The Smiths Gully Thread

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hi Big Tim,

No maps sorry, some guys have loaded stuff online on places like STRAVA but I just.bride the stuff and know where it is hence the ride tomorrow.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
My throat has been invaded by razor blades so my attendance is looking unlikely. If I'm not there by 8.30, don't wait. Cheers.

Beej1

Gonna have to make the call in the morning. Well and truly farked my knee crawling around under the house this AM. Pain feels similar to something I've done in the past which proves extremely painful to ride on.

In case nobody checks here in the AM, if there's no dude @ shop on white SC Nomad or raw 29er hardtail then I'm not coming.

But hoping its within the margins of Nurofen magic to handle.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
No probs guys, I'll be riding regardless, normally I'd start earlier but happy to start 8.30 and after our ride I'll continue back out there so all is good.

Hope a few folks can jake it though, I'll make it fun and not kill you.

Oh, and I'll be on a Santa Cruz so shout out.

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm there Mars, and so will a good buddy of mine. Orange Epic. If it's a smallish group we can ride some of the trails less ventured. :)

emerthis

Likes Dirt
The pain cake was served in large portions today. 27km out there is a whole lot further than it seems anywhere else. Brilliant trails, great new bit between Turnung & Ridge.

John U

MTB Precision
Great ride today. Thanks heaps for organising it. Great trails and a good amount of climbing. I am just the right amount of rooted. The afternoon hasn't been too constructive. Perfect.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
What loop did you guys do? Shattered I missed it!
G'day.

Today's route went like this:
Started at the General Store, down Clintons Rd and right behind the shop, down, up, over, down, across the rock-armoured gully, up to Blue House Rd, right, and then into Boomers Reserve.
At the bottom of that we rode up Motschalls Rd to the Turnung Rd verge trails, which we rode to the end. Just before crossing the main road there was some new ST (up from where the microwave oven mailbox is), and then across E-YG Rd, on to more new ST (Wombat Head, I think it's called) along the verge to the bottom of Ridge Rd.
A couple of the lads rode the full Ridge Rd ST climb - I took the easy way up, and rejoined the ST about 2/3 of the way along - with a couple of others.
Then down the twisty ST, back across the main road and into Happy Valley, where we turned left up a diversion that springs off the bottom part of Midden, then we rode down that last bit of Midden.
Across HV, and up Marsben. I still reckon that's one of the hardest climbs I've ever done - today I had to stop 2-3 times on the way up, just to catch breath - but I was stoked to clean all the switchbacks.
We then took the fire trail down to the start of Orchid, up that, and then the verge trails back along Clintons Rd to the shop.
27km, 660m climbing, about 2.5 hours all up.

Thanks Mars & Alex for leading - and for pushing me to extend myself!

Cheers.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
First ride out there in at least a year and the trails are in top shape, thanks to those maintaining. A few new bits of track in progress by the looks as well? Did two! Full loops and close to 50k I loved it so much, some great riding and will be back soon

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 laps of SG is an impressive effort buddy. :) You're right the trails are fantastic. Thanks mars (allegedly).

I believe that the reason it doesn't get more love is (a) the drive to the store and (b) because it just too damn challenging for the average punter to enjoy.

Last edited:

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Glad you liked it guys, it's always fun riding out there and easy to just stay out there and keep playing.

The addition to Emerthis' explanation is after climbing Ridge Road the track pops out on Simpson (road to the reservoir) then drops into the ST down the side of Sugarloaf popping onto the Hwy then dropping into the northside and just after the concrete slab going left into "Link Track" which hits the Lower Midden then pops out on Happy Valley, then after climbing marsben and left onto Parker's Loop you continue left onto Left Arm which pops you out halfway up the Quad Step Waterbar climb, then right over the mound, head left then veer left Twd O'Shea's down Happy Valley and right into entry that heads to Orchid which pops out a-top Rob Roy then back via Clintons.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Glad you liked it guys, it's always fun riding out there and easy to just stay out there and keep playing.

The addition to Emerthis' explanation is after climbing Ridge Road the track pops out on Simpson (road to the reservoir) then drops into the ST down the side of Sugarloaf popping onto the Hwy then dropping into the northside and just after the concrete slab going left into "Link Track" which hits the Lower Midden then pops out on Happy Valley, then after climbing marsben and left onto Parker's Loop you continue left onto Left Arm which pops you out halfway up the Quad Step Waterbar climb, then right over the mound, head left then veer left Twd O'Shea's down Happy Valley and right into entry that heads to Orchid which pops out a-top Rob Roy then back via Clintons.
It's that kind of casual ability to name trails that I'd like to see incorporated into the Plenty Gorge trails - currently it goes along the lines of: cross the plank, up Betty Bell to the Triangle, then one of 3-4 nameless options from there. These trails need names - but first they need to be approved, as I'd hate to see a well-loved and named trail closed as part of the assessment process. Slowly, but surely...

Thanks again, Mars. Great work - the way you ride with one arm makes me think I could only possibly imagine you at full pace with your body working properly, and I'm glad I wasn't trying to keep up with you in full health!

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hi Em,

Thanks mate, yep Grade 2 tear apparantly so will be a slow process.

Re naming and naming conventions, not having been out there to PG yet I'm not aware if trails have names yet, but dare say certain tracks may already, perhaps fire access or walking connecting tracks?

After that existing trails may have names already from those that built them and more often have a theme either to the area, flora, fauna, a certain article found, or construction method or process.

Don't leave it too open though, you need to manage closely or you may receive eleventy billion options of angles and naming for a small area and you'll never lock anything down. But judging from the most professional and productive progress from yourself (and Casper) and others I reckon you guys will have no problems whatsoever and will continue to have things dialled.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mars I never got to tell you that I got 2 grade 2 tears on the same shoulder within a four month period. If this is your first you really need to work on strengthening and rehab. I was a bit worried watching you struggle with it mate. Ease up, let it heal.