The Single Speed Thread

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, Currently looking for a HBC chainring to fit X0 cranks.
Trying to avoid the 8 week waiting time for HBC to produce a ring for me so just wondering if any of you guys have a spiderless ring or an 80bcd ring lying around from previous builds ect. Something around 32t would be ideal, but am completely flexible and am willing to try and teeth arrangement.

BTW have posted in WTB section with no luck....
Please PM me with any options

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Just in case any of you SSers are using a regular frame with a tensioner system and want something better/cleaner, I am selling my Exzentriker EBB

HERE ->Rotorburn For SALE section

I've put over 2000Km through this baby and it rarely moves! The only times it did were due to user error!

Takes standard enduro bearings which just slide in, tool free replacement

Ackland

chats d'élevage
And while I'm here... the new SS.... also why I'm selling the Exzentriker

Cracked my other frame (ChiTi) and while waiting for warranty, I picked this frame up......
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper 29 SS specific with split shell EBB.... Non Aus version
Mate had the frame sitting around, he had procured it from the Spesh rep as a warranty replacement for another frame and only rode it for a month waiting for his Niner Air9 Carbon

Whole build as pictured is 8KG flat with "daily ride" componentry! eg pedals, proper tyres, proper useable wheels.
With race wheels/tyres I could drop another 700gm+ but.... I don't want to throw too much cash at it.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
First time out

Took the single speed out for the first proper ride in the weekend.

Trying to convert a bunch of mates from road riding and grabbed the WW expecting a slow ride. Tweaked Tyres and gears.

Kalamunda circuit in WA. Forest run with sections of rocks and roots and some decent mild uphills.

Was really surprised, PR a bunch of climbs by a decent margin, Also blitzed a few competitive mates times.

What was even more surprising was the downhill runs I was only lagging by a few seconds. Even PR'd one

I did notice is upper body and core workout, Long technical climbs and constant lifting the front wheel took its toll.

Its some rather old kit but rides well, Front steering is not right, Out of the saddle it just feels wrong but liveable. However great for technical stuff. Did some non stop technical climbs where normally I peg it.

Hands are sore, Started doing all the jumps but then started brusing my palms then started taking B lines.

Anyway, Need to replace front grips (Brooks leather hard as bricks and large dia) and fix the rear brake (Adapter on the old frame)

Will be out again.

PS, Ignore pedals, Swapped so the missus could ride the bike.

SS-Mer-Feral.jpg

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
$200 cash 1st prize up for grabs - gears need not apply

Just got word that the GV club are running a Single Speed class at their upcoming Major Pain 3hr Enduro at Mt Major (near Shepparton, Vic) on 6th October.
1st, 2nd and 3rd in SS category will get cash prize ($200 for 1st). Not bad for a $30 entry fee.
My legs are hurting already.
I`ll post up a link when available.
Now where did I put that 20t cog?
Cheers
MH

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got word that the GV club are running a Single Speed class at their upcoming Major Pain 3hr Enduro at Mt Major (near Shepparton, Vic) on 6th October.
1st, 2nd and 3rd in SS category will get cash prize ($200 for 1st). Not bad for a $30 entry fee.
My legs are hurting already.
I`ll post up a link when available.
Now where did I put that 20t cog?
Cheers
MH
Major Pain was a 6hr last year wasn't it? Either way, I think I might give that a crack.

Just checked...not part of VES this year.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Major Pain was a 6hr last year wasn't it? Either way, I think I might give that a crack.

Just checked...not part of VES this year.
Not part of the VES so they can do there own thing and make it something different. 3 hours riding on a Saturday arvo rather than 6. Gives people plenty of time to get there and back in a day without having to get up at 5 a.m.
Course will be a bit shorter than the 6hr loop but expect a fair bit of climbing (probably around 250+mts per lap, but its only for 3 hrs).
There will be open male and female categories as well as a pairs category where you ride together (cash for solos and goodies for pairs).
A few of the club riders are into the SS thing (Bundy, you out there?) so they are having a SS category with cash prizes as well.
I`m not sure there are many enduro races with that on offer for the SSers. (please correct me if I`m wrong)
I haven`t seen many SSers on the hill so it will be interesting to see who`s up for a go.
I thought the SS category was certainly worthy of mention in this thread.

Cheers.
MH

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
Not part of the VES so they can do there own thing and make it something different. 3 hours riding on a Saturday arvo rather than 6. Gives people plenty of time to get there and back in a day without having to get up at 5 a.m.
Course will be a bit shorter than the 6hr loop but expect a fair bit of climbing (probably around 250+mts per lap, but its only for 3 hrs).
There will be open male and female categories as well as a pairs category where you ride together (cash for solos and goodies for pairs).
A few of the club riders are into the SS thing (Bundy, you out there?) so they are having a SS category with cash prizes as well.
I`m not sure there are many enduro races with that on offer for the SSers. (please correct me if I`m wrong)
I haven`t seen many SSers on the hill so it will be interesting to see who`s up for a go.
I thought the SS category was certainly worthy of mention in this thread.

Cheers.
MH
If l am not draged into marshel l WILL be racing the ss. No harder than racing the Albury 6hr solo on a ss ridged.

Lamb

Cannon Fodder
Guys I'm farly new to single speeds and after converting my 29er to one I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Buy I have a problem with throwing the chain off the rear sprocket. One of the guys I ride with suggested turning it round to remove the glideways out of the equation but I fear that I will loose to much grab on to the freewheel having to file It to make fit. I am currently running a dmr tensioner having vertical dropouts and was wondering if changing the guide roller to a pulley from a derailur would help solve this problem.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First step to eliminating the chain drops is to change the cassette sprocket to a single speed specific sprocket like a Surly. There's no shifting glideways, and the teeth are taller. Both help to keep the chain on. Your tensioner should be fine, providing it gives the chain enough wrap on the sprocket.

Also post a pic. It will help us to diagnose.

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
Guys I'm farly new to single speeds and after converting my 29er to one I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Buy I have a problem with throwing the chain off the rear sprocket. One of the guys I ride with suggested turning it round to remove the glideways out of the equation but I fear that I will loose to much grab on to the freewheel having to file It to make fit. I am currently running a dmr tensioner having vertical dropouts and was wondering if changing the guide roller to a pulley from a derailur would help solve this problem.
get yourself a surly chain tensioner that comes with 2 springs, and use the spring that allows you to run the chain over the TOP of the roller/guide wheel (you want as much chain as possible wrapped around the cog/sprocket)...and make sure your chain line is spot on straight!!!.