The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

floody

Wheel size expert
My second 93 Cannondale M1000.
Very nice!

I'm thinking lightweight single-speed, no suspension v-brake mountain bike - or failing that, a commuter if it's too difficult for a fat old bloke to ride in the hills.
With all due respect, honestly, I don't get this. Instead of buying a nice, seemingly fairly original old mountain bike and "thinking lightweight single-speed, no suspension v-brake mountain bike", why not just think "put a rear brake on it and ride it"? It is what it is and looks like it could be out and about on the trails and paths with just a little parts scrounging.

Is it still Suntour XC Comp? That's cool!

Probably easier to use that Syncros stem's noodle and bypass all the Force 40 bullsh#t with a regular straddle cable though.

Last edited:

Mr Bungle

Likes Bikes
Reading through this thread made me wish I hadn't sold my 2000 Specialized Enduro....and now I'm thinking I'll find an old bike or frame and rebuild it.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
This bike saw 4 seasons of racing with the FTF club in Melbourne in the mid nineties as well as various national and state rounds. The frame, mechs, front wheel and crankset are original, the Judy XC was an upgrade at the time of purchase, whilst the XTR v-brakes, XT shifter/brake levers and rear wheel are upgrades 'from the era'. Everything else much more recent.

Drivetrain working remarkably well however the front forks have some serious flex happening (I may swap over to a rigid fork). Also quite a task getting used to the geo - long and low slung with 12cm seat - bar drop in it's original form. That said, I can't remember complaining at the time!

Weighs in at 11.3kg.View attachment 308709
Nice.

My girlfriend gave me one of these years ago - it was her grandfather's once upon a time who purchased it in the mid 90's but his health deteriorated and it hung in her garage ever since pretty much disused.

Tyres had since perished and I updated a few of the components (saddle, levers, stem) Other than the bar ends, pretty much how it rolled out of the shop! Still using original chain and cables - the bike appeared to have been covered in some sort of wax / oil that preserved it.

The ride is exactly as you say; long and low.

ATX-1_zpsqbc9euci.jpg

My other ride just celebrated her 12 birthday - 2003 Giant NRS-2. Purchased from a fellow Farkin forum member many moons ago, it's been my faithful steed ever since (though it is without a single original component). I was recently given a carbon c.2005 NRS frameset from a friend that I've since built up from the red alloy one. It's a size smaller which I'm still getting used to but it feels stiffer than the alloy frame and takes advantage of the updated rear triangle, carbon rocker arms and an internal headset. Still 10 years old tho...

nrs-1_zps0xd76sqx.jpg

nrs-2_zpsg5ewfqqj.jpg

EMF

Eats Squid
Ground control

Looks close to factory original spec 1998
grabber green

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid

A mate was given for free as the owner was going to throw out

Looks close to factory original spec 1998
grabber green
Not bad for tax free
Bargain - if it is a large and your mate wants to sell give me a yell. From memory that model should be Avid brakes, XT shifter and derailleur, otherwise looks spot on.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
My first proper bike back in like 94 was a Wildwood! Looks in great condition.
nice...:) i still have an ascent 3.0 (one of the early duallies in the garage, still pretty close to original)

this wildwood is a brand new 18 old bike....the thing is MINT! looks like its the first time its been assembled :p

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think I didn't post these... we had a little ride a bit ago.

\
someone didn't know it was a show and shine :)

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah all but my bike, It was my daily rider till recently.

The blue estay bike is Mur..Muz...mutz...? some NZ brand.

John U

MTB Precision
I think I didn't post these... we had a little ride a bit ago.

\
someone didn't know it was a show and shine :)
My brother rode his Zaskar, the same as this one but with Zocchi forks, on the Buller Epic last year. Quite a good effort I thought.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
yeah all but my bike, It was my daily rider till recently.

The blue estay bike is Mur..Muz...mutz...? some NZ brand.
looks like a knock off from Alpine Stars!
i had a similar one ,but it was called Bachini ElGrande.... it climbed quite well, but ugly as a hat full - red and yellow splatter paint to boot