The Track Thread

QZ13

Likes Dirt
secret stash somewhere.
I have ye olde one in my living room, awaiting headset and paint. My old man rebirthed it as a beach cruiser SS when I was a wee lad. Pure old school track bike though.

Pure track tandems are rare, I have only seen one other in the flesh.

I have another mixte type tandem that I'm hoping to build as a kids track bike too :)

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Any clues to where I could find something?
Ring Yvonne at Penny Farthing Bicycle Shop in Alice Springs.. She was telling me about two club members who were into in late 80s/early 90s and shelved the frame in town somewhere.. she should be able to point ou in the right direction.

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
carlin reminded me about this thread, so i thought id ask here, not just in the fixie thread.

I'm planning on building up a track bike just for a weekly training session and maybe some racing if i get rid of the gut and get back to being fit.

I know what parts i want on the thing, but im a bit stuck on frame/forks. I've been mainly looking at a soma rush, but am open to other options. what do people think i should get? Im 78ish kg/stomper/180cm rider and i would like something stiff.

Cheers, Asher.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
carlin reminded me about this thread, so i thought id ask here, not just in the fixie thread.

I'm planning on building up a track bike just for a weekly training session and maybe some racing if i get rid of the gut and get back to being fit.

I know what parts i want on the thing, but im a bit stuck on frame/forks. I've been mainly looking at a soma rush, but am open to other options. what do people think i should get? Im 78ish kg/stomper/180cm rider and i would like something stiff.

Cheers, Asher.
Another vote for the Avanti Pista. I picked mine up as frame only and built from there. Bought a no-name carbon straight blade fork with alloy steerer, Mavic Ellipse wheelset, Sugino 75s, Blackspire Track chainring, Deda Pista bars and stem, Thomson post, Specialized Toupe saddle.. result being a light a stiff bike.

I race mine in Alice Springs/Hobart and it is a great bike.

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
I'm 190cm 80kg and I'm on a Felt TK2. I find the frame plenty stiff, handles nicely and seems well put together for the price. Mine was an eBay purchase.

I do like the idea of bulding one up from scratch; bdstorer's bike sounds like a nice build.

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Hey Dr Rob,

What's the track scene like for Novacastrians? I wouldn't mind chasing a derny around on training nights, if its available.

b

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
Hey Dr Rob,

What's the track scene like for Novacastrians? I wouldn't mind chasing a derny around on training nights, if its available.

b
We ride on the Broadmeadow track. It's 200m, outdoor, concrete, and somewhat bumpy in places. Training is all year on Tuesday nights at 6pm (there are even hire bikes), costs $5 (more with bike hire). Racing over summer is on Wed nights at 7.30pm, costs $8.

I have only recently started riding, and there has been a derny (ok, Postie) bike there from time to time, but it doesn't seem to be a regular thing.

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
Yeah sorry should have mentioned that. This week the breakdown was roughly:
A Grade: 8
B Grade: 10
C Grade (me): 12
D Grade: 12

There is a mix of events - scratch (15-20 laps), handicap wheelrace, 4-lap derny's (heats and finals). There is talk of things like miss-and-out, and other events.

I'm not there for the next 3 weeks, with work commitments, but will be back there closer to Christmas.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
6 day racing comes to Sydney

Hey guys and Gals

The Sydney Christmas Carnivals are on again.
• This time entries will be via CNSW Website.
• There are 5 events in the series.
• Prizes and money will be on the series only.
• $25 per event
• $100 for the series.

Program
• Rnd 1 Warm up scratch race (W-R Qualifier)
• Rnd 2 Wheel – Race
• Rnd 3 Sprint Event
• Rnd 4 Endurance Race
• Rnd 5 Group handicaps and Div 1 Madison

The Schedule
• Tuesday 29th Dec 2009 @ DGV ..... ran by BSCC
• Wednesday 30th Dec 2009 @ Hurstville....... ran by St George
New Year’s Eve ......off
• Friday 1st Jan 2010 @ Lidcombe.... ran by LACC
• Saturday 2nd Jan 2010 @ Tempe...... ran by DHBC
• Sunday 3rd Jan 2010 @ DGV........ran by RAW

If it rains we go to the DGV .... guaranteed racing

The above carnivals will start at 6:30pm and are open to U17's up.
The Junior Christmas Carnivals will be run by the respective organising clubs and should start at about 3:30pm they will be:
• Tuesday 29th Dec 2009 DGV.....Bankstown
• Wednesday 30th Dec 2009 Hurstville.......St George
• Friday 1st Jan 2010 Lidcombe ..........LACC

For more info see here

Last edited:

orphic

Likes Bikes
Been looking forward to this since RAW finished up. I am personally looking forward to finally racing on my home ground of Tempe ;)

D.bialp

Cannon Fodder
I absolutely LOVE being on the track. Ive taken several drivers education seminars and have done about 6 track days. It is SOO much fun. Anyone have any track time?

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Bicycle superstore Geelong just got me hooked on Track! Just got and Apollo Record 2009 to ride. Brilliant bike!
Coming from a mountain bike was hard to get used to the black top but i'm enjoying it! Also i'm only 15 so i'm sure i'll be racing for years:D
Big shout to Bicycle superstore in geelong for suporting me. They have to be the 'Fixie' experts in the geelong region. Go check them out and even creat your dream fixie build!

Apollo Record frame
Carbon Apollo fork
Diateck Dirt harry brake
Truvativ Ominum Cranks
Mavic c23 rims laced to formula high flange hubs
Prologo Saddle.

Attachments