The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
The Rotec above is in my shed.

Along with an STS LTS, LOBO STS frames x2, Yuri Minki and an Orange Patriot.

heavyp- Sent you a msg, I need those 151s! Hit me up, see what we can work out.

shhhteve

Likes Dirt
so cool....

i wouldnt know where to start buying a vintage bike (plus i dont have enough room to store one)

im glad someone got it

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
At what age is a MTB considered vintage rather than just younger than my children?

Sent from my HTC_V1 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
At what age is a MTB considered vintage rather than just younger than my children?

Sent from my HTC_V1 using Tapatalk
1997 is the cut off on Retrobike...here it seems a bit later generally. Much like how we call our aunties 1960's dining table an antique, while the poms shun it unless King Charles 1 personally used it.

jbg

Likes Dirt
j5ive that Rotec looks pretty good for $500 good to see a rotorburner gave it a good home ;)

I knew a guy how had one of the 1st Rotec's (Eric Carter model) with white bros forks hayes xtr
Was about $6k for the frame, forks were over $3k Deemax $2.5k & total build was around $14k

My Cannondale super v 4000 had a retail price of $9990.00 Proper DH bikes were crazy $$ in the late 90's
Hell of a lot easier to get a really good DH bike these days

BTW any of you guys have a set of decent Judy DH forks for sale? looking for good nic complete with dust boots

j5ive

Super v 4000 is on my hotlist. Loved them. Rotec is gunna need a heck of a lot of work. Anyone remember if this or the yellow/red/black fade was the newer or older model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbg

Likes Dirt
Tri colour was the first production model followed by the one you have. after that the changed the frame a bit

floody

Wheel size expert
Seriously ? bikes were that expensive over here then ? $3999 was max back in the uk
In the late '90s £4k would have very nearly been $10-12k AUD.

Yep, $18,500 for the Rotec as a complete. I can't imagine many came in that year.

The Shaun Palmer Replica FSR (the black/mango one) was $13,500.

j5ive

So it would date 99/00?

Got a pair of 2001 White bro DH3 I'm thinking will suit better. And I have other uses for the boxxer.

heavyp

You heard it here first
So it would date 99/00?

Got a pair of 2001 White bro DH3 I'm thinking will suit better. And I have other uses for the boxxer.
Ill give ya $501 for the Rotec ? Where did you message me mate on here or retrobike or pinkbike ? the 151's are in the UK and my inbox fills every day, postage to oz would cost a shit load.

Ps: What else are you hiding in your shed ?

You could try do a better build than this to it, thats if you don't sell it to me.
p5pb10051588.jpg
p4pb10051585.jpg

Last edited:

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Super v 4000 is on my hotlist. Loved them. Rotec is gunna need a heck of a lot of work. Anyone remember if this or the yellow/red/black fade was the newer or older model?

oh really?

pop in and gaze at her if you like. NO TOUCHING! damn kids

20140627_185617.jpg

jbg

Likes Dirt
So it would date 99/00?

yea that's right 99/00
White Bros 3 would be nice (purple or red?) 2's would even be better as they ran them on the team bikes + they look moto!
they do have to be in pretty good nic though to be worth swapping out the 151's
What else do you need to fix on it?

oh really?

pop in and gaze at her if you like. NO TOUCHING! damn kids

View attachment 293524
Hey Misplaced the Super V looks great!! good to see my old rig has gone to a good home & is still there.
How's it getting along, take it out on the trails much?

heavyp

You heard it here first
I know it was a girls bike but maybe replicate this one Lisa Sher's from 98 Im pretty sure
Rotec-lisa-sher-1998-.jpeg.jpg

Also if that superv 4000 comes up for sale ever please get on contact my ultimate dream bike

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Hey Misplaced the Super V looks great!! good to see my old rig has gone to a good home & is still there.
How's it getting along, take it out on the trails much?
Well jbg, she's more of a museum piece, I couldnt go ride her in anger. I did get new seals in the shock and fork though (mission), that wa a mission. When the day is right ( Retro DH race anyone) I'll think about riding her but only after 6 layers of 3m tape!

She has good company though here at the Studio...
photo1 (3).jpg

Heavyp, pop in anytime

j5ive

Purple dh3. But would polish them out. Conditon is pretty awesome compared to the 151 on there. And they look so moto with the external res. bike needs a full redo. Will be long term project but at lease it's all there.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Purple dh3. But would polish them out. Conditon is pretty awesome compared to the 151 on there. And they look so moto with the external res. bike needs a full redo. Will be long term project but at lease it's all there.

As mentioned ill take it off ya hands for $501 ? haha

Ivan

Eats Squid
The manitou FS is my favorite retro bike. I've only ever seen one in the flesh , and that was brand new for sale in a bike shop back in the 90's

j5ive

One came in the back of shitty farmers ute one day for repair. He decided not to fix it up but would not sell it to me no matter what I threw out. Bit before my day but I'd love something early in my collection.