The stupid questions thread.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It doesn't look particuarly easy, not a lot of space to work and have to remove an engine mount to get the belt off.. Any ideas on how much it would be for a mechanic to do it? I dont really have a lot of time to waste..

EDIT: Should probably say, the mechanic said replace them soon

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
Did the whole cut/paste, whole reformat... checked for bookmarks and indexing as well- nothing. I show formats whenever I pick up someone else's docs for that reason haha it's usually fucked from some line/page break issue. Ended up deleting the problem area, saving a couple revisions and printing on those pages... managed to somehow get it right. Plain format paste helped but I wasn't doing the whole document again!

Got lucky, thanks guys!
not sure if this is 'showing the formatting' that you are referring to - but the shortcut [ctl-shift-8] shows up some pretty funky formatting (that's the number 8 not F8)

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
laptops

At $500 what specs should I be looking at to get the best value laptop? Or are they all pretty basic and similar at this price? Only used for interweb, assignments and such. However at this price I wasn't sure if cores, processors and all that really came into play.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
At $500 what specs should I be looking at to get the best value laptop? Or are they all pretty basic and similar at this price? Only used for interweb, assignments and such. However at this price I wasn't sure if cores, processors and all that really came into play.
I have had 2 HP notebooks for well under $500 new. Both worked well enough.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a long running competition between General Practitioner's to see who can write the least legible scripts and signatures? Now I've seen some corkers in my time but surely this takes the cake!

photo.JPG

stirk

Burner
So maybe another fwit moment but as delivered the new bikes head cap to steerer tube gap with all the fitted spacers is 5mm. See pic.

The stem top has maybe 2/3 steerer to grip now.

Will the headset bed down and reduce this gap after tightening up the head cap after a few rides?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
That's fine, although you probably wouldn't want any more than that. You need the steerer top to be some way below the top of the stem to ensure you can tighten the headset. If there's not enough gap the underside of the cap bottoms out on the steerer & you can't pull proper bearing tension.

stirk

Burner
That's fine, although you probably wouldn't want any more than that. You need the steerer top to be some way below the top of the stem to ensure you can tighten the headset. If there's not enough gap the underside of the cap bottoms out on the steerer & you can't pull proper bearing tension.
Thanks,

I researched how to tighten up the headset but most other pics online seemed to have a smaller gap.

I guess I'll just check it after a few rides.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Thanks,

I researched how to tighten up the headset but most other pics online seemed to have a smaller gap.

I guess I'll just check it after a few rides.
I installed a Easton stem the other day and read the instructions out of boredom.

From memory they said 2-3mm MAX, as long as it's about the top bolt by a little more than halfway good enough for me. You got some stem spacers you can play with, could always move on to the top if your concerned.

stirk

Burner
I installed a Easton stem the other day and read the instructions out of boredom.

From memory they said 2-3mm MAX, as long as it's about the top bolt by a little more than halfway good enough for me. You got some stem spacers you can play with, could always move on to the top if your concerned.
yeah it's got a 2mm spacer I could use but with the 2mm the head cap enters the stem it get's close to hitting the steerer tube.

I'll go for a few rides and see how it beds in, if it does at all.

thanks mate

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
That's probably on about the limit for me. I don't think you'd want any lower than that. The top cap is essentially only for getting the tension on the headset right. Theoretically once the headset it loaded properly and your stem is tightened you could run without the top cap, so the most important part is that the stem can grasp the steerer properly. If you're worried about it you could look for a lower stack height stem, or replace that 2mm spacer with a couple of shims.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not sure if this is 'showing the formatting' that you are referring to - but the shortcut [ctl-shift-8] shows up some pretty funky formatting (that's the number 8 not F8)
Same destination, different trail, I just use the character mark in the toolbar to get there :)

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
yeah it's got a 2mm spacer I could use but with the 2mm the head cap enters the stem it get's close to hitting the steerer tube.

I'll go for a few rides and see how it beds in, if it does at all.

thanks mate
how about moving the spacer to above the stem rather than doing away with it altogether.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Yeah I'm curious why you just don't run less spacers under the stem? Looks like you have lots of room to work with.
If the height becomes an issue than you could get some riser bars.

moorey

call me Mia
Is it hypocritical for my hippy mate to fly to New York to attend the international day of climate action?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Is it hypocritical for my hippy mate to fly to New York to attend the international day of climate action?
You need to facepalm him.........with a chair.

He really should be sailing, in a recycled sail boat made from daisies.