The You Yangs Thread

Anyone been eliminated by the Eliminator recently ? Rode there last Thursday and took a pretty decent digger at the bottom of the rock garden. Was wearing all the right gear, so nothing too serious in the way of injuries, just a bruised knee and scraped elbow. Looking back, it seems my front wheel dropped into a sizable hole between two rocks at the bottom of the left hand line, sending me OTB. Friend of a friend says two of his mates got caught out in exactly the same place, so I don't feel too bad :eek:hwell:
On a slightly different note, after a four month absence from the Youies it seems many of the Stockyards trails have copped a hammering over the summer months, Lactic Acid in particular. Also noticed that The Eliminator has a few water erosion runnels across the higher parts of the track and many of the lips on the drops have become undercut, although given the tracks location this is not totally unexpected. Not trying to take a swipe at anyone, as I'm really excited by the progress being made on the Epic trail and I realize that money and manpower resources for building and maintenance are limited; just an observation.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ate crap in the same spot this arvo actually! Seems the left hand line down the rock garden is not the right one... Although I probably hesitated a little given I am nursing a knee injury!

Also I think you are right regarding some of the erosion issues, some maintenance needed in a few spots - that said I have seen it much worse... What does need to be done though is for riders / people to stop dropping Gel, Mars Bar, Muscle Bar wrappers - FFS put them in your pocket when you are done!!!

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Snakes still out and about. Came across this fella on the fire road from Drysdale carpark up to Boulder today.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
thats a good size Boomer
Yeah, good 5 to 6ft I reckon. The guy ahead of me must have nearly ridden over it and not noticed.

Took 4 minutes at least before it decided to head off into the scrub.

Last edited:

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really hits home when you ride that stretch of road regularly; we were actually debating whether or not to come back home that way on Saturday... Not good at all!

On the topic of You Yang's, if you are riding and pass someone riding the opposite direction who greets you with a friendly G'day, fucking say something back! SNOBS! :heh:
I didn't know MTB had become the elitist snobby sport that it has, not too unlike road or tri!!! :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

dunndog

Eats Squid
That hit and run is absolutely terrible. I said to my wife a couple nights ago though, it smacks of being deliberate. A straight, empty stretch of road, plenty of room, even if a decent person hit the panic button and left the scene surely their conscience would catch up with them and they'd turn themselves in. This prick needs to be locked up for second degree murder.

On another note, who here is going to the Ride 4 Kids day this coming Sunday? Riding Dh or trail bikes?

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Well it was my first time down in VIC and I caught up with another fifo (steve) who had a spare bike. .. All I can say is that the you yangs are awesome. The trails are very well kept, there is heaps of grip (even if it doesn't look like it), the trails are fun and flowy (did cressy's, trevors, lactic acid, the whole of tail 14 and a few others. .. Really cool location.

I'll be down again soon with my own bike next time soon.

Well it was my first time down in VIC and I caught up with another fifo (steve) who had a spare bike. .. All I can say is that the you yangs are awesome. The trails are very well kept, there is heaps of grip (even if it doesn't look like it), the trails are fun and flowy (did cressy's, trevors, lactic acid, the whole of tail 14 and a few others. .. Really cool location.

I'll be down again soon with my own bike next time soon.
Glad you enjoyed it- if your the guy I remember- you spoke to my mate and I at the first carpark regarding which trails to go on-

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Big lucky bastard.
Yeah I am

I rode my new XC HT out there yesterday and really struggled in the rock gardens. Never used to but this bike is very light and xc and struggled. Not sure if a longer travel and stiffer fork would help- it is what it is. I suppose it amounts to 3% of the total ride- small price to pay for the benefits of the other 97%