The Single Speed Thread

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Ss

I rolled up there with the stock 33/17 only 2 days after getting the bike. More to show it off than anything else. Had an 18t in the tool box but after the short 1k loop near the bottom I gave up and grabbed the Gary Fisher. I`d probably get a bit further now but would want a 19 or more out back to do it, and even then it would be a once only lap if I did manage to get to the top.
The elevation plot shows 305 meters of climbing over the 10km enduro course with several sections climbing at 10% gradient for between 250 to 500 meters at a time.
Coming down there is a 2.4km run at -6% before a final 500 metre 10% climb.
Rinse and repeat.
Hoping someone with a bit more ability than me could have a go at the next club day and give some feedback. Are you up for the challenge? We`ll have a medic there for you just in case.
Cheers
MH
33/ 17 at Mt Major is nuts unless you have years of SS experience, weigh 70kgs and cage fight on weekends. I rode it SS once with a 32/20 and wouldnt do it again - although the downhill was fun. Even the XC trails there are quite hilly and change pitch often - quite hard to get up a fast flow - needed for SSing. If it is your only bike then might l suggest setting it up 2 x 2 with a 32/34 up front and 20/18 out back. Then you have a good gear to spin out there and for the flatter trails and a gear for the MT M. it is accually a rather challenging place to ride a SS - hats off too ya.
JD

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Getting slightly motivated to have another crack at the Odyssey 100 ss time....................hmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The more, the merrier, I say. Maybe if we get enough participants this time we can get a proper single speed category, rather that last year's lip service category.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
And with an 8.1kg bike, it won't be too heavy to carry when it's caked in mud.:bounce:
Had that problem in the 2008 race. My Anthem rear wheel was so full of mud, leaves and crap, it wouldn't rotate while pushing the thing up some of the hills. If i need to push the SS up those same hills, it wont be such a chore!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Well the Aussie SS Champs have been run & won with a Kiwi taking the honours again & everyone else raced very well. rAdelaide put on a show, great weather, great beer, great friends.

Where is next year? So far there are bids from Melrose, Beechworth, Buggerydore and East North Bondi. Want a say? get your A.R.S.E. on fb for the upcoming vote.

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Well the Aussie SS Champs have been run & won with a Kiwi taking the honours again & everyone else raced very well. rAdelaide put on a show, great weather, great beer, great friends.

Where is next year? So far there are bids from Melrose, Beechworth, Buggerydore and East North Bondi. Want a say? get your A.R.S.E. on fb for the upcoming vote.
Any photos or write ups floating around?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
A few photos are on the FB, pages. Enduro Mag was held from the presses to let the story get written, should be some more reports once people recover....

Possible sponsor of SS nats...

Hey guys,

Firstly, please excuse my grammar and punctuation, Spanish keyboards are wack.

Im sure you all know the clothing and accessories brand Knog,
There is a possibilty of them sponsoring the ss nats for next year in some way.
I dont want to stand on anyones toes, not having been to any ARSE events in the past,
is this something people would want {question mark}

If it is, we can send the details to them and theyll let us know.
Ive been to rides organised by them in melbourne and they put on a pretty good night,
with beer prizes, as well as their products, i reckon it sounds fitting.

PS. does anyone know where the at symbol is on a Spanish keyboard {question mark}

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
It begins

Well it begins.

Time to build my single speed. This turned up today.

Merlin.jpg

Also have a Cane Creek headset and titanium stem. Nothing else.