The Single Speed Thread

...no, but bridge road breweries do... If it's in Beechworth there's a good chance they'll get on board.
On this advice I took it upon myself to delve into the frosty sports drinks available from Bridge Road Breweries. I availed myself of a number of their brews and retreated into my sonically sealed tasting room to become one with their offerings. I can report to you dear singlespeeders that their frosty sports drinks are of a suitable quality and effect, particularly the pale ale which not only tasted of beer but made me feel as though I was a better person than I was previously.

Happily, the 2012 Beechworth SSNats have been officially announced:

383764_10150369857516787_608676786_8563295_616966370_n.jpg

May the gears be one and the beers be many.

viv

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, Just a quick question (newb bmx rider so dont know anything about mtb parts) I picked up an old raleigh mtb and needing to change the cranks on it. Someone has a set of deore cranks for 40 bucks on another forum but without a bottom bracket so I was wondering what bottom bracket to get with regard to the threads in the actual frame... Cranks are square taper by the way if that makes any difference.

Posting in this thread as I intend to make the bike single speed. I already have a chain tensioner and ss spacer kit etc and the plan is to just run these cranks like a single ring crank if that make sense...

link to pic of cranks here:
http://perthmtb.asn.au/node/32899

cheers for any help

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you'll find that a JIS Square taper bottom bracket like this with a width of 113mm should suit it fine. They make them to suit both 68mm & 73mm BB shells, so just buy the appropriate one.

Help required

I'd persist with the 170/30 crank chainring combo if I were you. I'll assume it's on a 26er? Unless you can run a double/double, you'll always be spinning out too much on the road. I ride in a very slow techy area, so I use 33/19 with 170mm cranks on a 29er. No chance of spinning out at all. It's a little tough at times, but I'm always trying to improve, so I push fairly hard.

BTW, what cranks are you using? 30 is an unusual size chainring.
Need some help,

Building up a 29 er SS using a Stumpjumper frame. Ride single track/ trails around Central Vic.

Need some advice on either 36/18 or 34/18 and also the crank length (I'm thinking 175mm).

Cheers,

The Fox

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like it's your first single speed, correct? 36/18 is a little high for a 29er unless you ride fairly flat terrain. Usually, it's cheaper and simpler to switch rear sprockets rather than chainrings, provided that your rear hub has a cassette style freehub on it, as opposed to a screw-on freewheel.

As for crank length, 175 should be fine. I use 170, but I'm fairly short and I found that I adjusted (from 175) very quickly and there is definitely some benefit in being able to spin faster/easier on flat sections with the shorter cranks. YMMV.

Sounds like it's your first single speed, correct? 36/18 is a little high for a 29er unless you ride fairly flat terrain. Usually, it's cheaper and simpler to switch rear sprockets rather than chainrings, provided that your rear hub has a cassette style freehub on it, as opposed to a screw-on freewheel.

As for crank length, 175 should be fine. I use 170, but I'm fairly short and I found that I adjusted (from 175) very quickly and there is definitely some benefit in being able to spin faster/easier on flat sections with the shorter cranks. YMMV.
Yes, first single speed. Thanks for the advice. The plan is to ride the bike in local area and switch rear spockets up or down as required.

Brought the frame through local bike shop from the US in July. Been slowly building up bike since then, rockshock REBA forks, American classic single speed tubeless rims etc.
Should be up and running within a month, I'ii post a photo on SS site.

Cheers

The Fox

cjmmtb

Squid
Ti Ch9er

Finally built and I've been for a couple rides and love it. Running 33/20 at present. Comes in at 9.2kg with bottle cages, pump and Racing Ralphs on which aren't in the photo's.

dec11 736.jpgdec11 737.jpg

Last edited:
For Singlespeeders in the Nation's Capital - the Canberra One Gear Society is hosting a ferocious Month Of Singlespeed in January. There'll be events and rides every weekend and in between. More info here: canberraonegear.org. Get into the COGSMOS.

COGS%u0025252520flyer.jpg

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally built and I've been for a couple rides and love it. Running 33/20 at present. Comes in at 9.2kg with bottle cages, pump and Racing Ralphs on which aren't in the photo's.
Nice build cjmmtb. I've got some HBC bling on order for my SS. Looks sweet. Is that a Ti cog at the back?

cjmmtb

Squid
Nice build cjmmtb. I've got some HBC bling on order for my SS. Looks sweet. Is that a Ti cog at the back?
Thanks Stevob. Its a stainless steel one. They are half the price of the Ti ones so thought I'd see how it went and maybe look at those when it wears out. This is my first 29er SS so I wasn't sure which gearing I was going to prefer. 33/20 is good at the moment as I have been off the bike for 2 months but may try 33/19 when I get some fitness back.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Virgin ride yesterday

Finally finished this up. Rushed the final build with some less than optimal parts. Cranks and seatpost.
Img_1156-tn.jpg

Still need to chuck on some old school Raceface Carbon next cranks.

Ride was pretty uncomfortable so have a monkey lite bar on the way and have added a longer seatpost. Again will replace with carbon.

Also need to internally route the brake cable.

It is primarily a road rider, Will build another for MTBing.

However, Got me to work and back.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gearing?

Finally finished this up. Rushed the final build with some less than optimal parts. Cranks and seatpost.
View attachment 219838

Still need to chuck on some old school Raceface Carbon next cranks.

Ride was pretty uncomfortable so have a monkey lite bar on the way and have added a longer seatpost. Again will replace with carbon.

It is primarily a road rider, Will build another for MTBing.

However, Got me to work and back.
what ratio are you using on that?
53/11?

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
A virgin merlin

finally finished this up. Rushed the final build with some less than optimal parts. Cranks and seatpost.
View attachment 219838

still need to chuck on some old school raceface carbon next cranks.

It is primarily a road rider, will build another for mtbing.

However, got me to work and back.
looks good ..may want some more agressive tyres for mountain biking though!

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
big 29er burgers!

it's like a Hungry Jacks advert....the burger's so big , it doesn't fit on the screen!....
whats the specs? other than the frame and the tyres!

Timbers

Likes Dirt
it's like a Hungry Jacks advert....the burger's so big , it doesn't fit on the screen!....
whats the specs? other than the frame and the tyres!
Specs:
Frame: M4 SL alloy EBB
Fork: Rockshox SID RTC3, QR15, Tapered steerer.
Cranks: E1/ The Hive SS-XC 180mm, 36T
Cassette: Surly steel single 17t-19t
Chain: KMC 8 spd (to be replaced with SS KMC)
Bottombracket: E13/ The Hive OS 30mm Polygon
Hubs: F- Hope Pro 2 Evo 15mm. R- Hope Pro 2 Evo SS/Trials
Rims: Stans Crest 32h
Spokes: DT Revo
Tires: Panaracer CG 2.25
Brakes: Avid Elixir 7 2012 160/160
Pedals: CB Eagbeaters
Stem: Specialized pro alloy 7050 -16 deg
Handlebar: Truvativ Stylo T30 700mm x 15mm rise
Seatpost: Truvativ Noir T30
Saddle: Fizik Aliante Gamma XM (to be replaced with Specialized)
Grips: Specialized Grappler XL

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Filed flats on the rear axle to use as a tensioner and plumbed the brake cable via the steerer. Ultra minimalistic.

Gearing is 5.65 ( (34/12) x .635 x 3.14). Approx 38km/h at 120rpm. Held that for 5km.
Will prob chuck a 13 on the back as the 12 is a little small.

I am happy with the build.

Build as it sits
• Merlin Titanium Frame (M).
• Specialized Titanium Step - 120mm (Might go shorter).
• Carbon/Titanium Seat.
• Carbon Exotic Forks.
• Carbon Monkeylite Bars.
• Raceface Next seatpost (400mm).
• RaceFace Next Carbon Cranks.
• Mavic XC 317 with Hope Pro front and Shimano XT rear.
• Hope 180mm Front disc.
• Brooks leather grips.
• Specialized Fatboy tyres.
• 1/2 link chain.

View attachment 221840

View attachment 221837

View attachment 221838

View attachment 221839