The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

MARKL

Eats Squid
OH! OH! I have also bought a '98 STS-DH frame, along with its original AC crankset and chainguide. I am super stoked, but now I need to find a functioning Boxxer Pro, Boxxer 151, or Judy DHO for it which will be hard.

:D

Sooo jealous right now...I sold some 151 World Cups a couple of years ago that would have been perfect for that

I was waiting for one of these to come up! One of the guys I rode with in the mid/late '90s had one of these and I remember we all frothed on it. I was riding a Giant Cadex CFM3 at the time. Wish I had more photos!
I was googling pics of these and came across this one (on google images), which then directed me to this site and this old thread. I registered just to access this thread.

This pic looks a lot like my bike (which sadly i dont have anymore :-(((( ) Tomorrow night i will have to dig up my old photos as I took a pic of my bike when it was brand new against a corrogated fence like this.

Man I wish i had kept this bike, the only one i sold!!!

Edit: It didnt pick up the photo, i think it was in post 491

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Top stuff. Looks like it's primed and ready for an M952 crankset?
na its octalink v2, so an xt crank will be going on till i figure out what the end result will be, just a BB I had laying around wanted to check that something would still screw in

floody

Wheel size expert
16, 18, 19 would be my guess. Probably quite similar to LTS sizing if you could track the numbers down.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha, yeah your right 19 probably not 20, according to the 98 catalogue STS DH 14.5, 16, 18, 19, 20. STS Lobo SM, MED, LRG, just the info you don't want

floody

Wheel size expert
There you go! Potentially with neither triple triangle construction nor an LTS rocker pivot in the way, a Lobo could start at smaller sizing, though yeah I think those sizes are correct.
I think a L Lobo is a pretty big rig from memory, at least a 19.

Is that a Team LTS? I had the same one.

They polished up beautifully didn't they?
You know i think it is, the serial number puts the frame at about Dec 94 - so 1995 Team LTS i think.
The memory is not what it used to be but that sounds about right as i am pretty sure i got this late 1995 or maybe early 1996.

Yes, a tube of Autosol goes a long way on these things... cant believe the shine i still get out of it.

Not sure if i'll get around to fixing it up a little, or whether i'll put it up for sale to someone with more time to tinker, (though it'd be like selling a body part after having it for this long...)

donny70

Likes Dirt
I've got the sts 2. What's the diference between it and the DH, was it just the parts??

Love those AC parts too btw.

floody

Wheel size expert
Donny, STS-DH frame geometry is different, closer to STS-DS but much slacker seat angle, shock is longer, thermoplastic seat 'tube' is straighter, seat tube lug and probably BB/pivot lug are different, and max travel closer to 6." Yeah I was stoked that the crank, chainwheel and chainguide were all there and in clean condition. Makes the build a lot simpler. I have a Boxxer (its '00 model so a bit newer but I will refinish the lowers and crowns as per '98-99) on the way from the UK for it now and a set of NOS GT-Hadley CNC hubs coming from the states...The correct red Formula Evoluzione brakes will be the hardest bit.

Southpaw, yours looks USA made, has a ti rocker so has to be either LTS-Team or LTS-1, LTS2 is Taiwan built and has a 3 piece aluminium rocker.

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might as well add to the GT talk..

After 20yrs of always wanting one.. and numerous GT's since i was young both BMX, DH etc
Recently came across locally a nice 94 Zaskar LE frame for peanuts. Still in excellent condition.
Going to just do it up with some classic parts and some new, as a run around and training bike. Once i build it up ill post some pics.

donny70

Likes Dirt
The San Andreas from Ebay arrived last Tuesday. Spent some time putting this thing back together today, and
besides from the cracked MRP nylon roller and disintegrating rubber stops on the Boxxer, this beast is showroom mint.
Not one scratch, scuff or blemish. Even with $900 shipping + custom/quarantine, I consider it a bargain.

You should join the Mountain Cycle fanclub Facebook group too.
Lots of members and info there regarding all mc models.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/mcfanclub/

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I picked this up a short while ago for next to nothing, I originally did so to strip it for correct period parts for my 92 Zaskar LE but I just can't do it.

Not a great looking bike or even a classic but it's in pretty good shape for a 21 year old.

1992 Marin Pine Mountain
92 Marin Pine Mountain.jpg

Terrible that a GT fanatic like me goes and posts up a Marin, so to make up for it here's my parts bin special 99 Zaskar LE. Built up entirely from bits I had lying around.

Zaskar LE 99-1.jpg