The stupid questions thread.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What would cause a rapid wobble of the front wheel / bars when riding with no hands?

Have regreased and tightened the hub and it doesn't seem to have any play in it.

The wheel is true and there don't seem to be any abnormalities in the tyre (Schwalbe Kojak).

Headset seems tight with no play in it.

Rigid fork so not a suspension issue. Can't see any cracks and it feels solid still.

It's too fast to be a coordination issue and it generally feels a bit off cornering.

Got me absolutely stuffed what's causing it...
Turns out the lower headset cup bit had split and was loose on the fork steerer. Headset felt tight but obviously had just enough play in it to cause the shudder.

Stuff knows how that happened, it's been on there for 5 years now

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Turns out the lower headset cup bit had split and was loose on the fork steerer. Headset felt tight but obviously had just enough play in it to cause the shudder.

Stuff knows how that happened, it's been on there for 5 years now
That was going to be my next suggestion...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Do you think it will be worth while putting up a reminder post on the local area Farcebook page about young kids riding moto in a conservation park where it's not allowed ?

It started by them riding on the fire roads but now they've found the MTB and walking trails, I'm a bit worried that they'll go out there and rip them apart even more. I have reported them to the local council and they do take it half serious here but trying to catch the little buggers is another story. I'm more than happy seeing them ride on the fire roads but on the MTB trails for obvious reasons, not so much.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do you think it will be worth while putting up a reminder post on the local area Farcebook page about young kids riding moto in a conservation park where it's not allowed ?

It started by them riding on the fire roads but now they've found the MTB and walking trails, I'm a bit worried that they'll go out there and rip them apart even more. I have reported them to the local council and they do take it half serious here but trying to catch the little buggers is another story. I'm more than happy seeing them ride on the fire roads but on the MTB trails for obvious reasons, not so much.

Don't waste your time man. Just set up a heap of booby traps and catch them!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Don't waste your time man. Just set up a heap of booby traps and catch them!
I thought that deep inside it will be a waste of my time. I've already rolled some large boulders where they've straight lined the trail because the turn was too sharp for moto. If you get caught up here twice on crown land for unregistered and unlicensed they can impound the bike.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
So i've decided that instead of waiting for a huon pine shortage and selling my two small pieces I will instead use them to make a small and funnily shaped coffee table.

I"m just kinda wondering how you protect it against heat, uv rays, food stains and etc or is it just a case of wacking some legs on her and using it?

I would assume you would have to give it a good clean, lightly sand it than apply some sort of oil/water based seal than put another layer of stuff on it to act as a film or something for easier cleaning?

The legs are the easy part for me, it's just the process of what, if anything I put on it to protect it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Varies. The one I have used needs wood prep and tgen the resin over the top. It goes very liquid before it goes off so you need to ensure the top is level. One of mine I put barge boards around the edge and filled the top to about 3mm depth that filled a few cracks (old piece od Oregon scaffold plank) and then sand to a polish. Beautiful.

Skydome

i'm not really sure what to use tbh lol. I'm a little bit lost.

part of me says to give it a nice little sand and clean then apply some sealer than do the resin stuff to give it a nice polished look but i don't know.

First piece is gonna be the test one and that's one i'll use for myself, second one I might sell.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm guessing Houn pine is relatively soft? If so maybe something to seal and UV protect the wood, and get a (tempered) glass top cut to suit? Just a thought...

Skydome

I believe they are classed as a softwood but plenty of people don't do that with them and they are also are a quite dense tree.. I mean, there's huon pine chopping boards but adding a tempered class top would just add to the expense and imo over complicate it.