The Snow Thread

Trenton

Likes Dirt
Got back from Baw Baw yesterday, it honestly isn't that bad! It would of been better with a bit more snow, but perfect weather, got a few different trails, all not hard either. Got a sweet selection of Terrain Parks! I had a wicked time!

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
successful trip to an extent

hey all, haven't read this thread for the 09 season, but I was up there for last week with my bro and few of his mates at PERISHER (where else?)

First 3 days had some terribly crappy weather but some of the best Aussie snow I've ever skied on, including us going out and treking it to the top of olympic and the right side of the quad for some real powder, not the 'powder' thick n heavy we can get in AUS. The snow was brilliant, heaps of fun got the perisher vid first run on sunday! YES http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ICqKNTu3Y even if for like a quarter of a second, (36seconds in FV with yellow pants blue top)

Fourth day was crap cause my boots began to give me the shits, so I got some new ones and then got punished by my brother and he gave me his cold he had earlier in the week making the last few days hell but it sunned up and the snow wasn't ideal anyway. We got tonnes (about 700) of photos and about 10seonds of film by me(snow was just to good to film) so yer, sum up the trip was awesome fun and thats about my ten cents for the 09 snow thread.

Cheers trouble

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
went to perisher over the weekend.

saturday was amazing! great snow from the dump the night before and pefect conditions, no clouds, almost no wind, and great snow, what more could you ask for... comfier boots?:p
although the snow started getting a bit soggy towards the end of the day, but that was to be expected for that kind of weather.

sunday was still nice but wasnt as good as saturday.
took pics all day until the camera went flat.

Alec ; )

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Buller or Hotham...
??? are you asking where to go to?

if so when?
weekend?
weekday?
boarding, skiing?
terrain parks?
level of skill??

with the current cover at buller, its limited to begginer/intermediate riders.
their parks are fair from good, but still good to play around on, but i couldnt spend all day in one, 2 hours maxxx..

hotham, i havnt been there this season, but old man just got back from 2 weeks up there, and said it was really good, their parks are up and running, they seem to be building a pipe, and they have pretty much 100 percent terrain open.. hotham is the mountain od the blue/blacks, and suits intermediate/advanced riders more so then begginers.

been up a few times this season.. well more then a few!

kind of forgot about this thread.

up to falls again this weekend thurs-sun.

picked up some new boots today, to try kill my toe over hang problems!

$h0rty

Likes Dirt
Going boarding at Buller in the next few weeks for a couple of days, just wondering where's the best place to hire some gear?

I went up there in '07, but can't remember where we hired gear...Need the lot, pants, jacket, board etc, any recommendations? Better off hiring gear in Melb or up the mountain?? Only been boarding once before so I'm a beginner so don't need the 'best' gear but if anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Cheers.

dek_norco

Likes Dirt
well im leaving for perisher on the 16th til 22 so does anyone know how their parks are looking and how is thredbos terrain parks looking going for the second week at 31st till 6th

Last week us yr 11's from my school went to Hotham. Was my first time seeing proper snow. I had a awesome time skiing and it wasnt as hard to pick up (I thought anyway). I only stuck to the green runs but by the end of our final second and final day I was wishing I had more time to try some blue runs. The only thing I had trouble with was stopping but after some lessons I soon managed to slow myself down. Although I had loads of fun I think I will stick with riding my bike down hills.

Kuragari

Likes Bikes
Went down late July to Perisher, had great fun trying out the new board. Having my own gear is so much better, no sore feet for the first time ever! I'm heading down to Thredbo this weekend. Going to get some lessons this time, really want to start using more of this board's potential.

Although I had loads of fun I think I will stick with riding my bike down hills.
Just make sure it's on dirt. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypLuYbN2-ZQ

dek_norco

Likes Dirt
Went down late July to Perisher, had great fun trying out the new board. Having my own gear is so much better, no sore feet for the first time ever! I'm heading down to Thredbo this weekend. Going to get some lessons this time, really want to start using more of this board's potential.
lessons are good they point out all your faults and how to improve them i might see you at thredbo if we go there for a day, also what board are you riding.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
anyone planning to head up to falls creek this sunday?

i was there............

complete mountain closed abouste bullshit..

be a long time till i ever go back to fallscreek...
i dont want to get started with how FUCKING shit they managed a day like today..

maybe the fact i am so angry is, clearly the lifts were never going to open, but they make you wait around, untill 1 30, before they give you a refund on your ticket you bought 3 days ago. but they dont give you a refund they just give you a credit note.

and then they wont refund your mountain entry.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Anyone got those metal skis, I think they were Volkls?

Thinking about ticking the box for titanal construction for my new board. They reckon they've solved all the old delam problems of metal skis.

Kuragari

Likes Bikes
Just got back from Thredbo!

Holy mother of waterskiing, it was pouring like mad today! Still didn't stop me from going out though. :p

lessons are good they point out all your faults and how to improve them i might see you at thredbo if we go there for a day, also what board are you riding.
Yeah, the lessons were actually the most fun I had over the weekend, I ended up with the same instructor everyday, he was cool. Worked on turns the first day and a half, then got into some freestyle the second and third day. Hit my first boxes and jumps and had a great time. :)

bradleyR513

Likes Dirt
quick question, should i get gloves with fingers or mittens? There seems to be a lot of comfort in the mittens, but are they still practical when grabbing onto stuff? Do mittens look dicky? etc. I'm willing to spend up to $100, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kuragari

Likes Bikes
Mittens keep your digits warmer. Also, less seams = less places to leak from.

With mittens you can still put your bindings on (assuming you're snowboarding) no problems. It's the more fiddley things like using your mobile phone that you'll need to take them off for. However, I found I still couldn't use a mobile with finger gloves anyway, so it made no difference to me.

You won't look dicky in them. I honestly couldn't tell you what any one person other than myself was wearing on their hands this season, just not something I go around paying attention to. :)