Thinking of giving a gravel bike a crack

Mitten

Likes Bikes
I'm the negative SoB.. I bought a Norco Search XR S1 early last year as I had the gravel bug (peer pressure to buy one) and I really hated riding it on gravel lol.
20 odd years of mountain biking had conditioned me to a comfy, smooth ride, not my fillings getting shaken out of my mouth or the kick back through the hoods on rougher gravel roads. Plus I hated the twitchy handling the short wheelbase bike gives (some love it though).
A few mates went from mtb's to gravel bikes and never looked back, I just couldn't get my body to like it.

I spent quite a few evenings modding it to make it more user friendly (and like a mtb..) but ended up realising I'm just not cut out for drop bars (I'm also big and heavy..) and I sold it (for only a $200 loss which was good).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm the negative SoB.. I bought a Norco Search XR S1 early last year as I had the gravel bug (peer pressure to buy one) and I really hated riding it on gravel lol.
20 odd years of mountain biking had conditioned me to a comfy, smooth ride, not my fillings getting shaken out of my mouth or the kick back through the hoods on rougher gravel roads. Plus I hated the twitchy handling the short wheelbase bike gives (some love it though).
A few mates went from mtb's to gravel bikes and never looked back, I just couldn't get my body to like it.

I spent quite a few evenings modding it to make it more user friendly (and like a mtb..) but ended up realising I'm just not cut out for drop bars (I'm also big and heavy..) and I sold it (for only a $200 loss which was good).
I'm still yet to do some proper gravel riding on this bike. I've done little bits of dirt here and there and it's been ok, but nothing real as yet. I'm only building enough fitness to do the long rides to work, which take in proper gravel (fucking my back this week didn't help) and when I do get time on the weekends, the mountain bike comes out.

I'll get there, and report back when I do. However, @Mitten I was at first fearful that I'd feel the same as you do about it all.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Meh. people spending 3+k on a drop bar road bike with wider tyres. Here's my gravel bike, Shimano Tourney and Altus gears (12 years old, zero issues), rim brakes, 35c tyres and wider bars. I thrash the shit out of it and it never misses a beat. Paid $200 for it.

Attachments

Reactions: PJO

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Meh. people spending 3+k on a drop bar road bike with wider tyres. Here's my gravel bike, Shimano Tourney and Altus gears (12 years old, zero issues), rim brakes, 35c tyres and wider bars. I thrash the shit out of it and it never misses a beat. Paid $200 for it.
My dad has possibly the same frameset in a different colour. Got to say it's actually a really nice bike to ride, so noodly but in a good way - it's so friggen comfy. His one's clapped out though so it's all good until you need to brake. o_O

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

beeb

I was initially worried, then quite impressed by strength of my carbon forks. I've occasionally accidentally ridden sections of trails much rougher than expected and they've been rock-solid (especially in terms of compliance, lol). While you've gotta feel bad for the dude, unless the manufacturer was negligent during construction or whoever did the engineering massively ballsed up the specs it sounds like more like shit luck and a freak failure to me. Sucks for him to be sure, but not convinced he deserves 10-million pounds in compensation.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Anyone got any suggestions for good fenders (I think that's what the cool kicds call mudguards, right?).

I can ride in some light rain, but having road/bike path grime flicked up into my mouth aint a thang.

Anyone used any shop bought ones, or got a good template and suggestion for material that they'd offer up?

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Anyone got any suggestions for good fenders (I think that's what the cool kicds call mudguards, right?).

I can ride in some light rain, but having road/bike path grime flicked up into my mouth aint a thang.

Anyone used any shop bought ones, or got a good template and suggestion for material that they'd offer up?
I've got a pair that are similar to or are these:
I think they're pretty generic and a few brands have the same

The only spray I get is the wake from the front wheel in deeper puddles. I found everything else still allowed for the front wheel to throw water up in front.
Only downside is a max 40c tire

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've got a pair that are similar to or are these:
I think they're pretty generic and a few brands have the same

The only spray I get is the wake from the front wheel in deeper puddles. I found everything else still allowed for the front wheel to throw water up in front.
Only downside is a max 40c tire

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I bet they'd stop a lot! Might be a little on the large side compared to what I was thinking, TBH.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

I use these on the monstercross
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/zefal-no-mud-universal-mudguard-front-or-rear-97140.html

My wife uses these.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/crud-road-racer-mk3-mudguards-94775.html

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

beeb

Ok, this is the one - new 12 speed mechanical GRX and carbon wheels. And no headset routed cables thank dog! This is sorta what the new Defy should have been and this is bang on for what I want - a road bike for crappy roads rather than an all out gravel focus.

I like that they included a long chainstay setting on these. Not a luxury that's often found these days!

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, this is the one - new 12 speed mechanical GRX and carbon wheels. And no headset routed cables thank dog! This is sorta what the new Defy should have been and this is bang on for what I want - a road bike for crappy roads rather than an all out gravel focus.

53mm tyre clearance is a nice bonus. Lots of all out gravel bikes don’t accomodate that!