The stupid questions thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So...I haven't been on snow in Australia for maybe 10 years. Last year I was defiant and now...I've given up all hope in the despair of covid. Anyway, I got caught up in the hype and purchased an epic pass. Well kind of...I gave them $50 to secure one. Their wording is total bullshit! It seems that by paying $50 up front I make no saving and have made a commitment I can't easily back out of. Anyone here know more about this shit?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The 'savings' are biggest at the beginning of the sale period (end of previous season), and then reduce as the months go on. I think when I committed my $50 they were 750 or 800 or so, looks like $950 now. Not sure what the price is if you pay once the season starts, but a fair bit more I expect.

I assume you can back out by forfeiting the deposit.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Left towards the end of the pack is an expectation.
Breaking down 1/2 was through day one was the concern.
Nothing that all of that added fitness wouldn't fix hauling around a backpack full of bike fixing tools.
Winning all round again.

There should be a trophy or at least a badge of honour for the final rider to make the finish.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Anyone looking for a brand new only installed Charger 2.1 RCT3 ?? No guarantees it's a 2.1 :rolleyes:

Will swap for RC2 - but must be 2.1 :D
Beats me why RS don't have some way to tell these apart. I guess there is no place for serial number or bar code. What is stamped on the box is the only place to find it. Definitely a roll of the dice. There must be some easier way to figure it out.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The 'savings' are biggest at the beginning of the sale period (end of previous season), and then reduce as the months go on. I think when I committed my $50 they were 750 or 800 or so, looks like $950 now. Not sure what the price is if you pay once the season starts, but a fair bit more I expect.

I assume you can back out by forfeiting the deposit.

Well see that is what I thought...but it was all very "we are saving your card details to ensure you pay when it is due." Also the info I read seemed to imply the price I will pay is the same as if I didn't pay the $50. Further it wasnt easy to find information regarding how much lift tickets were last season. I'm sure I'll get plenty of value out of it and hopefully I can get to Japan for the bonus days on the back half of it. They seem to go out of their way to blindside the consumer. I hate Australian ski fields so much but I miss snowboarding. I have also sold my play board and am no totally freaking out that my new board will just end up trashed in the shitty conditions!

But wait .... I still have the indestructible Rossignol mini!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yeah Perisher's comms suck, that's true. Thing with Aussie snow is you just have to go when it snows - the good stuff doesn't last long.

I pretty much hang out in the ski.com.au weather forums, and when they say it's on I go.

Got in 14 or 15 days last season. It's not the northern hemisphere, but I'm out my front door and on the lift in two and a half hours if I time it right.

Better than nuthin... but get a second used board if you're protective of your fave.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
the good stuff doesn't last long.

Better than nuthin.
There is no good stuff. I've been stuck in plenty of "big storms" down there, but it is still just wet slush at best dropped down over thin icy crud, rocks, and mud. I will be attending with my mind very clearly accepting it as a slush slashing adventure.

And yes, as you say...better than nothing.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It’s not japow, doesn’t mean it can’t be good. I grew up in a country with very big snowy mountains and I still have fun.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It’s not japow, doesn’t mean it can’t be good. I grew up in a country with very big snowy mountains and I still have fun.
Let's not confuse good and fun. Unless you end up in hospital, the worst a day on snow is going to be is fun.

As for japow, the last season there was a long way from good in most locations. I still got plenty of powder, especially midseason, but there was a very long rocky stretch. I saw shrines I'd never seen before! Did I have fun though? Yes...yes I did. Even riding my (at the time) new board over gravel to get back to the gondola at Happo!

moorey

call me Mia
Nothing that all of that added fitness wouldn't fix hauling around a backpack full of bike fixing tools.
Winning all round again.

There should be a trophy or at least a badge of honour for the final rider to make the finish.
I’d have a very full pool room.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Whatever I’m paying you as my PR agent, you need a raise.
Well, I have been meaning to talk to you about that. The kids need shoes.

My services are SLX quality with XTR price tags. I always need spare bikes too, especially fine English single pivots, just sayin'.......