The Smiths Gully Thread

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Mars I never got to tell you that I got 2 grade 2 tears on the same shoulder within a four month period. If this is your first you really need to work on strengthening and rehab. I was a bit worried watching you struggle with it mate. Ease up, let it heal.
Hey Jimmy,

Yes you were 100% correct, I did heed your advice on the physio movements and told the physio as well, she said yep your sanity check on my range was what she did too.

She tested my strength after I told her I pinged it again and how I did it, and said I have the full range of movement and the strength is all there but when it gets that damaged area the pain in that particular movement I just wince as though I'm winded. Yep she said it set me back a little so upping physio this week but backing off a little on the support exercises for couple of days.

She doesn't beleieve it is anything more sinister right now so gotta bite the bullet and do the yards.

Thanks bud.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mars buddy, it will take a bit of time for your shoulder to heal, and then a bit longer for your mind to accept that it is OK. :)

I will be riding 1.5 (maybe 2 laps) of SG Sunday morning, w' Ben (a non rotorburner buddy). We might start a little earlier to get more km in, and we will go at a steady pace without frequent stops.

All are welcome to join.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Mars buddy, it will take a bit of time for your shoulder to heal, and then a bit longer for your mind to accept that it is OK. :)

I will be riding 1.5 (maybe 2 laps) of SG Sunday morning, w' Ben (a non rotorburner buddy). We might start a little earlier to get more km in, and we will go at a steady pace without frequent stops.

All are welcome to join.
Would love to come again, especially as my Garmin didn't record our ride on Sunday, but will be in Mansfield. Will hopefully get a Buller ride in.

I'd only be holding you up anyway.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt

All are welcome to join.
Hi mate,

I will be riding out there but not sure when, I need to do some more work out there first before riding so can't commit this time.

But will be doing a big roadie on Tuesday if you are keen pm me.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would love to come again, especially as my Garmin didn't record our ride on Sunday, but will be in Mansfield. Will hopefully get a Buller ride in.

I'd only be holding you up anyway.
No worries John. :) If you're worried about holding us back you could join up on our 2nd lap. We'd struggle to keep up w' you. Enjoy Mansfield.

Hi mate,

I will be riding out there but not sure when, I need to do some more work out there first before riding so can't commit this time.

But will be doing a big roadie on Tuesday if you are keen pm me.
Will PM for sure. I haven't ridden my roadie for months, need to get my groove back. :)

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With all sweetness and sincerity of wanting to be there, fuck you.
Yeah, I'd feel the same way.

Such a beautiful evening to be riding. The challenging ride from Warrandyte to Sugarloaf is the price to pay for getting to ride the Sugarloaf ST:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Almost 2 laps completed today. I was pre-cramp during the ride back to the store, any effort to go fast would've ended in pain. :) love Smiths.

The pies at the general store should be on people's bucket list.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Seeing we missed the official ride last week Matt and I cranked out 52km today with 1500m altitude
Been a while since I've been out there

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
DAMAGE IN BOOMERS and other cuts off Midden

I have been informed by Brendan Welsh from the Smiths Gully MTB Assoc that he was contacted by Parks Victoria wrt damage in Boomers reserve. Specifically someone has attempted to make a new piece of single track by spraying poison across grassed and planted areas. As Brendan and I are friends he asked if I would post this on RB to get the word out and keep eyes peeled.

The bad news is that chemicals have been introduced to a natural area and PV is not pleased.
The good news is they went to Brendan in an attempt to appeal to the word of mouth social community to manage this “in-house” per se, rather than coming in and shutting down all of Boomers without consultation.

Additionally there is the attempted addition a-top the Upper Midden for what can only be termed a squiggle of ST to nowhere, there is no reason this should be undertaken to this existing trail. Please stop. The Midden and Orchid are ripper tracks already and don’t require any off shoots to nowhere.

It is not believed that the two activities are related as one is using chemicals/pesticides to make a trail and the other has used tools such as fire rake.

The last thing anyone wants is a labyrinth of "nothing" or pesticides being introduced so please allow this to grow out.

Knowledge is power, but a little bit of knowledge in the wrong hands can have negative consequences.

My belief is the person/s who used pesticides took the easy way and just weren’t informed, that is, didn’t know better (perhaps should have) and the person/s who cut the squiggles with turns big enough for a 16in bmx only, have their heart in the right place but just need to temper their effort and perhaps focus more on how to properly build a trail, why you build, where you build and future sustainability. There is heaps of information out there and heaps of people with knowledge.

I should also say I personally do not believe it is a RBr but rather local kids doing stuff in their "backyard".

Brendan also mentioned that certain areas were being reviewed with the view to fix things such as the half logs used as steps behind the shop being removed and potentially having a line for riders and another for horses and walkers. Additionally they are looking at engaging the use of brush cutters provided by the council to clear areas in working bees etc, so follow the SG MTB Assoc on FB. I think there is a working bee this Sunday too with Brad from the council and Brendan and the Assoc so check that out. I am told the team plan to clear away the long grass as you exit Boomers into Yanggai before you go down the dip into Wimbi which then brings you out at the cross roads.

Hopefully there is a shortage of that lilydale topping and we won’t see too much more of that rubbish strewn onto trails for a cheap fix :yuck:

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty ordinary mars but I agree, the acts are more clumsy than malicious.

There's a fine line between being a trail fairy or a trail vandal.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Brendan is also running a working bee tomorrow, so anyone who might be able to spare the time and effort should get down there to give him a hand. Check the SG Facebook page for details.
Cheers.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode SG Sunday arvo, and I was very pleased to see how well the trails coped with the 40+ mm of rain that had fallen. Other than the usual spots at Boomers and a few puddles elsewhere it was great out there.

Cleared a couple of fallen branches, but you wouldn't have known that there was so much water the night before...

800m elevation over 27km is not a shabby workout either.

I f***ng love Smiths Gully.