The stupid questions thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
the expanded area at the bottom is for the crown race to seat. if it were 1.5" tapered, the crown race wouldn't have a hope in hell of fitting.

remove the crown race, cut a slot in it, refit. you'll thank yourself when you realise how easy it goes on and more importantly if you ever need to remove it.

Sheer genius! Does this have any negative impact on the performance of the bearing race?

stirk

Burner
Ok, stupid me can't find help, even by searching, how to upload a profile picture. I'm sure sure I've seen a thread about it too which makes it more embarrassing!

Help please...

:behindsofa:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Looking for 100mm forks with straight steerer and 15mm axle. Does such an animal still exist (other than a Suntour thing)? Doesn't have to be new, hints?

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why do tradies (observing roof tilers across the road) NOT wear shirts etc to keep cool on hot days? Isn't this flawed logic? I love wearing long sleeves when I'm working out and about on a hot day, or is that just me?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Why do tradies (observing roof tilers across the road) NOT wear shirts etc to keep cool on hot days? Isn't this flawed logic? I love wearing long sleeves when I'm working out and about on a hot day, or is that just me?
It's not about keeping cool brah, it's about giving the ladies what they want.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Looking for 100mm forks with straight steerer and 15mm axle. Does such an animal still exist (other than a Suntour thing)? Doesn't have to be new, hints?
Yeah, Rockshox SID, Reba and Revelation are still available with straight steerers. So is most 26 and 29" Fox 32 Float and Talas.

You can still have 80-150 mm travel these days with 15mm and straight steerers, and they're all 32 mm tubes.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Generally speaking I'm pretty proficient in MS office programs, but this one has me completely stumped.

We have a massive document (50 odd pages) that when printed, grabs the same random paragraph and inserts it in random spots throughout the document, overwriting text that is there. This ONLY happens when we hit print (either to pdf or normal print) and is the same paragraph each time. Weird bit is that it doesn't just print this way, it actually alters the document contents once you've hit print.

Any ideas??? I'm the third one to look at it, spent 4 hours ripping out ALL of the formatting and setting it to new styles, but still no change??

funkymonkey

Likes Dirt
Sometimes happens to my work computers, but with individual letters - just them leaving a blank spot, then doubles up later on.

I usually cut the whole thing, then past in a new document and always works for me...

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Generally speaking I'm pretty proficient in MS office programs, but this one has me completely stumped.

We have a massive document (50 odd pages) that when printed, grabs the same random paragraph and inserts it in random spots throughout the document, overwriting text that is there. This ONLY happens when we hit print (either to pdf or normal print) and is the same paragraph each time. Weird bit is that it doesn't just print this way, it actually alters the document contents once you've hit print.

Any ideas??? I'm the third one to look at it, spent 4 hours ripping out ALL of the formatting and setting it to new styles, but still no change??
sounds like you have bookmarks/cross references in there.

go to Insert -> Bookmarks, and see if there are any there... you can have text that copies and updates through the document when you update the original bookmarked text.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Or indexing or tracked changes or some other hidden formatting issue like an incompatible style. Have you allowed show formatting?

When I've worked on big docs with issues I usually clear all formatting and start with a clean skin. Time consuming, but less frustrating.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Might not help you now, but in future try using Lyx or Latex. It's a bit of a learning curve but for correctly and quickly formatting it makes life good.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 1996 Honda Civic, and I am looking it driving at 3000km next week. The car has 205 on the clock. It's been serviced mostly up to date. Last week I got the timing belt changed, and the mechanic noted that 'All drive belts need replacing' (why in hell he didn't replace them why he was there IDK). Now I had a look at them, and the alternator/power steering look ok (newish, not cracked or frayed). But the water pump belt looks a little frayed on one side. Is driving it across 2 states a stupid idea? It's also a little bit squealy when I drive it cold, until I reach a main road..

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did the whole cut/paste, whole reformat... checked for bookmarks and indexing as well- nothing. I show formats whenever I pick up someone else's docs for that reason haha it's usually fucked from some line/page break issue. Ended up deleting the problem area, saving a couple revisions and printing on those pages... managed to somehow get it right. Plain format paste helped but I wasn't doing the whole document again!

Got lucky, thanks guys!