The stupid questions thread.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
...way before 2013 for rear hubs kiddo. Road explains why the front is news to me.
Oh yeah forgot about that one.

It's sad, road did 12mm because they said 15mm is for hardcore mtbs. And mtbs at the time said, no way 20mm is for hardcore downhill. And now mtb says, nah 20mm works only if we boost it. I hate the bicycle industry.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oh yeah forgot about that one.

It's sad, road did 12mm because they said 15mm is for hardcore mtbs. And mtbs at the time said, no way 20mm is for hardcore downhill. And now mtb says, nah 20mm works only if we boost it. I hate the bicycle industry.
I often wonder if I could actually ride a 15mm axle fork with no worries...then I see how close the brake rotors sit to the legs and remember the flex I've felt in frames and forks over the years. I'm hoping, beyond reason perhaps, to see a good 20x110 resurgence!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I often wonder if I could actually ride a 15mm axle fork with no worries...then I see how close the brake rotors sit to the legs and remember the flex I've felt in frames and forks over the years. I'm hoping, beyond reason perhaps, to see a good 20x110 resurgence!
Boost and ultraboost. lol.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You need my special thru axle bolt and nut combo. Tightened to 60Nm. It looks like a reused Subaru headbolt, but I swear it really isn't.

safreek

OK, stupid question .
Have a "friend" looking at getting a bike, I cannot convince him to buy a real man's bike (DH , 26 inch) so he is looking at getting a 29r:oops:.
Question is, if I test ride the 29r for him will that make me a lesser man, like will I need to wear a skirt forever more ?
Or more to the point, should I even have someone for a friend that rides a 29r?
Thanks for any help guys

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
OK, stupid question .
Have a "friend" looking at getting a bike, I cannot convince him to buy a real man's bike (DH , 26 inch) so he is looking at getting a 29r:oops:.
Question is, if I test ride the 29r for him will that make me a lesser man, like will I need to wear a skirt forever more ?
Thanks for any help guys
I don't think a skirt will be necessary, but definitely Lycra as the outer layer.

Keep him as a friend tho, everyone needs and easy target to hang shit on

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
OK, stupid question .
Thanks for any help guys
Wear a kilt but no pants (as per the rules). That way if you shit on the saddle it becomes SEP.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What would cause a rapid wobble of the front wheel / bars when riding with no hands?

Have regreased and tightened the hub and it doesn't seem to have any play in it.

The wheel is true and there don't seem to be any abnormalities in the tyre (Schwalbe Kojak).

Headset seems tight with no play in it.

Rigid fork so not a suspension issue. Can't see any cracks and it feels solid still.

It's too fast to be a coordination issue and it generally feels a bit off cornering.

Got me absolutely stuffed what's causing it...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are your bars straight? Centred? Aligned?

Maybe you're running a really high psi and there is substantial feed back from the ground.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Are your bars straight? Centred? Aligned?

Maybe you're running a really high psi and there is substantial feed back from the ground.
Bars are straight. It's the commuter so probably got around 50psi in the Kojaks, but have always run them that high without an issue. Will try dropping some air out to see if that makes a difference.