The You Yangs Thread

trav

Likes Dirt
What is this new EPIC (not my capitals) trail?

https://www.facebook.com/YYMBI
The new "EPIC " is the latest trail being designed constructed totally buy the You Yangs MTB inc trail crew.

Once completed it will link the Stockyards to the front of the park around the eastern boundry , stage 1 should be complete in a month or so .

This project has been funded buy You Yangs MTB inc and PV, with some assistance from GMBC.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
The new "EPIC " is the latest trail being designed constructed totally buy the You Yangs MTB inc trail crew.

Once completed it will link the Stockyards to the front of the park around the eastern boundry , stage 1 should be complete in a month or so .

This project has been funded buy You Yangs MTB inc and PV, with some assistance from GMBC.
Wow, thanks trav, that does sound fantastic.

emerthis

Likes Dirt

You guys are doing great work out there. While not all mountain-bikers are fans of the way the YY trails are constructed, the vast majority of us really love to ride there - and I think you are providing an excellent blueprint as pioneers of working with PV for MTBers generally. One day I hope to get you to come and take a look at our little network, for some constructive input.

Cheers,
Emerson
(President, Plenty Gorge MTB)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to head down to the Yangs really soon and I was wondering if there were any track repair/maintenance days scheduled in the near future? Also, in light of recent weather that damaged Lysterfield, has there much damage to the You Yangs?

Cheers,

Mark.

Big JD

Wheel size expert

could see alot of work on the epic trail along the front of the park- from the road. Looks great Trav- alot of work. How long till its open mate?

Optic

Likes Dirt
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to head down to the Yangs really soon and I was wondering if there were any track repair/maintenance days scheduled in the near future? Also, in light of recent weather that damaged Lysterfield, has there much damage to the You Yangs?

Cheers,

Mark.
Not sure about trail works but I know that the you yangs handle the wet weather fine, one of the best places to ride at during winter.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
funds for trails

could see alot of work on the epic trail along the front of the park- from the road. Looks great Trav- alot of work. How long till its open mate?[/QUOTE

We are hoping late October mate,still a lot of work to go .
great effort Trav- many thanks. Never got my YYMTBINC t shirt- will have to renew my membership. Still have XL size in black.

Dont mean to open a can of worms but what are your thoughts (and Parks) on a user pays structure for the Youies. We all love riding there and the trails are great but how can you continue to build and maintain without funds. It is a labor of love for you and your crew but that cant last. I imagine Parks have some cash to put into it and the INC would raise enough for a day here and there. Do you get grants? I just cant see how renewing my membership is enough. How many riders a year use the park? Gold coin donation would help i would think.

Last edited:

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
great effort Trav- many thanks. Never got my YYMTBINC t shirt- will have to renew my membership. Still have XL size in black.

Dont mean to open a can of worms but what are your thoughts (and Parks) on a user pays structure for the Youies. We all love riding there and the trails are great but how can you continue to build and maintain without funds. It is a labor of love for you and your crew but that cant last. I imagine Parks have some cash to put into it and the INC would raise enough for a day here and there. Do you get grants? I just cant see how renewing my membership is enough. How many riders a year use the park? Gold coin donation would help i would think.
I'd happily pay $5 everytime I ride there to help

OT

Likes Dirt
It is a labor of love for you and your crew but that cant last.
It is a labour of love and it's lasted well over 10 years so far. The first time I met Trav was when a mate Dishy was helping him build the first DH track at the yy's, 10 years or so ago. I think Trav was already well established then as the main trail builder. Since then I see him building trails, not riding, most times I'm out there. The trails just keep getting better. Lactic into track 2 has to be one of the best xc descents in Vic.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
funds for fun

It is a labour of love and it's lasted well over 10 years so far. The first time I met Trav was when a mate Dishy was helping him build the first DH track at the yy's, 10 years or so ago. I think Trav was already well established then as the main trail builder. Since then I see him building trails, not riding, most times I'm out there. The trails just keep getting better. Lactic into track 2 has to be one of the best xc descents in Vic.
what can I say the guy has alot of love to give but seriously- the guy should be gamefully employed to do what he does. It is a fultime job and he should be paid to do it at some stage in the next 10 years I think.

What if Parks employed him and a few others to plan, build and maintain all the trails on Parks land. Look at the volumes of people to Youies to ride in the past 13 years.

I too would be more than happy to pay for the right to ride there if it went back to the trail crew. Perhaps we could see if they would put a donation box in the ranger station for starters and we could pop in on our way through- if you start over there.

Would anyone else be cool with popping some funds into the ranger station if you are in the area or am i speaking crap.

Slow Mick are you saying there is somewhere over at Drysdale Rd- shelter/bbq.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
I can honestly say I have never seen a donation box anywhere. But in saying that, I would be happy to donate some money for the trails.

Never met Trav, but hear good things about him - so from me personally. thank you Trav, your work is greatly appreciate by myself. I completely enjoy my odd ride there now and again.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Tree down

Hi everyone,
Just letting everyone know that there is a fair size tree down about half way down Turbulance. You can't really miss it. Not if you ride as slowly as me.
Also got chatting to an Italian guy called Valerio (I think), was riding a Giant Reign, mate I should off given you my number, would off been nice to have someone to ride with. If your on this site pm me. Chris

Attachments

slowmick

38-39"
JD - the crew are heading the You Yangs on Sunday morning. I will take a picture of the Yellow Post and put it up here. :becky:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
had the best ride last night- saw an echidna, herd of wild goats, owl, rock wallaby, a mouse and heaps of rabbits