The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Front and rear derailleur, crankset and a 26.6mm seat post is the main stuff really. I've got xt levers/shifters, can make do with the brakes. At the moment I think I only have a DX rear mech and 7speed cassette.

I basically just want this;
View attachment 365995
To become this
View attachment 365996
I can definitely help with a front derailleur, possibly crankset too depending what you're after, and I have piles of brakes. 26.6 is a bit of a tough one tho.

...16" will be too small for me, and if it's a barracuda I think I'd actually want to ride it got me thinking tho, maybe I can trade up that kgs/ironhorse and my little Avanti for something like this

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I clearly posted the monstrosity up in the wrong thread the other day, so here it is again in the right thread.

Fire hose reel stickers are removed, and ive managed to sand off the worst of the corrosion on the alu rear triangle. No sign of a brand under the stickers, but I did find mention of raceline, imported by Apollo on a small sticker

I'm thinking to paint the front triangle red, leave the rear triangle raw, and put it together with some slightly more modern suspension to see how it rides. I'll see what I can do to free up the rear shock too, and see how bad it rides with the original suspension

ausdb

Being who he is
I'm thinking to paint the front triangle red, leave the rear triangle raw, and put it together with some slightly more modern suspension to see how it rides. I'll see what I can do to free up the rear shock too, and see how bad it rides with the original suspension
Horst link 4 bar should ride reasonably well?

Alternately you could do something like this :eek:
Abomination....

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I don't have Facebook so would need to use the missus' and it all just gets too hard. I'd imagine anyone on there would also trawl marketplace so someone might pop up with useful stuff.
It's worth it for the bike groups esp the retros and you don't need to interact at all.

1. Set up Mill.pool.xyz@gmail.com
  2. Set up Mill Poole on Facebook with that email and verify
  3. Join the sales and retro collector groups
  4. Never interact except to list things and say PM first for dibs and PM seller.

I do use Facebook for other things but have got a few friends to go this way, they add no other friends and their timeline consists only of the interest groups they are in and ads which a are easily ignored.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
It's worth it for the bike groups esp the retros and you don't need to interact at all.
That's the only reason I got back on after ditching it for many years. I don't know if it was just the time away from the social media world, or I grew up a bit, but I have no interest in commenting or scrolling through the newsfeed or people's photos anymore, but groups are great for sharing with likeminded people.
I noticed the other day the owner of a local cafe having a full blown argument in the comments with another local that spanned hours, and now I can't look at them the same when I see them down the street.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Taken off the worst of the alu corrosion, I don't think I'll bother polishing it tho, I think that'll need too much work to get rid of the pitting and it doesn't look terrible dulled like it is. Light rub down and a spray with the finest of cheap spraypacks I had on the back of the shelf. Replaced all the rusted bolts and greased all the linkages so they move. Bit of wd40 down the forks and they're actually moving ok, did the same with the shock, but stopped short of putting wheels on.

Not looking half bad, still contemplating using the revs and monarch, but stock has its draw too

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Looks like the raceline Apollo thing has been asked here before