The stupid questions thread.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I need some decent trail tyres. How are those lovely chunky Michelins going? And I need to replace my rear shock and ask Santa for bigger balls.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
So I am currently riding a Nomad Mk2 (26") and after picking up a set of 160mm Lyrik RC's from MTBD and needing a new front wheel, decided to get a 27.5 front so now running a 27.5 front 26 rear. I am going to do the debonair upgrade and need some advice from the brains trust (use that phrase very loosely);
Is increasing the front end to 170mm going to raise my BB too much? I know just going to 27.5 will make an impact to head angle and BB height but will raising the travel push me that bit too far?
Also oil for lowers is supposed to be 0w30 but I have a bottle of Rock Oil SVI suspension fluid in 15w unopened is this useable?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rock-oil-svi-suspension-fluid/rp-prod8399
The issue and potential for problems with jacking up the front end isn't so much the BB height, it's the slackening of the head angle beyond its designed parameter. As the head angle is slackened, the stress path becomes more across the head tube and - crucially - the welds rather than along the tube axis, so the head tube area needs to be beefed up. If you slacken the front too far beyond its intended angle, you increase the risk of breaking the front end off your frame.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The other issue with raising the front end is it often enables the rider to put the bikes usage into another category, turning an xc bike into a trail bike.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Although if you think realistically, the lines between categories are a lot blurrier than the mucketing people would like you to believe. Aside from full-blown DH sleds, most bikes are ridden as "trail" bikes 98% of the time......

goobags

Likes Dirt
So I am currently riding a Nomad Mk2 (26") and after picking up a set of 160mm Lyrik RC's from MTBD and needing a new front wheel, decided to get a 27.5 front so now running a 27.5 front 26 rear. I am going to do the debonair upgrade and need some advice from the brains trust (use that phrase very loosely);
Is increasing the front end to 170mm going to raise my BB too much? I know just going to 27.5 will make an impact to head angle and BB height but will raising the travel push me that bit too far?
Also oil for lowers is supposed to be 0w30 but I have a bottle of Rock Oil SVI suspension fluid in 15w unopened is this useable?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rock-oil-svi-suspension-fluid/rp-prod8399
I’m running 15w in a Pike, Lyrik and a mates Pike and it seems to do the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ok this one is going to be pretty stupid, but hey, 2018 is almost behond me might as well this year than a fresh one haha.

I have 160mm and 180mm Avid G2CS rotors that are brand new. Trying to cut a few costs and use these with SLX brakes that are already on the bike (new wheelset). Should work (let me know otherwise) but the stupid question is:

Will the turkeys come out if I do this or is turkey gobbling more to do with avid brake calipers/levers?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Mixing rotor and brake brands has never been an issue for me. Well except the time I tried to use shimano XT floating rotors with hope brakes. That didn't work.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I had to move to the Shimanos to get centre lock to stop the Hope’s fouling the caliper mounts because the 6-bolt adaptors pushed the rotors out too far...ah standards...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have had to shim calipers out and across to centre them perfectly. I put it down to shit quality control during frame manufacture. Anyway no issue if you have the bits.

I just made up some brackets for the plastic kayak so I can fit an electric trolling motor. The M6 rivnuts pulled through the plastic so I was going to make up a long M8/M6 bolt to hold the brackets down and also hold the motor mount. M8 at the bottom obviously and mostly for giggles but I just tapped the bracket M8 and screwed into those to hold the bits on. Might still turn up the speshul bolt later for fun.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Which means that you had 203mm rotors and needed some shims or a 203mm adapter.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Probably. Says 203mm (edit here - just checked rotor because i got curious) on the rotor and the forks are Marzocchi 66, so 200 is their default rotor size. I probably could've messed around with some shims looking for the sweet spot (I've got more than enough of them in the small parts organiser), but I had some conventional rotors in the collection that have worked out just fine.

I've got the 203mm rotor on the same forks now with XT brakes and it's all running sweet. But I changed frames, so I'm pretty sure that was probably the problem.

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had to move to the Shimanos to get centre lock to stop the Hope’s fouling the caliper mounts because the 6-bolt adaptors pushed the rotors out too far...ah standards...
Just been dealing with this. Used a combination of different centerlock adapters but it's working.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know where to buy rear boost adapter's locally? Preferably the ones that don't require the rear wheel to be re-dished.

I ordered some from China but fark knows when they will arrive and I am too pumped to ride the new frame.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk