The Smiths Gully Thread

markhood01

Likes Bikes
I'm probably going to do a SG loop this Sat arvo if anyone wants to tag along. Leaving the store around 2pm. 2-3h depending on the pace. Slow climbs, fast descents. I haven't been on the bike in 3 weeks so not going to be smashing any pbs. Let me know if you'd like to tag along.

Hud

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know if the old trail between Bundy track and [the fireroad loop which leads to the end of Skyline rd] has been re-established? It was annihilated on Black Saturday, but looking on Strava heatmap recently there is a thin line showing a little bit of activity where the trail used to be. Not sure if Strava was around pre fires or not.

Cheers

big gags

Likes Bikes
Does anyone know if the old trail between Bundy track and [the fireroad loop which leads to the end of Skyline rd] has been re-established? It was annihilated on Black Saturday, but looking on Strava heatmap recently there is a thin line showing a little bit of activity where the trail used to be. Not sure if Strava was around pre fires or not.

Cheers
A couple of my mates did linked those sections up a month or so ago but apparently there was lots of walking involved as there was no real trail and they had to basically push their way through the bush. I rode out near there last weekend with one of these guys and he confirmed that it definitely wasn't rideable.

Cheers,

Gags

Hud

Likes Dirt
Thanks for confirming that. I originally put that trail through there although it was partially an ancient moto trail or something. Need to get out there now that the regrowth has thinned out a bit.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
There has been a lot of stuff cleared out there if we are talking about the same area and you can ride through the track off Wallace Rd or on the side of Osborne Rd, although the stuff off Wallace needs some cleaning back.

The fire roads are all pretty good.

Hud

Likes Dirt
The one off Wallace used to join onto Errols loop but the link section from the dam was burnt. The section parrallell to Wallace rd was not burnt at all which is why it still exists. I would like to join it up again if I ever have time..
The other section I was talking about is NW of the fireroad loop.
If you have a look at a topographical map there is only one saddle joining Bundy trk to the fireroad loop which is where the trail was.

bh78

Likes Dirt
Bit of a grave dig.

Went for a burn through here today; nice change from Han's. Two things stood out, the gravel is loooosssee and the horse chit is out of control!!

That aside, good day.

big gags

Likes Bikes
Got out for a SS ride at Smiths Gully today - the recent rain has improved things a lot out there and the traction available this morning was better than it has been out there for a long time!!

On the drive out a mate called me and said he had stopped just North of Panton Hill as there was an injured roo by the side of the road. I got there a couple of minutes later and looked up the WIRES number and called it in and they said they would send somebody out to help. Looks like the roo had been hit by a car and its right foot had been smashed and about half of it was just flopping around and we could see bone sticking out!!! It was actually a bit sickening but pretty amazing too as the roo worried at it with its mouth for a couple of minutes but then seemed to say to itself "oh, well, my foot's fvcked up but no point whinging about it!!" and he hopped off down the hill. It was painful to watch as the front half of the foot was dangling around all over the place on every hop but he made it a couple of hundred metres down to some vegetation at the bottom of the hill. Not sure if the WIRES guy who gets there will find him and even if he does I'm not sure he will be able to catch him as he was still pretty mobile despite the smashed foot.

Other than that it was a cracker morning for a ride and I don't think the get much better :)

Gags

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any regulars on here?
Seen there has been quite a bit of work out there over the last 12 months, but still haven't managed to get out there.
Wondering how the trails are running, is there a good selection of trails to stay off the dirt roads or is it still a little disjointed?
If you have a regular loop, how many k's is it?

Seems like it would hold up well in the wet? So thinking of hitting it up soon while everywhere else metro Melb is a quagmire.

Cheers,

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any regulars on here?
Seen there has been quite a bit of work out there over the last 12 months, but still haven't managed to get out there.
Wondering how the trails are running, is there a good selection of trails to stay off the dirt roads or is it still a little disjointed?
If you have a regular loop, how many k's is it?

Seems like it would hold up well in the wet? So thinking of hitting it up soon while everywhere else metro Melb is a quagmire.

Cheers,
I ride out there once a week, it's great. Very few jumps, just old school XC. It's not bad when it's wet-ish but not great when it's soaking, I won't ride it in those conditions just to keep the trails in reasonable condition. It'll be good later this week I reckon, we might get out there on Thursday arvo or Sunday. PM me if you want to come.