The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

1995 KHS Montana Pro
Bit of a throw together from spare part boxes. Far from a catalogue build. Mostly xt m737 with the exception of hubs, cranks and shifters . Weighing 12kg and one of my favs from my collection .

Attachments

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dilemmas. Which one to keep, assuming S-1 is perilously close.

Apollo Everest e-stay circa 1990. Deore LX running gear.

or Diamond Back Ascent, circa 1993 with full STX running gear and Manitou 2 forks. Forks in need of new elastomers.
Pic pending, seems I didn't take any yet.

or put the Manitou fork on the Everest? I had planned on the Everest as a pub/kiddie ride/camping trip bike in near original form, but then I stumbled across the Ascent a few days ago and couldn't resist it because of the forks. I like the look of the Manitou fork but not sure if it will add to the risk of theft given the bike will be out in the open a bit. I like the idea of a reasonable quality bike that doesn't really look like one. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
or put the Manitou fork on the Everest? I had planned on the Everest as a pub/kiddie ride/camping trip bike in near original form, but then I stumbled across the Ascent a few days ago and couldn't resist it because of the forks. I like the look of the Manitou fork but not sure if it will add to the risk of theft given the bike will be out in the open a bit. I like the idea of a reasonable quality bike that doesn't really look like one. Thoughts?
I kind of like the look of the E-stayed Apollo unmolested.

I think you are wise though not to have vintage pr0n on a pub bike. If it is being left outside then maybe even remove the QR's and use bolts so the seatpost and wheels are harder to be flogged by lowlifes that I see have done the same to many chained to a post city bikes.

I have some Manitou 1's here that I am redecorating and was going to put them on the Timberline. I think I'll leave it in all of its hard arsed plain gauge cro-mo frame and fork glory and use the M1's on another bike.

Any photos of the Ascent? Some of the early Diamond Backs were pretty tasty.

notime

Likes Dirt
My first MTB was the Purple alloy version of the Everest, It cracked so many times where the estays met the ST, I had to gusset it all up. Also fractures on the head tube. I still have all the components in storage if I ever find another or a Large Everest frame.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
My first MTB was the Purple alloy version of the Everest, It cracked so many times where the estays met the ST, I had to gusset it all up. Also fractures on the head tube. I still have all the components in storage if I ever find another or a Large Everest frame.
Cracks were always a problem with the e-stay design I think. The Alpinestar's made alloy and cro-mo models of their classic E-stay and the Cro-mo sure had better longevity.

This is great example in all of it retro goodness.

2009_0603astars0005.jpg

Dodsun also made a E-Stay too.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Diamond back. Group set dates as 1993.

Manitou forks. I assume by the big 2 they are a manitou 2 fork? Mismatched rims mean it might have been an accident upgrade.

The GT I found kerbside has these white industries cranks on it. Would these be worth hanging on to? I'm not up on retro part values, but recall white inustries being a good alternative to the big brands.

I also have this old Gemini Elevation. Not of high value I guess, but if anyone is interest in a full Exage Mountain group pm's accepted!

Exage mtn

Exage.

Edit: these three and the Everest above only owe me $55 and a little fuel money.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The Diamond Back looks great. Keep it as is - looks pretty period specific already.

Give it a good clean and buff with Autosol. The M2's must have some melted elastomers by the ride height. Easy to strip down. I think you will need new elastomers at least.

White Industry cranks look right at home.

Give it some special loving only a man with a shed and a vintage MTB can do. Hubba hubba..

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Of course the reflectors will go!

Until three days ago I had an Apollo Everest stripped down ready for cleaning and rebuilding. Then council cleanup scored the GT with white ind cranks and found the DB on gumtree because of the forks.

I did pop the GT on gumtree for an easy flip, but have pulled it for now pending wether I pull the cranks off it first.

I don't really want to keep the three as I won't ride them enough. One more is plenty.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Of course the reflectors will go!

Until three days ago I had an Apollo Everest stripped down ready for cleaning and rebuilding. Then council cleanup scored the GT with white ind cranks and found the DB on gumtree because of the forks.

I did pop the GT on gumtree for an easy flip, but have pulled it for now pending wether I pull the cranks off it first.

I don't really want to keep the three as I won't ride them enough. One more is plenty.
Holy duck snapping arseholes...those White Industries crank could be worth more than the rest of the bike. Check behind them to see if you have the WI bottom bracket as well. It could be a titanium axle...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
You have plenty to keep busy.

Is the GT an early 90's Karakoram in purple haze or Tequila Sunrise by any chance?

Build up your favourite and sell the rest. I think the Diamond Back will come up nice and doesn't look to be a dunger.

You can't have too many vintage MTB's.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GT is an aggressor. Nice purple colour, but 'only' running a mix of Altus and STX gear and RST forks. Solid, but not flash. Though I had posted a pic, but here 'tis.

I do like the GT triple triangle frames, but this one will need to go. I'll swap out the cranks after what SBD mentioned a couple of posts ago. Again, pm's welcome for offers, swaps etc.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plan B.
Pull the White Ind cranks off the GT and put them on my Trek Y-11 and keep it SS. Take the modern SLX hollowtech cranks off the Trek and put them on my sons Norco to drop some more weight, put the cranks off the Norco onto the GT and sell it.
Rebuild the Apollo e-stay as original.
Tidy up the Diamondback, rebuild the shocks an keep it.
End up with two retro knock around bikes, not one.
Maybe sell my wife's bike and she can ride the Diamondback. Girls like diamonds don't they?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a 1994 db ascent, obv aftermarket forks. I'd keep the retros as stock as possible myself, the way they ride as interested ded is part of the appeal to me, contrasted against modern uber bikes.

I'd fix up the forks, ditch the bottle cage, add some skinwall tyres and burn myself riding into the sunset.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Holy duck snapping arseholes...those White Industries crank could be worth more than the rest of the bike. Check behind them to see if you have the WI bottom bracket as well. It could be a titanium axle...
Agreed, the White Industries bling is a good bonus here. They still seem to be making bike bits in the US http://www.whiteind.com/ which would make the Trumpster prouder than Uncle Sam eating hot apple pie and clam chowder on Independance Day in DC.