The watch thread.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
LG?

I'm interested in knowing if anyone's tried a smartwatch out also. I'm interested in the Motorola one - primarily because I'm eyeing off either the New Moto X or a Nexus6 as my next phone, and I'm a brand-match nerd.
Yeah, it's the LG http://www.lg.com/global/gwatch/index.html#outdoorstyle

I thinking this one because is looks more like a conventional watch and is compatible with android.

I know one of the reasons I ride is to get away from everything and switch off for a bit, but I recently went through a couple of things where I needed to be contactable and I think something like this would have been pretty handy.

Or is it another gadget that the battery will die in 6 months (after it's ruined my phones battery through bluetooth use) to be chucked in a drawer at home and forgotten about...

rone

Eats Squid
Anybody had any experience with vostok watches? liked the look of this one; the price seems good too....

http://vostok-europe.com.au/products/gaz-14-limousine-chrono-15619133
There are heaps of good Russian watches to choose from. Vostok Europe went tits-up a few years back - this website is a newer company formed from the ashes. The Komandirskie Vostok mechanicals are the ones to look out for. I got a beautiful K34 titanium glass-back mechanical watch on ebay a year or so ago for under $300.

Last edited:

Beej1

Yeah, it's the LG http://www.lg.com/global/gwatch/index.html#outdoorstyle

I thinking this one because is looks more like a conventional watch and is compatible with android.

I know one of the reasons I ride is to get away from everything and switch off for a bit, but I recently went through a couple of things where I needed to be contactable and I think something like this would have been pretty handy.
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you need the phone in order to send/receive data over wireless/cellular networks. As in, I don't think smartphones have such chips in them to function that way on their own. It's designed to pair with your phone (prob via Bluetooth) and just means you don't have to pull it out of your pocket/bag/whatever. Plus I think the sell is there's extra features so it's more than just a notification tool - some have fitness recording equipment in them.

Plus I'm pretty sure the bulk of available Smart Watches are Android compatible. Apple only just released one, and Microshaft I think just have a fitness band, so the rest are mostly Android.

Finally ... the Moto 360 is plenty watch-looking. Any of the circular models will have screens enabling them to look like regular watches:

Moto-360-Metal-band (800x481).jpg

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Pretty much all that is correct.

I did a bit of research last night and had a read up the LG on a massive thread on Whirlpool, lots of fanbois, but it has sold me on the LG over the Moto 360 (battery life, changeable bands, recessed screen etc). Now to look for Xmas sales...

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Anybody had any experience with vostok watches? liked the look of this one; the price seems good too....

http://vostok-europe.com.au/products/gaz-14-limousine-chrono-15619133
Was close to pulling the trigger on a Vostok 'Anchar', but recently picked up a Bulova Precionist instead. As a fuller figured athlete, I wanted something a little bigger & bulkier than normal. They're suppose to be accurate within 10 seconds a year & has a sweeping 2nd hand. I purchased it from Amazon (not from one of their 3rd party sellers) & it came with a Bulova 'International Warranty'.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ist+for+men&sprefix=bulova+precionist,aps,751

Winno

Likes Dirt
Just picked up my Christmas present today - an Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot Date.
No pics until after my wife gives it to me on Christmas Day.

This makes watch number 6.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
I got a new watch:

Casio G-Shock
Watch G-Shock.JPG

I came so-close to plumping for this one, RedBull Infiniti F1 team watch:
Watch RedBull.JPG

binner

Hath shat hymself
Data bank

Just found another stash of my Dads...
Casio e data
Here are some fat stats on it....

-memory protect
-e data memory 50
-telememo 300
-world time
-illumination
-5 alarm

What more do you need.........

Attachments

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Just bought one of these on the unternet... a Seiko SKX007K2 Divers.

I wanted a cheap automatic divers, as I'm sick of changing batteries, and these get the nod... hopefully I won't find it too big a lump, as both my current divers are only 38mm.

Anyway, these get a lot of love, so we will see.

Attachments

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My fifth wedding anniversary / 30th birthday are coming up and I'm thinking about getting a nice watch.

Currently have a $200 Lorus or something that has lasted me 8 years, but want a upgrade. I've had a quick look - the Tag Carrera Calibre 16 looks good, but for $6000 or so that might be a little extravagant. Also want a good watch, not just to pay for a name......

I'd like the following in a watch:
-Scratch proof face
-Date
-Maybe a stopwatch function
-Doesn't have to be a dive watch, but would be cool if it was

Budget probably 3-4k. Any pointers? Things I should avoid?

John U

MTB Precision
My fifth wedding anniversary / 30th birthday are coming up and I'm thinking about getting a nice watch.

Currently have a $200 Lorus or something that has lasted me 8 years, but want a upgrade. I've had a quick look - the Tag Carrera Calibre 16 looks good, but for $6000 or so that might be a little extravagant. Also want a good watch, not just to pay for a name......

I'd like the following in a watch:
-Scratch proof face
-Date
-Maybe a stopwatch function
-Doesn't have to be a dive watch, but would be cool if it was

Budget probably 3-4k. Any pointers? Things I should avoid?
Get an Omega Seamaster.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you ride a foxy? Those square abominations are putrid. uke: :llama:
As if...
Their Space 3 is round, has a stopwatch and all the other elements he was after.

Granted, some of their watches are more gaudy than most would aim for but dig a little deeper....

Attachments

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
As if...
Their Space 3 is round, has a stopwatch and all the other elements he was after.

Granted, some of their watches are more gaudy than most would aim for but dig a little deeper....
I was referring to this monstrosity some tool emailed me...
...might as well strap Big Ben to you arm.

Also, I did use the :llama: emote in my reply.