The Single Speed Thread

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It ain't fast all the time, but if it grips when others slip, then it is faster than spinning in one spot.

fin7

Squid
Surly KM

Where can I buy Surly frames in Australia? Can anyone recommend a bike shop or online store, specifically the Karate Monkey.

Try clickbikes.com.au they were clearing out some 2013 surlys at good prices. Sizes were limited, so you might be lucky.
Just got myself a Krampus and am loving it. Currently 1x10 but will try it as SS at some stage.

Sent from my ST27a using Tapatalk

jp80

Likes Bikes
Kish SS

Thought I'd grab a pic in the rain this morning while the bike was kind of clean. I might make a few changes in the coming months, so good to document this incarnation! Currently running a zero carbon policy.

Frame - Jim Kish custom 29" hardtail, straight gauge Ti (2013 NC built). 44mm headtube, paragon sliders
Fork - Reba RLT @ 100mm
Headset - King inset
Bar - Salsa 11 deg alloy
Stem - Thomson 110mm X4
Grips - ESI chunky
Saddle - WTB shadow V
Seatpost - Thomson
Brakes - XT icetech
Cranks - White Industries Eno, 32T ring
Chain - SRAM 890
BB - White industries stainless (68 x 113)
Pedals - XT
Cog - Surly 17t at the moment
Wheels - Hope to Crest, sapim spokes
Tyres - Ardent race (2.2) front, Crossmark (2.1) rear. Tubeless with stans tape n valves
Weight - No idea, but maybe 10kg? maybe less.

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The organisers have no interest in running the SS category, despite what is advertised. They have never been able to get the results right anyway.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Ever dwindling.....

was very disappointed to see such a small SS field at the Marathon Nationals. I couldn't make it sadly.

Did the winning SSer get the Green and Gold?

notime

Likes Dirt
Don't know. Doubt it.
He deserved it the climbing was insane, that with the heat got the better of me.. It was up for grabs so I assume he got it, I didn't hang around for Prezo's cause it was a long drive back to Sydney and I needed to hit the road.

Highland Fling has one of the best Single Speed turnout for an XCM

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well if it was up for grabs, then he probably did. I've never heard of a SS green and gold before.

He deserved it the climbing was insane, that with the heat got the better of me.. It was up for grabs so I assume he got it, I didn't hang around for Prezo's cause it was a long drive back to Sydney and I needed to hit the road.

Highland Fling has one of the best Single Speed turnout for an XCM
Are riders moving away from SS, because they are perhaps a less flexible machine, or does that make them harder to get a result with?

Marx

Likes Dirt
Single speeds are great as a tool to work on being a better MTBer, but in a racing application its hard to justify a separate category just because of the entrant’s selection of equipment.