The Track Thread

ordie

Likes Bikes
was wondering the reason no brakes are allowed, but also, i am looking at having a go at track, i have a specialized langster i bought secondhand as a commuter/ to have a go of fixed riding, can i just take the brake off and leave the levers without cable on my bars? don't really want to re-do the bike just to have a go at track.
no you have to strip the bike and only have drop bars and no drink holder ect ect

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I live about 400m from our local Velodrome, it's an old concrete track, around 200m long (or a bit longer I think).

I had raced there when I was 13 years old (8 years ago). Only did the one race, I liked it and was encouraged to take it up by some club members, but never did (probably a mixture of road style bikes, shaved legs, etc. being uncool when you're a teenager).

Anyway, the local club has grown in those 8 years and they held a carnival tonight so I went up and had a look. Ended up staying and watching every race, absolutely loved it! Now I want to get into it! I asked a few people there and they said the track is open all the time if you are a member of the club that owns it (which I am). I'm gonna take my roadie up there and have a ride on my own before I go to a club meeting or training night. Only thing is I have to stay on the flat around the corners as my Road cranks will be too long and could clip the bank.

Anyway, looking forward to it, and kicking myself for seeing how fast the guys and girls I rode with 8 years ago are now!

The Big Ox

Cannon Fodder
Racing in Melb is HOT HOT on Tuesday and Thursday night's at DISC in Thornbury..

You need to be there before 7:30 pm and have a current racing license and you can roll with some of the best around..

Bring ya $10 and come join the fun...

KonaAlec

Likes Dirt
any track racers in perth, I am 15 and am really keen to race but don't know where to go or where to start

cheers

claytos

Squid
Hey, im also a rider from midvale track. theres a beginners session at 4 30 on mondays and 6:00 on tuesdays. As dunk said the season is slowing up and racing will only be on every 4 weeks or so. But I think the training wont change.

Im 14 from Perth and I have been riding track and road for about 1 and a half years. It gets pretty full on but I just got home from Adelade track nationals so it slows down a bit now. Its mad fun for anyone that wnats to give it a go weather for fun or to go out and win races.

My bike is an Avanti team pista carbon with teschner bars, mavic open pro wheels and durace cranks. It goes alright :D

KonaAlec

Likes Dirt
well I have a shwinn madison in YELLOW which I bought not for riding on the track, but it should do

yeah I went to that begginers session for a few weeks, but I want to get into racing and training + the average age at the beginers session was like 8 so it was a bit akward:rolleyes:

ps. sounds like you have a sexy ass bike:p

Last edited:

claytos

Squid
well I have a shwinn madison in YELLOW which I bought not for riding on the track, but it should do

yeah I went to that begginers session for a few weeks, but I want to get into racing and training + the average age at the beginers session was like 8 so it was a bit akward:rolleyes:

ps. sounds like you have a sexy ass bike:p

Yeah im guessing you went to the 4:30 session on monday not the 6:00 one on tuesday? on tuesdays there isnt any little kids and they normally do races (theyre the same as proper race nights but its in a training session) Once you get a bit better or more confident on the track then there will be more training sessions available to you.

Yeah once you start doing proper racing then its awesome :-D

COR10

Likes Bikes
summer season is wound down BUT WINTER season is just starting with Track cycling WA.
First race is 17th April and it will be roughly every second friday. The NEW winter season.
Go to Tuesday nights and meet some people, dates should be confirmed soon.

How to shave seconds off the sprint?

Hey Guys, just wondering if there are any tips on how to get seconds of the 200m sprint because i am 2 seconds off the being in the TIS and want to get in this summer.
For example what sort of weight training at the gym and stuff.
and pedaling technique?

Thanks
James

P.s: I'm restricted to 90inch I think... I'm 17 turning 18 in Aug and is a real indoor wooden velo faster than outdoor concrete with no big banks.

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys, just wondering if there are any tips on how to get seconds of the 200m sprint because i am 2 seconds off the being in the TIS and want to get in this summer.

P.s: I'm restricted to 90inch I think... I'm 17 turning 18 in Aug and is a real indoor wooden velo faster than outdoor concrete with no big banks.
2 second improvement in a 200 m time is a huge improvement (depending on the time your already doing). If the time you need to do is say 12.2 seconds, to improve from 14.2 second you will need to lift you average speed from 50.7kph to 59kph. For a lot of people that will never happen.

A indoor wooden track like Launceston is considerably faster than an outdoor track - is it 2 seconds faster over 200? Probably not.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Dunk,
Your alive....
how's the training coming along for your track world domination?

Pm me your email.....

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Dunk,
Your alive....
how's the training coming along for your track world domination?

Pm me your email.....
Not very well. Haven't done much training for the track at all. Added to that a baby due when the worlds are on making it not likely I'll be allowed to go now!

Maybe in a few years if they come back to Australia.

PM'ed my email.

Girth Brooks

Likes Bikes
Hey , i just rocked into Sydney from Vancouver BC . I learned to race at the Burnaby Indoor Velodrome . It's super ghetto , I'm sooo stoked at the number of, and quality of tracks out here . You guys got it good !! I can't wait to get out there and have my ass handed to me . I'm used to a super short 200m steep ass track , never ridden anything else . Sadly my track only bike is coming surface mail so it'll take forever . Someone in a previous post asked why no brakes on a velodrome . When racing wind resistance is your biggest enemy . If you stay within 4" of someones rear wheel it takes something like 35-40 percent less effort then the person at the front. With margins that tight you dont want anyone scrubbing speed off with a brake . Its hard enough to manage that margin just with your legs . Bottom line is brakes are dangerous on teh track . I'm sure that explanation sucked , but i tried . Cheers

2 second improvement in a 200 m time is a huge improvement (depending on the time your already doing). If the time you need to do is say 12.2 seconds, to improve from 14.2 second you will need to lift you average speed from 50.7kph to 59kph. For a lot of people that will never happen.

A indoor wooden track like Launceston is considerably faster than an outdoor track - is it 2 seconds faster over 200? Probably not.
The time i can pump out is 13.5secs, but that was after a 40km ride and having a cross wind while doing the sprint. i need 11.5 to be in TIS. I have been at the gym doing leg presses and squats etc to build leg strength. and im running 50x15 and i think im allowed to run 53x14 so that's an extra 90cm.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tandems

In my search for a few odd bits and pieces I managed to pick up a set of proper tandem track cranks and am now thinking it would be nice to put them on something.

However, I can't remeber the last time I saw a tandem track bike or frame, and was wondering how common these beasties are, and if there is a secret stash of tandam track frames hidden away somewhere.

Any clues to where I could find something?