The stupid questions thread.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Is it ok to charge my laptop (Macbook Air) with a USB-C cable and the small 5w power brick from my phone? Rather than the 60ish watt brick it came with?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It is a big W not w. And it probably wont charge. The electrons wont be able to make it through the cable and into the computer.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Got ya on the W

I ended up finding a video where a guy charged his Macbook Pro with one and it took 20 hours... I wouldn't mind it taking a bit longer, but if its not even gonna charge it as fast as it's draining then I don't think it's much help.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
What would happen if you used marine grease when greasing DT Ratchets (18t)?
Dunno, the ratchet rings need to separate to freewheel. Marine grease seems to be stickier than the DT 'Special Grease'. Could affect disengagement and engagement? 18T probably less sensitive than the higher engagement versions with smaller teeth.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Dunno, the ratchet rings need to separate to freewheel. Marine grease seems to be stickier than the DT 'Special Grease'. Could affect disengagement and engagement? 18T probably less sensitive than the higher engagement versions with smaller teeth.
I'm guessing the thicker grease will create some extra spinning resistance translating to the real world result of me noticing sweet FA?
I don't do much climbing and when I do, I'm pretty terrible at it

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm guessing the thicker grease will create some extra spinning resistance translating to the real world result of me noticing sweet FA?
I don't do much climbing and when I do, I'm pretty terrible at it
The rings ain't spinning when you are climbing, only when you are freewheeling ! I'm more thinking about proper engagement/disengagement of the ratchet teeth to avoid damage. The friction difference when rolling under freewheel will be immaterial.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
The rings ain't spinning when you are climbing, only when you are freewheeling ! I'm more thinking about proper engagement/disengagement of the ratchet teeth to avoid damage. The friction difference when rolling under freewheel will be immaterial.
Ahh yep, makes sense!