The You Yangs Thread

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Aren't tyre pressures a little meaningless without knowing how much you + gear weigh?
I just go by feel, if it feels a little flat Ill pump it up if it feels a little too full ill let some out.
Using this crap theory over the years I have figured my pressures are best in the ranges I quoted before.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I just go by feel, if it feels a little flat Ill pump it up if it feels a little too full ill let some out.
Using this crap theory over the years I have figured my pressures are best in the ranges I quoted before.
+1 here - I tend to start quite high and if I feel I lack grip I just let a little out and try again. If it feels like I'm riding across a bunch of jelly bellies I'll pump +5psi in and see how that goes.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Thanks to mywifeisirrational for a guided tour of the Youies yesterday!
So much cool terrain and superbly made trails. Some of the steeper stuff like Bandages & Turbulence are brown trousers scary (for me).
Definitely going back for more. :D

Was driving home and passed by a dude with a Banshee stealth black Darkside on the back of his Ute.

Immediately I thought "Something...Something...Something...Darkside. Something...Something...Something...Complete."

Last edited:

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
Haha that would of been me that passed you in the green ute with the Black Darkside.
Second outing on it once I sort out the rear shock she will be rad !!!
Hahaha

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Haha that would of been me that passed you in the green ute with the Black Darkside.
Second outing on it once I sort out the rear shock she will be rad !!!
Hahaha
Awesome! I'd be interested to get some feedback on how it rides. Darkside looks like a total Youies and Shuttle day weapon. :becky:

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
Awesome! I'd be interested to get some feedback on how it rides. Darkside looks like a total Youies and Shuttle day weapon. :becky:
Sweet will deff let ya know once I get a few my hrs on her. Kept bottoming out the rear shock, opened it up and found that cane creek didn't but enough volume spacers in there from factory. One phone call and a week later they rocked up at my door ( today ) just finished installing em so will be able to give her a flogging now haha.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Beautiful day out at the Youies today. Great weather, tracks in tip top shape.

But where is everyone?

Was like a ghost town, probably saw 10 riders in 3 hrs.

Get out there and burn off that Christmas pud.....

Last edited:

Markee

Likes Dirt
I was there last Sunday and Monday, it was a ghost town on Monday too. Went to Lysty yesterday and got drenched but was still great riding burning off xmas day excess!

Drjft

Squid
Beautiful day out at the Youies today. Great weather, tracks in tip top shape.

But where is everyone?

Was like a ghost town, probably saw 10 riders in 3 hrs.

Get out there and burn off that Christmas pud.....
I was there, too (on Christmas Day), and the problem is the inaccessibility of the tracks.

I drove down from Brunswick (third time riding there) and after doing one run of Cressy I just left. It's far too tiring to get up the push tracks (especially when you have to repeatedly lift your bike over obstacles) and then ride down, and then keep going, especially with how hot it gets out there.

Far more Shuttle Days would make the Youies a much more alluring treat, otherwise I'll just keep riding Warburton and doing private shuttles with my mates...

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Howdy
I always use track 4 to get back up to the top,think it's called Rockwell. It's long but quite easy to ride. This way I get about 6 or 7 runs in before my legs give up.
At least you get to drive there, I have to ride from Fitzroy north to Southern Cross then train to Little river and ride to the Stockyards. Bloody killer on a hot day. Must admit every time I go there I think about buying a car. Anyway give track 4 a go it's not to bad unless your on a Downhill bike.

Drjft

Squid
Howdy
I always use track 4 to get back up to the top,think it's called Rockwell. It's long but quite easy to ride. This way I get about 6 or 7 runs in before my legs give up.
At least you get to drive there, I have to ride from Fitzroy north to Southern Cross then train to Little river and ride to the Stockyards. Bloody killer on a hot day. Must admit every time I go there I think about buying a car. Anyway give track 4 a go it's not to bad unless your on a Downhill bike.
If you're ever looking to head out, send me a PM. I have a Triton and I am more than happy to meet new people. :)

gregp

Likes Dirt
Agree with dynamite 100%, track 4 Rockwell Run is your ticket to the top, it's laid out really well and actually makes climbing fun... I too was once discouraged by the push up on the fire roads, and switched to Rockwell permanently. Just watch out for this massive Eastern Brown that lives there and sometimes comes out to say hello. Can't help you with the heat bro. I agree, when it's warm in Melb, it's fcking hot at the YYs. Was there a few weeks ago on a 30C+ day, it felt so hot and dry I aborted after about 8k's and drove down to Lysterfield which has plenty of shade. Turned out to be a 95km drive, haha...

gregp

Likes Dirt
is this the guy your talking about saw him last week on Rockwell run
Yeah that's him alright.

I don't know what I'm talking about but would it make sense to get a snake catcher to move him somewhere else? Multiple sightings, he looks large/mature and does not get out of the way easily. I shit my pants everytime I ride there nowadays...

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Yeah that's him alright.

I don't know what I'm talking about but would it make sense to get a snake catcher to move him somewhere else? Multiple sightings, he looks large/mature and does not get out of the way easily. I shit my pants everytime I ride there nowadays...
Nooooo!

Just keep your eyes open, and if you see him leave him alone. Or her.