The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

donny70

Likes Dirt

Trying new tyres, took off the smokes as they will go on to a period correct Foes LTS frame. When I find one ha ha :)

7 speed shifters, cassette and flite saddle on the way plus I've organized new control tech decal for the seat post. Might stick some Hope mono's on too...

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Be more at the $500 end in Australia, sadly. I paid $150 for a lightly used STS-DH frameset a while ago.

I'm trying to build it up right now and am very jealous because I can't find the Formula brakes or M121 Mavic rims ANYWHERE. If you do decide you want to sell please contact me first.

(Not my place, was scabbing some workstand time at a mate's shop A/H)

Last edited:

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Super-cool Donny. Love the ol' Weasel. Just make sure you 'turn that frown upside down' when you set up the cockpit. ;)

I remember reading an article in an old MBA (circa '93, thinkI still have the issue) with a 'spy pic' of Brent Foes out on the trail with the proto LTS. It had 6" of rear travel (as per the production models) and a 2" Mag 21 on it... Fork options were somewhat 'limited' back then... :eek:hwell:

donny70

Likes Dirt
Super-cool Donny. Love the ol' Weasel. Just make sure you 'turn that frown upside down' when you set up the cockpit. ;)

I remember reading an article in an old MBA (circa '93, thinkI still have the issue) with a 'spy pic' of Brent Foes out on the trail with the proto LTS. It had 6" of rear travel (as per the production models) and a 2" Mag 21 on it... Fork options were somewhat 'limited' back then... :eek:hwell:
If I could get my hands on an LTS 16 my collection would be complete (lies). I'd probably stick some Z1s on it though to even up the travel, but other than that put the correct bits on...

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
1998 GT Zaskar LE

Just about finished my latest project. A 1998 GT Zaskar LE.

Here are a couple of shots from my phone. Weights in at 10.6 kg with pedals, will try and shed 600 grams and see if we can get it sub 10k. (Carbon post and some foam grips should go close). Will take some better pics when it's 100% done. Frame was polished by Mr Sparkles, best 90 bucks I have spent, wheels by Dan at Shifter bikes and the build was done by Paul at Astroboyracer in Collingwood.

Lots of XTR M950, Hope Ti-Glide hubs (NOS) laced to (NOS) Mavic rims, Judy XC (NOS) and rebuilt, KORE stem, Azonic bars, some newer raceface turbine chainrings mounted to a Middleburn XTR spider. Hope headset, Decals are based of the 94 issue, for me they are the classic and so much better then the correct 98 ones.

I am stoked with where it's at. Been for a couple of rides and it's so sweet. Hope you guys like.

15471164296_b6e9846a09_b.jpg

15307629228_4783079869_b.jpg

15471143676_2052708d38_b.jpg

15471131836_e819d2ef90_b.jpg

stoo

Likes Dirt
Yesterday was the maiden voyage of my latest project, a 1995 AMP Research B4.
Couldn't get the AMP cable over hydraulic disc brakes to work to a standard that felt any good so I replaced them with bb7's and a more modern wheel set.
The thing is a rocket and would have been a weapon back in its day.
Nice one Benny! If only we had the brass for such a machine in 1995, I was on S/H low-level GTs or maybe a wholesale Avanti......
Girder forks were bonza too.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Saw someone riding through Milton last week on a very tidy old Spec FSR Stumpy (I think, I wasn't really close enough to see properly). Looked great, wonder if it was a burner?

donny70

Likes Dirt
Just about finished my latest project. A 1998 GT Zaskar LE.

Here are a couple of shots from my phone. Weights in at 10.6 kg with pedals, will try and shed 600 grams and see if we can get it sub 10k. (Carbon post and some foam grips should go close). Will take some better pics when it's 100% done. Frame was polished by Mr Sparkles, best 90 bucks I have spent, wheels by Dan at Shifter bikes and the build was done by Paul at Astroboyracer in Collingwood.

Lots of XTR M950, Hope Ti-Glide hubs (NOS) laced to (NOS) Mavic rims, Judy XC (NOS) and rebuilt, KORE stem, Azonic bars, some newer raceface turbine chainrings mounted to a Middleburn XTR spider. Hope headset, Decals are based of the 94 issue, for me they are the classic and so much better then the correct 98 ones.

I am stoked with where it's at. Been for a couple of rides and it's so sweet. Hope you guys like.

View attachment 300256

View attachment 300257

View attachment 300258

View attachment 300259
That is frikkin tidy. Mmmmmm

kand

Likes Dirt
Yesterday was the maiden voyage of my latest project, a 1995 AMP Research B4.
Couldn't get the AMP cable over hydraulic disc brakes to work to a standard that felt any good so I replaced them with bb7's and a more modern wheel set.
The thing is a rocket and would have been a weapon back in its day.

very nice.

Did you need to do any work to the shock?

Mammy

Likes Dirt
I'm rebuilding my San An for trail riding, replaced the Boxxers with White Bros and Cook E cranks will go in place of the MRP/RaceFace drivetrain.

Any thoughts as to whether to go disc brakes or Magura HS22s?

Attachments

donny70

Likes Dirt
You'll need an adapter for the rear if you go disk. Hs22s are a fantastic brake still, I have them on 2 of my rides :)

Nice Sannie btw.

kand

Likes Dirt
I'm rebuilding my San An for trail riding, replaced the Boxxers with White Bros and Cook E cranks will go in place of the MRP/RaceFace drivetrain.

Any thoughts as to whether to go disc brakes or Magura HS22s?

Depends on how fast you want to stop. Having had Maguras forever and loving them I haven't looked back since going disk.....