The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

donny70

Likes Dirt
'08? So they're about as vintage as this?

He He, easy floody easy...

Just showing bushrangermtb some new forks to collect while pointing out to Arran that there have been advances in engineering that might not have been available to the original designers. Although after 4 sets of bushes he might need some convincing.

I suppose that any interested parties could get some from around 2002 which feature much the same design and engineering if a more vintage option was required.

The fork timeline is below, I think mine are actually 2005 judging by the decals. A full 3 years more vintager than I thoughted...

Last edited:

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These are from 2008. You should see the engineering close up, it's awesome. Plus many awards from European mtb mags are good enough for me. The AMPs however were a different matter, as wobbly as fuck. Tried them once and they didn't inspire confidence...
Haha, i'm well aware of the advancements in engineering in the 15 years between forks... but it still doesn't stop me from getting the heebie jeebies! :D

Your fork is very nice BTW. ;)

bushrangermtb

Likes Bikes
fork advancements

I still ride rigid .....

cause although the bushings in my elbows aren't what they use to be.... I haven't had to replace them and they never need any maintenance. Kind of nice blasting past a 22year old with a $1000 pair of SID teams anyhow.... where the F are they getting the money these days ?

spinner88

Likes Bikes
Happy New Year All.

I finished the Attitude resto yesterday. It's been quite a process... Very happy with the result.

Geat job, that was an awesome bike in it's day, and still looks great today. I'm impressed that you even have a like new pair of Dart & Smoke in the Magic colour! I have a set of these tyres but they are perished and are now ready for the tip. Thanks for sharing. Seeing the old Klein brings back some memories of the good ol days of mtb.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
A lesson in dh

Awesomness

Do yourself a favour and download sprung 4 and 5 after watching this.

Contains skinsuits, drifting, gracia and a young minaar still feeding off his mothers breast.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I recently picked up an older bike and did a search for restoration and cleaning etc but couldn't find much useful information. As most of you deal with 'older' bikes on a regular basis I was wondering if you could possibly share some tips on the best ways to restore frames/components.

I'm mainly interested in ways to remove rust and pitting and restore shine to chrome/silvers parts and of course the frame. I am reluctant to fully repaint the frame as the original decals are still in reasonable condition but I would like to make it sparkle/shine again if its possible.

I was going to make a new thread but thought I would try here first, if I'm in the wrong spot please feel free to direct me elsewhere.

Cheers
I'm no expert but I've restored some car parts in the past. I preferred a silicon bead blast over sand and steel, delivered by pressurized air rather than a wheelabrator. I found that you have a lot more control by varying pressure and delivery of silica beads. I reckon you could even minimise paint loss, but be careful coz rust can run under paint. I haven't tried ultrasonic, might be worth investigating.

floody

Wheel size expert
Theres a wide variety of ways to recondition plated or finished metal parts. Check out some of the old skool BMX forums.

For the frame, IMO the smart money is to take high resolution images of the decals, scale them and reproduce them, and repaint.

BIG RUSTY

Likes Dirt
Sunn radical+

I Just finished building up this project

97 Sunn Radical+ only 300 made and not many made it to OZ
OBSYS shock ( the original BOS shock)

The forks are 2001 Psylo's
and the rest of the parts are 99 and 2000 model stuff.

I would have loved to have sourced original 97 parts and espicially got hold of some OBSYS forks but I had all this stuff in the shed.IMG_2674.jpg

Unfortunately Im going to have to sell it as my wife has given my old bikes there marching orders.
hopefully someone else can get this World Championshiop winning race machine back to its former glory.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
happy...well sort of had an epic battle wirth the lifts to do it, 50 min trip to lobby, then 41 flights of staris :( but got me a brand spanking new vetta sl ti in the post... i know not big news to all, but mad me very happy :)

BIG RUSTY

Likes Dirt
Yes Francois Gachet won World champs and World Cup overall on SUNN as did Nicolas Vouilloz and Anne-caroline Chausson.

Cedric Gracia, Mikael Pascal and Fabien Barel won junior World Champs with SUNN.

check out the 1997 world mountain bike championships on youtube.

SUNN was a powerhouse team in that era.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
don't have to, have my own copy... 1st saw the bike for the 95 worlds (again, bought the video...)

Lorday

Eats Squid
Building up my aquired 1991 Zaskar frame period correct. Pretty much doing it in NOS Deore XT lovelies.
Finding it hard to locate things like GT/AME all terra grips, GT 2x4 forks, GT Flip flop stem, GT Duralumium bars and gave up and bought a Deore xt seat pillar instead of trying to track down a GT/Truetemper post - but if you know of one, I'm keen). If you know the whereabouts of any of that stuff let me know!

Heres some NOS stuff which has arrived:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Bottom one might have carbon swing arm.
Anyone remember a horst link or Faux bar after market kit you could put on those pro flexs with the seat stay(like the bottom one in that pic)? I think it gave more travel maybe(if Horst link).