The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
This is a Raleigh I restored for a friend a while back:

He'd owned it since new & left it to deteriorate. I was able to get it back to this state.

MARKL

Eats Squid
My first mountain bike was a 1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control Comp...loved it rode it everywhere from the local trails in Castle Hill, then onto The Oakes, Anderson's and other trails in the mountains, downhill at Lithgow, Oxy and even Thredbo. Over time it got every mod known to man...BETD linkage kit, v-brakes replaced by Magura Gustav M (boiled on the decent at Anderson's - they were never the same after that) then a set of Hope Mono Mini all supported on that stupid disc brake adaptor Spesh came up with. SRAM 9 speed made it's way on board along with a set of Truvative cranks that had the self extracting trick down pat. When I bought it the forks had already been upgraded to 125mm of the finest spring and elastomer boingy bits that RST could bolt together in a double triple clamp, these were twisted multiple times and eventually made way for a set of Boxxer 151 WC, these were eventually replaced with old school Pike's and the bike was perfect in my eyes... a XC bike with shit geometry, heavy and flexy...soendurobro#

Then it got nicked and I was heart broken, I loved that bike. A succession of better bikes replaced it in the garage, bikes that only had to do XC or DH or soendurobro# even a fat bike...but I always do that search on fleabay or scumtree in the hope that my old FSR will turn up...which it never has. Sometimes I see a similar bike for sale but it normally, wrong size, crap condition and somewhere usefully further away than I go on my holidays. Anyhow last night I saw this on Scumtree and had to have it...

The chick laughed at me that I looked so happy picking it up (photo from the ad - will clean it up over the weekend and take a better photo)

$_74.JPG

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread has come alive! Loving that Axis up top.

If anyone sees same year FSR Extreme (98) give me a shout, am trying to bring a friend's back to life.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
My 1996 Yo Eddy. found the frame in Tassie, had most of teh bits lying about and got a few Fat Chance specific items like the 29.4 seatpost online. Built up by Steve White at Whites bikes. Paint is original.

_DSC5000.jpg

_DSC4962.jpg

_DSC4976.jpg

_DSC4985.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
My 1996 Yo Eddy. found the frame in Tassie, had most of teh bits lying about and got a few Fat Chance specific items like the 29.4 seatpost online. Built up by Steve White at Whites bikes. Paint is original.
This is just the schnizz. Beautiful.
Don't leave it out of your sight or chain it to body part just in case :spy:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't believe i got all sold without me knowing, knew the old owner and the new owner (was all jealous it got sold), then next thing I know it's sold again! I so would have bought it...oh well probably all for the best.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found a Diamond Back Cairns UCI World Cup Edition on kerbside clean-up (thankyou falling scrap prices). I know it's not a flash bike given it's only Alivio/Acera/STX running gear. It's also a bit small for me.

1) Does anyone know what sort of saddle these things had?
2) Did anyone here cut their teeth on one and is looking for a trip down memory lane for the cost of postage?

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Gota move fast these days, Glad Simon needed to move it. The first original owner has quiet a stash from what I am led to believe.

Can't believe i got all sold without me knowing, knew the old owner and the new owner (was all jealous it got sold), then next thing I know it's sold again! I so would have bought it...oh well probably all for the best.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found a Diamond Back Cairns UCI World Cup Edition on kerbside clean-up (thankyou falling scrap prices). I know it's not a flash bike given it's only Alivio/Acera/STX running gear. It's also a bit small for me.

1) Does anyone know what sort of saddle these things had?
2) Did anyone here cut their teeth on one and is looking for a trip down memory lane for the cost of postage?
Hey mate,
I've no hard evidence, but consensus was 'Cairns' model was a restickered Topanga to commemorate the 96 world cup there. Checking the stickers on the seat tube to ID the steel used might help confirm that.

But if so a 96 topanga spec is prob you best bet, from bikepedia (http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=1996&brand=Diamondback&model=Topanga):

Seatpost Lee Chi SP-204 alloy, 25.8 mm diameter
Saddle Selle San Marco Linea Pro

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate,
I've no hard evidence, but consensus was 'Cairns' model was a restickered Topanga to commemorate the 96 world cup there. Checking the stickers on the seat tube to ID the steel used might help confirm that.

But if so a 96 topanga spec is prob you best bet, from bikepedia (http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=1996&brand=Diamondback&model=Topanga):

Seatpost Lee Chi SP-204 alloy, 25.8 mm diameter
Saddle Selle San Marco Linea Pro
Cool, thanks. I hadn't found anything else. I think my google-fu might have been on the blink.

nakedape

Likes Dirt

This may not belong here anymore given that its frankenbike status - but I thought there might be someone who'd appreciate the trip down memory lane

Sent from two tin cans joined by string