The Tool Thread

Minlak

custom titis
the credit cards going to look like a salad left out in the sun pretty quickly when you actually want quality. collect the tools you want, get them into tool rolls into a pelican case. much nicer.
This is what I am thinking of doing now - I mean I can justify it as a business expense so make the company pay for it and save some GST but still a lot of tools I would not use vs all in a neat box

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I
Was looking today at tool chests - like the idea of every tool having its place - not sure I can do it though - most of the quality sets are in excess of $1000 now - just would not use it enough to justify - guess I will probably just buy seperate ones that I want.
Looked at Kincrome mainly as I have a soft spot for them.
Did find that Kincrome now do a Supatools Premium set for about half the price - any reviews I could find though we’re not very flattering.
I've got some Supatool open ended spanners missing one of their open ends...one of those caused me to punch the living end out of my ribcage. I'm not buying anymore of that particular brand.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You've got a TradeTools in Bundesbarg. Look at some of the Force tools in cases. We carry one in the camper. Allen keys could be better as could the hammer but I take other bits too in a separate toolbox, multimeter, crimping pliers, snips etc.

As for home workshop tools... have four wheelie trolleys with multiple shelves. Oops.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So call me weird...

And also I like T-Handle Hex Keys. Have been doing some bike building and maintenance of late and my selection of old and cheap allen keys is not cutting the mustard, so I've donated them and a bunch of other tools and parts to a local high school for their voluntary, after school bike maintenance program. On that point how do I get one of those gold stars Moorey receives for helping out kids for no reason other than he's a good and decent bloke?

Is it worth paying the money for those fancy new T-Handle Keys, particularly the ones with the rounded bolt head and if so where's a good place to get them from at a lower price than others.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
@ozzybmx, got a link to the welder you have? I'm after a budget, but hopefully not too crap, welder to learn with.
Here you go.

I've had mine for about 2 years, it was $199 back then and came with an auto darkening helmet.

I initially went in to buy a Cigweld and the bloke in the shop pointed me towards the cheaper Michigan branded one instead.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bought this plasma cutter -

Offered $245, eBay seller counter offered with $250... its all about the game, never pay full odds when they accept an offer :p

Boys have been doing out plans and templates for trail tools on 7mm steel checker plate, its hefty plate and we may have to cut some weight weenie holes on the tools.

Their tool designs are a bit of a mix between these 2 tool makers.

Its good for them, keeps them off the electronics between rides ;)

treble

Likes Dirt
Just came across this thread, thought people might be interersted in the setup I put together a couple of years ago.
Its a Tactix toolbox from Bunnings that has just about every bike tool I need for most tasks.
I cut some foam for the most used tools on top and the drawers underneath have loads of small spares and tools. It gets put in the back of the car for races and riding trips. And it was fairly cheap to set up - minus the tools which have been accumulated over a long period of time.

Attachments

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Can I get opinions on work benches? What do people use, where did you get them from and how are they set up?

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can I get opinions on work benches? What do people use, where did you get them from and how are they set up?
Google “pallet rack workbench”. I used the orange and blue ones without a built in upper shelf. Think I paid under $250 with 10-12mm particle board top and shelf. They are tough and sturdy.