The Tyre Pressure Thread

What Pressure do you run in your Tyres, if different F - R please list the higher

• < 15psi

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 15-18psi

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 19-24psi

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • 25-28psi

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • 29-32psi

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • 33-36psi

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • 36-39psi

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • > 40psi

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Tubes

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Tubeless

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Thread dig. Wanting to put my pressure questions somewhere.

Seems like some people run less than 30psi! Who knew!

Found an interesting site with EWS and DH rider pressures. https://www.perpetualdisappointment...enduro-and-world-cup-downhill-riders-use/amp/

(NB. Ratio wise they should definitely have added a nominal bike weight to the rider weight. Because the women’s numbers especially are thrown out by that omission)

Of course I’m not comparing myself to Rude, Brosnan, Hill, Cordurier, etc…But still interesting to look at differences.

Thinking I need to be less precious about my rims and drop my pressures a couple of psi to see what happens.

Currently 85kg + 15kg bike, with around 30psi in Hutchinson griffus 2.5F/2.4R tyres.

EWS ratios from that article would have me at 26psi/29psi f/r. So if that’s good enough for the pros, I could do less… right? Except for picking much much shittier lines. And I don’t run inserts.

I know I’m totally overthinking something super basic. But that’s what post work beers are for right?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I run around 26psi front, 28-29psi rear.

Currently with WTB Vigilante 2.5 ~1200g front and a WTB Trail Boss 2.4 ~1150g

Riding weight around 114kg (includes 2l of water in camelbak).

Probably don't change rear pressures much at all, but front might change a psi or two up or down depending on ground conditions at my local (You Yangs).

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
26kg ebike 24-25F, 27-28R
15kg endurbro 20-21F, 24-25R

2.5 Exo+ MaxTerra Assegai front, and 2.4 DD MaxTerra DHR-II with Rimpact insert on both. I weigh 76kg.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
May be a bit roadie-biased, but seems to track pretty well across the spectrum is the theory of 15% squish factor. Inflate the tyre and measure the profile depth from the edge of the rim sidewall to the top of the tyre, unweighted. Get on the bike, with normal riding stuff, and get an assistant to measure the tyre squish (rim edge to ground). Adjust pressure so it's 85% (-15%) of the unloaded profile.