The watch thread.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks bud.
Believe it or not, it was my third choice.
Both Seamaster GMTs had just been discontinued so I got the Speedy.

I love it but would possibly swap it for a simple Planet Ocean (no orange bits).
hey.... all the cool kids have PO's... with orange bits.....:behindsofa:

Winno

Likes Dirt
Love those Tissot Heritage Visodate. I only wish they offered a Tissot Heritage Invisodate .... how nice and clean would they look without that big ole date display? Still nice though.

Apparently the work that goes into the heritage style branding on the dial of these models is quite impressive.
Yep. I'd be happy with just the date though. I never liked the Speedy Day/Date for that reason. Minimum 'extra' a watch must have is a date window for me.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Timex?

Hi guys/girls,

You gave me some good advice a while ago, so I'm back.

I just came across the Timex Weekender and feel it's pretty perfect for me as an everyday cheap work watch. I like the simplicity of it, especially the slip through strap and I like the fact that the display isn't spoiled by advertising the fact that it's 'water resistant'.

Before I jump in and buy it are there any other watches similar to this style that I should be looking at first? I definitely would like a NATO style type.

I am thinking of going the olive strapped one however the black on black style is also very appealing.

Cheers everyone.

TIMEX.jpg

Last edited:

Beej1

The Timex looks like a nice looking military style watch.^^

About the only alternative I could think of is the Seiko 5 SNK809. It's a Mechanical watch (as opposed to the Timex, which is Quartz), with a see-through case-back so you can show off it's mechanical awesomeness, and it means you get the proper beating watch sound as opposed to a boring old quartz tick ... tick ... tick.

The day/date is the only turn-off for me here, otherwise it's a very nice intro to mechanical watches and can often be found for <$100 on eBay. Oh and there's different colours too .. blue, green, olive brown from memory.

Seiko+SNK809.jpg

89366d1203439009-fs-seiko-5-mens-military-automatic-watch-snk809-7-5-3-k2-sl270090.jpg

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
^^ The Seiko was one of the other watches I was looking at funnily enough. The day/date was also a bit of a turn off for me too though. But the see through case looks awesome.

The only other thing I really liked about the Timex watch was it's "Indiglo" light - which essentially lights up the whole display when you press down on the winder.

So not knowing much about watches, but I assume Automatic mechanical watches are the self winding watches? Which means no battery? Ever? Quartz on the other hand rely on a battery but are overall much more accurate? That's my understand anyway.

Beej1

So not knowing much about watches, but I assume Automatic mechanical watches are the self winding watches? Which means no battery? Ever? Quartz on the other hand rely on a battery but are overall much more accurate? That's my understand anyway.
Yeah that big cam which takes up half the caseback view is weighted such that it spins about based on watch orientation (i.e. it moves as you move) and is geared to essentially wind the watch for you. So as long as you move reasonably regularly, it will keep time.

How accurate a time it keeps, and how long it can go without movement to re-wind, obviously depends on the quality of the movement/caliber/guts of the watch. From what I've read, the Seiko 5's are quite good for this ... I've read some lose <4sec per day, others around 20 (which isn't great, but for someone like me <5min is fine as I have no time critical deadlines ... ever).

Yeah a Quartz is more accurate, but interestingly less desirable. I guess the craftmanship that goes into a mechanical watch is where the $$$ are.

My plan is to get the slightly larger SNKH63, but put the SNK809 dial in it and some custom hands. Seiko modding is all the craze.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Yeah that big cam which takes up half the caseback view is weighted such that it spins about based on watch orientation (i.e. it moves as you move) and is geared to essentially wind the watch for you. So as long as you move reasonably regularly, it will keep time.

How accurate a time it keeps, and how long it can go without movement to re-wind, obviously depends on the quality of the movement/caliber/guts of the watch. From what I've read, the Seiko 5's are quite good for this ... I've read some lose <4sec per day, others around 20 (which isn't great, but for someone like me <5min is fine as I have no time critical deadlines ... ever).

Yeah a Quartz is more accurate, but interestingly less desirable. I guess the craftmanship that goes into a mechanical watch is where the $$$ are.

My plan is to get the slightly larger SNKH63, but put the SNK809 dial in it and some custom hands. Seiko modding is all the craze.
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. I do love all the moving parts in mechanical watches. Still pretty set on the Timex at the moment though.

On a different note - this seems ridiculously cheap for something that is apparently authentic http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/emporio-armani-ar5890-mens-watch/

I don't want/like it - but my brother loves this brand. Too good to be true? They have other Emporios at a more realistic price. But this is so cheap.

scblack

Leucocholic
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. I do love all the moving parts in mechanical watches. Still pretty set on the Timex at the moment though.

On a different note - this seems ridiculously cheap for something that is apparently authentic http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/emporio-armani-ar5890-mens-watch/

I don't want/like it - but my brother loves this brand. Too good to be true? They have other Emporios at a more realistic price. But this is so cheap.
But its Almost Sold Out! You better grab it quick....

Beej1

Emporio Armani watches were among the most common watch I'd see in knock-off shops in Sth East Asia. I grabbed one myself for around that price about 5 years ago before I knew anything about watches (which I still only know about 1% about) and before I could tell the difference - apparently if I'd asked they would've openly admitted it was fake anyway, but I was just under the impression is was a bargain as well.

The craftmanship on the dial, case & bracelet of mine was decent enough and I liked the appearance, but the movement was obviously crappola as the battery lasted less than 2 months at a time. Funnily enough, it got stolen when I was broken into, and the photos I'd taken of it were enough for the insurance company to give me $400 for a replacement - which went toward a Roamer as a replacement.

Personally I'd avoid both fashion label watches and their knock-offs.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Emporio Armani watches were among the most common watch I'd see in knock-off shops in Sth East Asia. I grabbed one myself for around that price about 5 years ago before I knew anything about watches (which I still only know about 1% about) and before I could tell the difference - apparently if I'd asked they would've openly admitted it was fake anyway, but I was just under the impression is was a bargain as well.

The craftmanship on the dial, case & bracelet of mine was decent enough and I liked the appearance, but the movement was obviously crappola as the battery lasted less than 2 months at a time. Funnily enough, it got stolen when I was broken into, and the photos I'd taken of it were enough for the insurance company to give me $400 for a replacement - which went toward a Roamer as a replacement.

Personally I'd avoid both fashion label watches and their knock-offs.
True, I guess it's the name that sells and not the quality. I wasn't interested in the watch, just surprised at how cheap it was for what they are advertising as genuine.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
This is my set up

tag_wv211a.ba0787.jpg 4881-STC-00209.jpg

I wear the Tag as my day to day work and more dress up functions and the Raymond Weil as more casual weekend wear.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
A few months ago i got bored and thought I'd organise all my watches in the one place and get some snaps for here. Evidently I got sidetracked and never got round to posting them. Now I'm at work, im even more bored and I've just found all the photos on my phone so here goes the Stella collection:

W1.jpg
Shiny Diesel watch. I like Diesel's watches, I've had a few over the years and they always tend to be a bit left-field

w2.jpg
Boring Quiksilver watch. Is good for telling me the local tides but that's about it

w3.jpg
Good old G-Shock!

w4.jpg
Another Diesel. The LCD display whirls round like an old-school radar screen. It's fucking awesome.

w5.jpg
Puma Sports watch with HR monitor. Loved the look of this thing. Shame it gets scratched to the point of unreadable by air molecules.

w6.jpg
Casio calculator. My work watch

w7.jpg
Divex stainless steel divers watch. Promo item from a commercial diving supplies company. Does the job alright but it's no Rolex Submariner

w8.jpg
Tag Heur Formula One. Bought on a drunken whim in the duty free store in Manila airport largely because it had 'Formula One' written on it. I keep meaning to get a Tag Monaco to accompany it but I keep buying toys instead.

And finally, la piece de resistance!

w9.jpg

Nothing oozes class like a Chinese Dragon emblazoned Rolex of possibly dubious origin with 'ruby', 'diamond' and 'sapphire' studs.
Guaranteed knicker-wetter!

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Has anyone had experience with soviet era watches? I've been keeping an eye out on ebay for one of these guys. It'd probably look really cool with a NATO strap... ironic.

Vostok Komandirskie
I've got one with a naval motif. Mechanical movement. Runs ok. Looks nice and quirky but unfortunately the glass is already cracked.

Got sidetracked at the weekend when I was supposed to be doing paperwork. Damn you internet! i now have another 3 watches and a rubber strap making their way here.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone knowledgeable in soviet watches? interested in some of the soviet watches on ebay, however when it comes to ebay its damn hard to tell if its a genuine or fake. So to those whom have or bought some soviet watches, where did you buy them from and are their some easily detectable signs of fakes?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
A bit off topic but has anyone using a smart watch while riding? What's the battery life like etc...

I hate having my phone make all sorts of alerts in my hydrapack, I'm liking the idea of being able to quickly check a msg instead of digging around in the bag only to find it's spam instead of something that I need to respond to. Also having built in heart rate and other fitness apps is a plus.

Discuss.

This is the model I'm looking at

Last edited:

Beej1

This is the model I'm looking at
LG?

I'm interested in knowing if anyone's tried a smartwatch out also. I'm interested in the Motorola one - primarily because I'm eyeing off either the New Moto X or a Nexus6 as my next phone, and I'm a brand-match nerd.