Thinking of giving a gravel bike a crack

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ok, this is the one - new 12 speed mechanical GRX and carbon wheels. And no headset routed cables thank dog! This is sorta what the new Defy should have been and this is bang on for what I want - a road bike for crappy roads rather than an all out gravel focus.

Out of interest, what is it that sets this bike apart from an all-our gravel bike?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
2x, no suspension fork, no dropper and light wheels. It’s still a gravel bike, just one that could pass for a roadie well enough if you squint :)
I would have thought that 2x would be better on most gravel bikes. Wouldn't the extra range and efficiency be better at the higher speeds that a gravel bike runs at?

If I were ever to get a gravel bike it would be something like this but 2x. So most likely and older MTB hardtail so it does have 2x as I don't think anything new would run that these days.
1706044484782.png

Only thing is that I'm not sure my back would handle drop bars. So I might be a gravel bike that has a MTB frame, wheels, dropper post, and flat bars. :p

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I would have thought that 2x would be better on most gravel bikes. Wouldn't the extra range and efficiency be better at the higher speeds that a gravel bike runs at?

If I were ever to get a gravel bike it would be something like this but 2x. So most likely and older MTB hardtail so it does have 2x as I don't think anything new would run that these days.
View attachment 406477
Only thing is that I'm not sure my back would handle drop bars. So I might be a gravel bike that has a MTB frame, wheels, dropper post, and flat bars. :p
Most of the “hardcore” gravel bikes are all adapted mtb 1x systems. Dunno, spose it depends where and how you ride but for me and around Hobart it’s either slogging up monster hills in as low a gear as I can get my grubby mitts on, or hanging on for dear life at warp speed down again. Hence 2x for me :)

Stredda

Macky from Syd and Macky youtube channel has a nice Niner RDO and he runs 2x and its full sus!
1706047477779.png

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Macky from Syd and Macky youtube channel has a nice Niner RDO and he runs 2x and its full sus!
View attachment 406478
I don't mind that channel but I still don't get the point of a bike like this, especially when something like a Specialized Epic is an absolute rocket on the climbs anyway, but will destroy something like that on literally any descent.

Better yet, just buy an old 2x Jet9 RDO and save a boatload of money.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'd like to try a gravel bike with suspension just to see what it's like, but I can't see anything with suspension that splindly (thinking of the fork) actually providing any meaningful benefit on any actual trails. Might have a marginal benefit over washboard corrugations, but I feel like bigger tyres would come out pretty even overall even with the drop in wind resistance the comfort would have to be similar, with the benefit of stiffer fork and more precise handling overall.

Haakon

I can totally see the value of a suspended gravel bike, and basically its warp speed situations. Rough sealed roads or hard pack dirt roads and long arse fast descents and this thing would be unbeatable.

Stredda

The guy that rides that Factor bike above uses that bike on more rougher courses as he reckons you get less fatigued if you have a little more comfort. He has some good videos on tyre rolling resistance, aero, nutrition and training.

I don't mind that channel but I still don't get the point of a bike like this, especially when something like a Specialized Epic is an absolute rocket on the climbs anyway, but will destroy something like that on literally any descent.

Better yet, just buy an old 2x Jet9 RDO and save a boatload of money.
It is likely that their sponsor at the time was Niner and they were pushing their gravel bikes. I think it's the flats where this bike would shine over and Epic, but that would mainly because of the aero advantage of the drop bars and bigger gearing.
It's all horses for courses though. If you were really serious you would have two or three different bikes or bike setups to suit the course.

Haakon

Basically I just want a roadie that doesn’t feel like it will kill me when I fail to miss the stupid amounts of rubbish road “repairs” and recessed metal services covers in the bitumen… Hobart roads are a complete war zone!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Basically I just want a roadie that doesn’t feel like it will kill me when I fail to miss the stupid amounts of rubbish road “repairs” and recessed metal services covers in the bitumen… Hobart roads are a complete war zone!
Is there anything in life you're happy about?

smiffy

Likes Bikes
Noticed this the other day, this was a mtb race last year in Alice Springs, that didn't really get much traction (pun intended),

Gravel Muster

now re-branded into a gravel event. I guess with the rising popularity, it might be a sign of things to come, event organisers having to change and adapt with the times.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Most of the “hardcore” gravel bikes are all adapted mtb 1x systems. Dunno, spose it depends where and how you ride but for me and around Hobart it’s either slogging up monster hills in as low a gear as I can get my grubby mitts on, or hanging on for dear life at warp speed down again. Hence 2x for me :)
I think originally, gravel bikes were just CX bikes with taller gearing, disc brakes and no top tube adaptations (for carrying as in CX) like all things, a bunch of people took to them, and as even more came to the party, they all wanted to go in different directions. So now, I need a gravel hard tail, gravel XC short travel and a gravel hardcore long travel... it's a Giant conspiracy {replace Giant with multiple brands}

If I were going to get a "gravel" bike I'm just getting it for a mix of road and gravel/dirt trails, so I can take it touring and maybe do some coastal trails and dirt roads. Even a good option for crappy weather road riding - bigger tyres, more grip. I already have a quiver MTBs; HT, XC dual, and trail dual suspension, so I have all the different riding conditions covered - at this point I can't see why I'd want to duplicate this quiver in a "gravel" bike. But then I have not drunk the kool aid yet.

Last edited:

Haakon

I think originally, gravel bikes were just CX bikes with taller gearing, disc brakes and no top tube adaptations (for carrying as in CX) like all things, a bunch of people took to them, and as even more came to the party, they all wanted to go in different directions. So now, I need a gravel hard tail, gravel XC short travel and a gravel hardcore long travel... it's a Giant conspiracy {replace Giant with multiple brands}

If I were going to get a "gravel" bike I'm just getting it for a mix of road and gravel/dirt trails, so I can take it touring and maybe do some coastal trails and dirt roads. Even a good option for crappy weather road riding - bigger tyres, more grip. I already have a quiver MTBs; HT, XC dual, and trail dual suspension, so I have all the different riding conditions covered - at this point I can't see why I'd want to duplicate this quiver in a "gravel" bike. But then I have not drunk the cool aid yet.
I was originally jsut going to get a new Defy as they do decent tyre clearance now. But alas the Defy and virtually all “endurance” style roadies have drunk the internal headset routed cable kool aid and are going to surprisingly aggressive geo. So many of the lighter “gravel” bikes are essentially what the endurance roadies used to be…

Stredda

Gravel is a strange road to go down (pun intended). The Devils Cardigan here in Tassie has been the National Championship race a couple of years running. I've done if for a laugh on my Levo SL. Some riders say it's not "true gravel" because it's a bit rough and chunky in places.
I hear the term "Champane Gravel" thrown around, which from what I can make out is super smooth gravel to the point that it may as well be tarmac.
For the most part, gravel in the racing form, is for roadies that want to seem hardcore. :p For everyone else gravel is anything that isn't dirt or tarmac and you either tour around on it, to get away from most of the traffic and explore, or its the bit you ride to get to the single track.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The recent RADL GRVL event kindly shown by Troy Brosnan in the linked video is a good indication of what 'Gravel' riders expect.
As with anything, the local terrain is the defining factor in how the term is used.

There are parts of this that are basically gravel coloured road, also a good slice of evidence for @Haakon and the 2x setup. The amount of people walking the hills is very amusing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For what it's worth, the top three were Tasman Nankervis, Brendan 'Trekky' Johnston and Adam Blazevic - all MTB'ers first

Stredda

The recent RADL GRVL event kindly shown by Troy Brosnan in the linked video is a good indication of what 'Gravel' riders expect.
As with anything, the local terrain is the defining factor in how the term is used.

There are parts of this that are basically gravel coloured road, also a good slice of evidence for @Haakon and the 2x setup. The amount of people walking the hills is very amusing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For what it's worth, the top three were Tasman Nankervis, Brendan 'Trekky' Johnston and Adam Blazevic - all MTB'ers first
Well at least that had a bit of everything in it, even some single track.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

Go superwide XL flared bars and a stem pointed up with a few spacers to keep the front high, its no more drop than HT MTB.

The thing that lowers the riding position is the stretch to get to the gravel bar hoods vs where the grips and brakes are on a HT.

Red is where your hands would be on a MTB, not factoring in backsweep.
Yellow, the reach of a mediocre set of drop bars is 70mm, then about 30mm for the hoods, placing hands up to 100mm further forward.

My IndyFab has a 33mm stem pointed up(ish) which is only a few mm, then 5 or 6 spacers under it. It was on the limit for a 2012 Med frame, the more modern HT's you'd be looking at sizing down a frame size to offset the drop bar reach and hoods.

Not my bike below, just a random web pic.

dghfghdfgfg.jpg

Haakon

All this is quite some time away, totally cant justify a new bike spend at present... But am considering this now

Alloy, and more road orientated which is where it will spend 80% at least of its time. Comes with basic kit - so will sell off the wheels and group and fit 12 speed mechanical 105 and some chinese carbon wheels. Will take 38mm tyres, comes with modern features, doesnt have stupid headset cable routing and has a nice flex carbon seat post.