The stupid questions thread.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
who thought it would be a good idea to not have the clock visible at all times in windows 8?

and more importantly, is there a way to remedy this?

Seriously considering going back to windows 7

Norco Maniac

Is back!
who thought it would be a good idea to not have the clock visible at all times in windows 8?

and more importantly, is there a way to remedy this?

Seriously considering going back to windows 7
come to the Dark Side. Microsoft lost me for good at that farce they named Vista.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Why does each day of the week end in the word day? If each day also has a night. And why do we refer to each day as a day and a night of each day? If day is considered a unit of time which is equal to 24hrs, then where does night come in? Is nightime part of the daytime? If so then how can daytime be 24hrs? Is my question soo stupid it doesn't make any sense?
As Moorey has pointed out, the days are mostly named after gods. Norse ones to be precise.

Now in Scandinavian countries like Norway and Sweden daylight can last for weeks during summer and in winter they all bugger off backpacking around SE Asia. This gives them a sense that night time is a bit of a novelty and thus not worth including in the title when they were naming the days.

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Day obviously has two meanings. Day when the sun is up and it's light, or Day as 24hrs, the time it takes the earth to spin all the way round. Lots of words have two meanings that are similar, especially when there is a technical description and one used in general day to day speech.

Like A week is 7 days, or when you say 'during the week' when you are talking about the 5 days in between weekends.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Day obviously has two meanings. Day when the sun is up and it's light, or Day as 24hrs, the time it takes the earth to spin all the way round. Lots of words have two meanings that are similar, especially when there is a technical description and one used in general day to day speech.

Like A week is 7 days, or when you say 'during the week' when you are talking about the 5 days in between weekends.
After doing a little research, I have found my answer. From what I understand, The word day only has one meaning, It is a word used to describe a unit if time, much like a second or a year. A day is equal to about 24hrs, and part of this day there is light and darkness which is a subdivision of the day, which can be represented in the solar day and usually defined in hours and minutes. The term night-time & day-time seems to be a way for us to distinguish a current time of the overall 24 hours and is not an overall specific set measurement of time in itself, as this will vary greatly depending on where you are in the world. The term night-time & day-time helps us identify the two of the stages within a day and thus accordingly our general activities in which are to be done. A very simplistic example would be during the daylight period of the day (24hrs) most people work. And during the Night part of the day (24hrs) most people sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_of_time

Last edited:
J

JaRedy

If I vacuum up a feather and a bowling ball, then drop the vacuum out of the window, which hits the ground first?

J

JaRedy

The vacuum.
Just looked it up, according to an interesting article posted in the NewScience Journal, since there is air resistance acting upon the vacuum the bowling ball and feather will fall faster than the vacuum itself thereby overtaking the vacuum and tearing it apart in what is called an atmospheric distortion.

Apparently you can avoid this distortion by keeping the vacuum powered and running as you chuck it out the window (in theory) but no scientist has been able to prove the theory since vacuum power cords aren't long enough.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^^^^^^^I do believe the glass from the window would hit the ground first.

How come no bicycle company has added an extra cassette and derailleur to a mountain bike so we can achieve speeds of 80kmph very easily on the trails?, After all, what is more fun than going fast on singletrack, eye wateringly fast on singletrack. I'm thinking like some of the funky recumbent bikes that have 72 gears and can easily overtake a Lorry whilst riding into a brisk headwind.

Second question: Why is it that when I spend a lot of time around people from the You-Kay, Whaales, Scootlund and Ir-Land do I start to borrow from their vernacular and develop a wee accent myself?

Last edited:

Bermshot

Banned
[Second question: Why is it that when I spend a lot of time around people from the You-Kay, Whaales, Scootlund and Ir-Land do I start to borrow from their vernacular and develop a wee accent myself?]

Because they sound cool. Why do people pick up a yank accent after only a few weeks?

I'm wanting to get a mate some booze and some decent glasses for his 21st. I was thinking of something like a bottle of Blue Label but it's a tad more than I really want to spend and also not everyone like drinking scotch and other dark spirits; even if they do cost $150. I thought something along the lines of Tequila would be the go. Even if you're not a fan of the taste, it's always a good way to party on getting a group of people doing shots.

I have a pretty decent idea about styles, Agave content and stuff like that, but I don't tend to drink a lot of the stuff, so I was hoping someone who has more experience with the consumption side could point me in the right direction.

Other ideas and suggestions are welcome; maybe a bottle of Grey Goose or other good quality vodka would do the trick. I also would prefer something that isn't all that common and you wouldn't find at your local pub/club.

Cheers in advance.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Other ideas and suggestions are welcome; maybe a bottle of Grey Goose or other good quality vodka would do the trick. I also would prefer something that isn't all that common and you wouldn't find at your local pub/club.

Cheers in advance.

If you're looking for something less common, check out the Illegal Mezcal range. Kinda in the tequila vein but has a gorgeous smokiness to it. Comes in your usual ages so prices are up to you.

Tequila:
-Don Julio is great for the price point, but isn't exactly rare. Don't touch Patron with a 10ft pole if you're intending it to be enjoyed over time (its only worth cheap shots anyway)
-If you can find it- Gran Centenario Anejo. Was only recently brought into Aus after the repo and plata recieving high praise. Hands down best tequila I've ever tasted (and the bar I used to work for had at least 50 stocked consistently). Be prepared to reach into your savings for it- the reposado is also pretty nice

Vodka:
-My favourite vodka is Wyborowa Exquisite. Single estate 100% rye and is literally the purest vodka I've had (possibly in the world, I think I read that somewhere). Also remarkable well priced for the stunning quality (>$100)
-GG is on par with Smirnoff these days in terms of quality, gone to shit when rappers started dropping it into songs (Patron suffered the same fate) I'd steer clear.

There are some great whiskys too but I could be here all day! Feel free to PM if you want to pick my brain some more.

Oh last note, hit up a royal doulton outlet for glasses.

wombat

Lives in a hole
The only tequila I've had that I could actually drink (as opposed to just throwing back) was something in a little, short, stout bottle, with a name that started with "herr..." or something. I was told it was stupidly expensive, but it was also incredibly smooth and flavourful, definately not the sort of thing you have for shots.

Personally I'm a big fan of Oban 14 yo as a lovely scotch that won't break the bank; in fact I'm looking at two bottles sitting on the shelf at the moment and really feeling like a drink. :(

Surely it's gotta depend on what your mate likes to drink though, what is it?

Edit: This is the tequila, Herradura seleccion
tequila_Herradura_Seleccion_Suprema.jpg

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm wanting to get a mate some booze and some decent glasses for his 21st. I was thinking of something like a bottle of Blue Label but it's a tad more than I really want to spend and also not everyone like drinking scotch and other dark spirits; even if they do cost $150. I thought something along the lines of Tequila would be the go. Even if you're not a fan of the taste, it's always a good way to party on getting a group of people doing shots.
Blue label's a blended whisky by the distillery equivalent of Coca-Cola so whilst, taste-wise it's not a bad drop, it is horrendously overpriced purely for the sake of appearing 'exclusive'

If you're mate's a spirit connoisseur then by all means hit up the decent single malts or boutique tequila - Whisky is my area of expertise but I can't really heartily recommend anything (other than DON'T F***ING MIX IT OR PUT IT ON THE ROCKS!!!) as the great thing about whisky is that each distillery has their own unique flavour and what works for some folks, doesn't work for others. Personally, I prefer my peaty Islay malts like Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg although Glenfiddich's Gran Reserva is an absolute star (it's matured in Cuban rum casks so has a weird rummy leather aftertaste)

That said when I was 21 I doubt I could really have considered myself a proper connoisseur and hell, I grew up with the stuff! I'd have preferred something that just didn't taste of paint stripper and came in a cool bottle. In that case, I'd hit up Dan Murphy's and see what they've got in amongst the whisky box-sets. Alternatively if you want a gift that will wind up being a talking point, and can be re-used I'd go for a bottle of Kalashnikov or Red Army vodka. I doubt they're the smoothest vodka out there but seeing as 99% of voddy ends up drowned in mixers, who cares? Especially when they come in bottles like these...

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Don't get a someone booze for their 21st, it'll just be pissed into the toilet and forgotten about.

I'd personally get him something like a nice Zippo engraved with his name or maybe a set of pewter goblets, something he can have forever. Personally I think the best thing to do would be to get a few people to chip in and get him a nice watch. Entry level Tissots can be had fairly cheap or if you can only get one or two people to go in with you then have a look at Android watches.

If you really want to get him something have a look at Glenmorangie Signet. Probably a tad more than you wanted to spend (about $200) but it's a properly good drop.