The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

mtb1611

Seymour
A mate has this Mongoose VRS 5.0 in his garage. Purchased new in '97 for $4000, hasn't been ridden for years.

IMG_0871.jpg

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
A mate has this Mongoose VRS 5.0 in his garage. Purchased new in '97 for $4000, hasn't been ridden for years.

View attachment 325148
they weren't a bad bike, i used to race DH on one - but i had RST Hi '5 on the front
make sure you check the first welded join after chainstay yoke just behind the BB, it was prone to cracking and snapping..they did eventually issue a recall on them and reinforced it..i snapped 2 of them!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
missed the Melbourne retro swap-meet in February so thought I would clear some space in the garage and list some stuff on ebay-http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/deadbeattiki/m.html?item=172174839094&lgeo=1&vectorid=229515&rmvSB=true&ul_noapp=true&ul_ref=http:%20rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?ff3=2&toolid=10044&campid=5337460211&customid=awapiresults&lgeo=1&vectorid=229515&item=172174839094&srcrot=705-53470-19255-0&rvr_id=1020735709069&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562&rmvSB=true

might be some stuff of interest for the retro nuts on here.......
Need a better link.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Had this Bianchi Peregrine come through the shop for a service today. It'd been sitting idle in the owner's shed for 20 years. Came up great with a good clean. Deore LX throughout and Tange frame and fork.

13147860_988692497889468_8669291796054082113_o.jpg

cragv

Squid
My Giant ATX 870 - retired from service around the turn of the century but recently pulled out of storage again, after moving with it no less than 11 times in between! Hadn't taken a tool to it nor cleaned it in this photo - this is how it emerged from The Shed...

JXmOOXm.jpg

It's a 1997 model that I bought new in 1998 and subsequently put a bit over 10,000km on it. Max speed ever achieved on this frame was 92.5km/h coming down the hill on Shepherd's Ln in Coffs Harbour, back when it was all banana plantations and there were maybe 5 houses there on that entire side of the hill! Of course, everything's changed there now and you'd be lucky to break 50 anywhere in the area.

I need to get those Judy T2s fixed or replaced but otherwise everything is (was) in good working order - I think!!

utedeej

Cannon Fodder
Finally put together my Diamond Back Apex. Been sitting on this frame and XT group set for a couple of years. Great for riding fire trails and smooth single-track, but a bit rough on the wrists with the shaly/rocky stuff near me.

She's running full 8speed XT group set which shifts so well - I'd forgotten how good it goes. Will keep a quite lookout for an appropriate XT seat post and headset. Will also sort out the seat QR/collar. The QR at the moment is rubbish.

Now I've got to get on to finishing the 1989 Rockhopper Comp that is in the shed. I've also decided that I've got to find the one bike that I always lusted after - a 1989 Nishiki Alien - have never ridden one, but I remember the first time I saw it in MBA.

Also found this old scan of the Axis.

asa572

Likes Dirt
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago.
Bike is as it was purchased.
Bike was bought and left in a shed by the original owner.
Person I bought it from was renovating the original owner house and was asked if he could get rid of all the bikes in the shed (barn).
His crew cleaned it out and threw all the bikes in the back of the truck to take to the scrap yard.
He noticed the seat stay and said to his boys to get it out and he will have it.
He had it 4 years, didn't ride it and threw it on gumtree to sell.
Only thing that was wrong with it was the the left rear cantilever was seized.
Fixed that, put air in the tyres and it was rideable.
Looks like it has barely been ridden.
Tyres still have nipples on them.
All the marks on it are from things being lent on it and such.