The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

Not that I needed to learn more to know I want one again, but nice to have some info on a company that's been gone for years

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Yeah that website had a lot of useful info when I was researching mine. Mine was one of the less cool frames, think when they were made offshore or something like that.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
@Milpool are these any good to you?
I actually bought a crankset and blew the budget so I'm going to have to pass sorry mate. I'm just holding out for if the M735 pops up locally but I'm hoping it's not for another pay cycle. Thanks though! Just means you need another retro rig for them.

jbg

Likes Dirt
That diamondback will clean up nice! Quadra 10’s still got bounce? Remember ogling over dbr’s at my lbs bitd

safreek

Didn't everybody rave on about these things. Bargain if it's really what he says. And will post as well

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Didn't everybody rave on about these things. Bargain if it's really what he says. And will post as well
Love the look of a big tubed raw alloy polished Zaskar. I don't think there are too many cooler and burlier looking alloy HT's. The earlier US made models (around the 1992 era) are the more sought after ones. I've never had one and any alloy HT I've ridden felt too harsh to me.

You have to know what you are buying though. GT made a load of very similar looking Taiwan made alloy HTs like the Avalanche, Aggressor and Pantera to name a few. Sly gronks have re-stickered and stripped the lesser models as Zaskars to get more $$$.

From memory, the US made Zaskars have flat top tube end caps only - the Taiwan alloy HT are curved. The US zaskars are 6061 (it is stamped on one of the rear dropouts) while the other alloy HTs are 7075 which is also stamped on the dropout. Early Zaskars only had a U Brake mount too.

Those sketchy small but long distance photos in the Gumtree link always make be suspicious. Is it 'that' hard to take a decent photo with any camera these days? ...Gee. The head tube is recessed at the top and bottom, the top tube is hydroformed and can't tell if it gussetted. Looks like it has panniers mounts on the rear stays. It might be fine enough project frame for the right $$$ but not an uber Zaskar model from what I can tell so far.

This the one that the GT aficionado's sell their kidney's and first borns for.
https://veloaficionado.com/blog/1992-gt-zaskar-20-handmade-in-usa-6061-t6-aluminium

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Crap photos, but where are the rear brake mounts? Seems strange.
Yes, look only to have disc mounts and coupled with the hydroforming craze then I'd roll the dice on it being somewhere around 2005-2008.
Not to disrespect the frame though. Would be a great project and should come up nicely stripped of paint and buffed up regardless which model it is.

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
That diamondback will clean up nice! Quadra 10’s still got bounce? Remember ogling over dbr’s at my lbs bitd
She’s seen some action, so will take some work. The gummy bears in the forks are surprisingly still squishy. I was never 100% sure the difference between Quadra 5 or 10.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Quadra 10’s were up to 95 no external adjustment, quadra 5’s were 96 and had compression adjustment dials