The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
GT is an aggressor. Nice purple colour, but 'only' running a mix of Altus and STX gear and RST forks. Solid, but not flash. Though I had posted a pic, but here 'tis.

I do like the GT triple triangle frames, but this one will need to go. I'll swap out the cranks after what SBD mentioned a couple of posts ago. Again, pm's welcome for offers, swaps etc.
The Aggressor looks fine too. You have some good choices to make :) I'm a bit of GT fanboi and loved their upswing period. The Triple Triangle always stood out and we can make up 33% more rigid to justify our purchases. The RST forks might also need a bit of shed loving time too.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Plan B.
Pull the White Ind cranks off the GT and put them on my Trek Y-11 and keep it SS. Take the modern SLX hollowtech cranks off the Trek and put them on my sons Norco to drop some more weight, put the cranks off the Norco onto the GT and sell it.
Rebuild the Apollo e-stay as original.
Tidy up the Diamondback, rebuild the shocks an keep it.
End up with two retro knock around bikes, not one.
Maybe sell my wife's bike and she can ride the Diamondback. Girls like diamonds don't they?
Sounds like a plan........

Keep the Gemini as the bike for pubbage.
Keep the Apollo unmolested as-is.
Hooker the White Industries cranks onto your favourite retro steed.
Clean up the GT.

Put them in a line and keep your favourites. Could even flog off the Gemini and keep the GT for tanked night rides home from the local watering hole.

Hmmm, too much to think about after swapping parts is included in the mix :faint2:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From memory, you know going back to 1997 or whenever those cranks are dated, there were a few spec versions of WI gear incl cranks that looked really similar to each other. Something like one was made by Sugino (budget version), another the upspec version was forged & made in US, I can't quite remember. The lower end ones were no more exxy than shimano equivalent, from memory.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a 1994 db ascent, obv aftermarket forks. I'd keep the retros as stock as possible myself, the way they ride as interested ded is part of the appeal to me, contrasted against modern uber bikes.

I'd fix up the forks, ditch the bottle cage, add some skinwall tyres and burn myself riding into the sunset.
It's lucky I haven't got to that yet. Recipe for over the bars as the brakes are Euro style, front on left. Looking for skinwall tyres now.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Looking for skinwall tyres now.
How about a skinwall Smoke re-issue .I think you can also get the Dart's but those front tyres scared me.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/panaracer-smoke-xc-skinwall-2%2C1-folding-126tpi-66167?currency=5&delivery_country=13

A Ritchey Z-Max is a solid retro front tyre choice too. They work pretty well and last forever. Can be had for reasonable prices but aren't skinwalls.

https://ritcheylogic.com/z-max-evolution-mountain-tire

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
How about a skinwall Smoke re-issue .I think you can also get the Dart's but those front tyres scared me.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/panaracer-smoke-xc-skinwall-2%2C1-folding-126tpi-66167?currency=5&delivery_country=13

A Ritchey Z-Max is a solid retro front tyre choice too. They work pretty well and last forever. Can be had for reasonable prices but aren't skinwalls.

https://ritcheylogic.com/z-max-evolution-mountain-tire
Steve at Whites bikes in Fitzroy North has the Smoke and Darts in stock, $150 a pair I think. They are the same re issue as bike discount has.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steve at Whites bikes in Fitzroy North has the Smoke and Darts in stock, $150 a pair I think. They are the same re issue as bike discount has.
Id happily spend that on a bling Zaskar or something equally high end, but it would double the cost of what I have and not really increase the value that much.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
but it would double the cost of what I have and not really increase the value that much.
We are all good at that one. My $30 Timberline ended up hitting $200-$300-ish. Hopelessly over capitalised on a ho hum GT but the retro paint makes it worthwhile :) Please agree so I feel better.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We are all good at that one. My $30 Timberline ended up hitting $200-$300-ish. Hopelessly over capitalised on a ho hum GT but the retro paint makes it worthwhile :) Please agree so I feel better.

If it makes you smile, it's a good investment. If it Drops your bank account below what you partner thinks is acceptable, that's another story.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If it makes you smile, it's a good investment. If it Drops your bank account below what you partner thinks is acceptable, that's another story.
Cheaper than drag racing or flying which ia a great explanation that seems to work each time on the lovely Mrs :)

safreek

Super cool oldish bike, can't justify buying it at the moment, even for under $200. If I wasn't so keen on an old hardtail this would be ok. Probably a maintenance nightmare as well
$_20 (38).JPG

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Super cool oldish bike, can't justify buying it at the moment, even for under $200. If I wasn't so keen on an old hardtail this would be ok. Probably a maintenance nightmare as well
The shock/seat tube/down tube looks busy. The forks should make it worthwhile.

LPG

likes thicc birds
View attachment 338678
I imagine that would be strange to ride with a dropper post. The seat would end up in a strange spot but to push it down you would have to kind of butt-thrust forward, like a dog dragging it's shitty butt on your new carpet

safreek

I imagine that would be strange to ride with a dropper post. The seat would end up in a strange spot but to push it down you would have to kind of butt-thrust forward, like a dog dragging it's shitty butt on your new carpet
Yeah, you need lots of skills to ride old bikes. Dropper posts wernt really needed as we had mad ass skills back then.

alrsv1

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Recently restored this 1986 Rockhopper. Was not in a good state and was about to end up in landfill, someone had given it a bad rattlecan paintjob without removing any of the components. Love it when they do that. But it was all there, including full Deer-Head group set, just took a lot of scrubbing.

Before:

After:

emerthis

Likes Dirt
View attachment 338678
I have one of those z1 forks on my old hardtail, if anyone's interested. Not quite vintage yet though, being a 2003 model Da Bomb Molotov. I think the fork is about the same age: 5" single crown, QR coil fork. Heavy AF but plushest thing I've ever ridden.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk