ENO on this frame. Are there any other hubs I should be looking at? I thought about a DT Swiss 240 single speed hub but they are disc only and the frame is V brake only and the so the unused splines look a little funny in my opinion.

Anyway throw some opinions at me.

Speaking of hubs,
Do any of you guys who run ss with a QR hub in horizontal slot dropouts have trouble with it slipping?
I have a surly tug nut on there but now it bends skewers:confused: